Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Axles won't come off!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axles won't come off!!

Im trying to remove my front wheel hub to replace it and Im having issues removing the axle. Any ideas on how to remove them without banging them with a hammer or mallet?

Note: Only axle that has came off so far has been the front driver side axle. It seems all of the other axles are rusted within the spindle...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Having just helped my buddy with this a few weeks ago I can offer a recommendation. First are foremost (and it sounds like you already know this) do not start smashing it with a hammer. It is not going to come out, trust me. And not only is it not going to come out but you will also have to buy a new axle after you warp the threads and the hole where the clip for the castle nut goes.

The only way to separate the axle from the spindle is to pull off the spindle and use a shop press to press it out. If you do not have a press bring it to a mechanic or local machine shop. I was able to press it out with my 12ton HF press but I really did not think it was going to come out and it was actually quite scary, haha! I decided to give it one last press before calling it quits and the axle popped right out. It sounded like a gunshot and I thought I broke my press but sure enough the axle separated from the spindle.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Having just helped my buddy with this a few weeks ago I can offer a recommendation. First are foremost (and it sounds like you already know this) do not start smashing it with a hammer. It is not going to come out, trust me. And not only is it not going to come out but you will also have to buy a new axle after you warp the threads and the hole where the clip for the castle nut goes.

The only way to separate the axle from the spindle is to pull off the spindle and use a shop press to press it out. If you do not have a press bring it to a mechanic or local machine shop. I was able to press it out with my 12ton HF press but I really did not think it was going to come out and it was actually quite scary, haha! I decided to give it one last press before calling it quits and the axle popped right out. It sounded like a gunshot and I thought I broke my press but sure enough the axle separated from the spindle.
I don't look forward to any of that...At all!! Your input is much appreciated. I'll probably get to it when I get some motivation to pull the wheel assembly just to have the axle pressed out.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put anti seize on the axle splines it will save you lol
Old Nov 6, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hsve you tried maybe squirting some wd40 ?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

If he is having the same issue that my friend had it's not that the splines are seized but rather the part of the axle that sits inside the spindle is now frozen solid in there. Any amount of WD40 or a true penetrating oil is not going to help, nor is bashing it with a hammer.

I had it in my 12ton press and that struggled with it. Like I said I was about to give up as it was extremely difficult to pull down on the lever for the bottle jack, granted I didnt want to get right up next to it in fear of it exploding and injuring myself. I was able to easily press out all the bushings on my car so the fact that it struggled really exemplifies how stuck it was. You will be banging all day every day and it will never budge. Simple physics f=ma. You will not be able to swing a mallet quick enough to exert even close to 12tons.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:55 PM

The whole process is a pain; I wish it was as easy as spraying some lube on the splines...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree with everyone above. Spin castle nut back on, Bang repeatedly with BFH, but thats just me...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

^Is that from experience or just a hunch? I don't mean to come off as a d**k but based on my recent experience there is no way that'll work...I had this conversation with my buddy but we couldnt meet up for a week or so, so he tried the pb blaster and BFG method. It didnt work and he ruined his axle in the process. My 12ton press struggled breaking it loose.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, BFH = new axles.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Yeah, BFH = new axles.
TRUTH
Old Nov 7, 2014, 07:24 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
+1. Had to do the same on a friend's car.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
put the castle nut back on, thread it in enough so its flush with the axle then go Thor on it. If your aim isnt so great you can seat a block of wood over it and bang on it. Ive dont plenty of axles this way, and with an air hammer, and never ruined any axles. The trick is the nut put back on to protect the threads from damage. Worst case you damage the nut, but thats easy to replace.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
. Simple physics f=ma. You will not be able to swing a mallet quick enough to exert even close to 12tons.
True, but sometimes what your fighting is some oxidation build up. Sometimes it just takes a quick whack to free it up and then it will slide off. If you were to put it in a press then ya it may take a press that much force to fight off the oxidation, but a quick tap can free up that resistance and make your job alot easier.

Think of when a rotor gets seized on your hub. Its taking quite a bit of force for those screws to slowly push out the rotor. On the other hand, a quick tap with a hammer can free it up with much less effort.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Ehh I guess I see what you are getting at. The one I recently did just seemed so seized that I didn't think a hammer would do a thing. But to your point, the way I see it is that the bashing with a hammer isnt going to yield the same force as the press but rather will send vibrations which may help break through the corrosion? Is that correct or is it just the sudden acceleration from the impact relative to the smooth delivery of a press?

At the end of the day if bashing doesn't prevail you can always press it out. And if you choose to try bashing make sure to keep the nut on there as to not damage the threads. I guess I can get on board with that. Just based on my experience I didnt think bashing would do a single thing but given your experience I am not going to argue with you and say otherwise.

Quick Reply: Axles won't come off!!