Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KWv3 full lock noises

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:49 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KWv3 full lock noises

Hi all,

I got my KWv3's on finally, and just had the alignment and corner balance done. Everything is great except for one thing - a clunking noise at full lock, left or right. Only an issue when parking or doing a 90deg turn, but it's annoying (not to mention somewhat embarrassing!)

Anyway, the noise was there before and after alignment, and the alignment guys couldn't see anything out of the ordinary either when I asked them to check. Most other threads talk about noise while moving, but any ideas on this one? It sounds like the spring is rotating slightly and resettling, but nothing else is amiss.

One other thing, I have the Cusco top pillow ball mounts at the front for camber adjustment.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you install the helper springs too? What top hats did you use?

It sounds like it could be coilover noise from binding springs. You can get radial bearings or top plates that have a bearing built in so the spring can spin freely while under load.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 09:45 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Yep, KW got back to me telling me to install thrust bearings to eliminate the noise. I'm using Cusco camber plates which attach directly to the coilover via a pillow ball.

Now I guess the question is which bearing... I saw that Swift have the thrust sheets - any one know if they are any good?

Thanks for the response!

S.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
If you street drive, try to find a sealed thrust bearing if such a thing exists. Otherwise those bearings will get trashed fairly quickly.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 09:33 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
If you street drive, try to find a sealed thrust bearing if such a thing exists. Otherwise those bearings will get trashed fairly quickly.
I ended up getting thrust bearings from Elephant Racing. They use them on their Porsche race/street cars and it solved the issue 100%! Been meaning to post back to this thread to say that actually. Not sure their longevity but they are a well respected dedicated suspension company - all they do are racing and high performance street suspension components for Porsches.

Thanks!

S.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'm planning to install my torrington bearings soon. not sealed, but gonna mount it higher rather than lower which will help with the dirt a little. i also don't drive my evo in the rain or snow lol
Old Aug 21, 2017, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Spring bags should help minimize contamination of the bearings and also prevent rocks from accumulating in the lower spring perch. I have the Eibach installed on my Evo. They work well at the front, but at the rear, there is no ideal place for them to grip at the top of the coilover, so they have a tendency to slide down a bit. I may set up some velcro to hold them at the top.

https://pitstopusa.com/c-421033-chas...ng-covers.html