Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

SSB Designs Front Roll Center Correction Knuckles - 1.25 inch option

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
What are your plans with that ABS line? It's crazy close to the rotor.
The photo is deceiving. The portion that appears to be within 1/4" of the disk is actually "below" the disk and therefore is actually quite a bit further from the disk than it appears. However, I am contemplating wrapping the cable with reflective tape for an extra measure of temperature control. I could also put a zip tie on the cable to the left side of the cable mount to make the cable a bit more taught to pull it further way. Also, if you look at how cable lines up with the plane of knuckle facing the disk, its clear that the cable is about the same distance from the disk as stock. The difference is of course the heat shield.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
235/40-17 on 17x9 +32 mm offset. They are a bit shorter than the stock 235/45-17 size. Ride height is 25.5" from ground to front fender and 24.75" from ground to rear fender. I measure at the very lowest part of the top of the fender if that makes sense. My fenders are not rolled so the lip is slightly lower than where the body starts to curve inward to make the fender lip. The better number to compare is the centerline of the wheel to the fender. That's 13.5" front and 12.75" rear. Based on the info I have, this is about 1.25" lower at the front and 1" lower at the rear. The rear is pretty squat to provide near stock rake. With Dallas' camber/caster plates, I'm getting nearly 6 degrees of caster.
Thanks for the info! Going to see how my car compares later to see which version would be better suited for my car. And rake definitely plays a large part in caster, with a set of Dallas' camber plates and offset LCA bushings (more offset than PSRS) I'm still only at like 5.5° of caster, I think it's so low because of the rake I have.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
What are your plans with that ABS line? It's crazy close to the rotor.
The sensor is in the same orientation though just a little lower than the OEM location. My original set had the sensor vertical but I re-clocked these because the flat on the sensor just seemed like the right thing to do even though we havent had any issues on the older version. I am adding a ABS tiedown location on the top of the strut mount per Nimpocs feedback which is just a little further inboard than Mychailo was able to do his. Would be easy enough for anyone else to drill their own older versions as well, but future parts will already have it drilled.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Ready to hand over money...when your product is available for sale!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 07:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by iD33
Ready to hand over money...when your product is available for sale!
Im pretty much making things in an on-going process. So I have a basically 1 of each type (1.25" and 2" 8/9 and 1.5" X) all available though the 2" and 1.5" X is headed to anodizing today. Which version are you ready for?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

I finally had another chance to evaluate the knuckles, and my previous impressions are unchanged. The car bites much better at the front, notably at hard turn-in, it leans much less, and it generally feels much more like how I imagine a true sports car should feel. I do think that the SSB caster plates are a great item to do at the same time. The extra 1.5 deg of caster can be felt in the steering wheel, and I'm sure it helps with camber during turns.

So I think that knuckles in combination with the caster plates are perhaps the best handling upgrade that I've done to my Evo. The reality of course is that several upgrades - selected bushings, coilovers, SSB caster plates, perhaps RSB - need to be done all at once to get the most out of these knuckles.

Last edited by mrfred; Apr 7, 2018 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Apr 9, 2018)
Old Apr 7, 2018, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
PM sent Dallas.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just curious Mr Fred if you also have the Perrin PSRS bushings on the front LCA plus these caster plates?
It was a huge difference when I put the PSRS on my car with 9 mr struts and GTWorx springs... Now Im after a little lower on coilovers but was looking for more RC correction than the whiteline provided. having the adjustable bump steer is nice too, if that's built into this, doesnt look like it'd be hard to fab some bushings if it isn't.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 04:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Once you add caster the whiteline kit doesnt fix the bumpsteer. And actually, just using the WL lower ball joint (only 5mm of correction, or 15mm of RC change) with added caster works pretty well for bumpsteer. Adding the WL tie rod (also 5mm longer) increases bumpsteer.

But the SSB bumpsteer adjustment range is specifically tailored for the uprights built in ball joint movement, 3.5-7.5 deg of caster, and upwards of 10mm of added ball joint correction. So take all those combinations with the worst conditions and thats how I determined the range for bump steer adjustment.

And Mychailo has the Duroball offset bushings, very similar to the PSRS but I think maybe has some rubber in them and a little less offset?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 04:49 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
My control arms are at the same spot.. but my car is so high off the ground LOL. I'm jelly.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a nice looking kit! I have ohlins R&T coilovers but my car has not been dialled in yet. I also have a wavetrac front diff due soon so looking to improve anything i can.. What are these kits worth???
Old Jun 9, 2018, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by cerevo
Just curious Mr Fred if you also have the Perrin PSRS bushings on the front LCA plus these caster plates?
It was a huge difference when I put the PSRS on my car with 9 mr struts and GTWorx springs... Now Im after a little lower on coilovers but was looking for more RC correction than the whiteline provided. having the adjustable bump steer is nice too, if that's built into this, doesnt look like it'd be hard to fab some bushings if it isn't.
I do have offset bushings in my front control arm. I was able to pick up 1 deg caster (4.5 deg) over stock when using near-stock rake. With the SSB camber plates, I think I'm around 6 deg now. I can definitely feel the difference.

There's really no comparison in RC correction between the Whiteline kit and the SSB knuckles. Whiteline is more about good intentions while SSB is the real deal. The SSB kit does have adjustable steering rod positioning, so the bumpsteer can be zero'ed out for any setup. Its a very cool design.

Originally Posted by Mick_O
Thats a nice looking kit! I have ohlins R&T coilovers but my car has not been dialled in yet. I also have a wavetrac front diff due soon so looking to improve anything i can.. What are these kits worth???
Worth every penny they cost. :-)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So who do i pm about getting a price & 1 of these kits over to Australia?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

PM Sent
Old Jun 12, 2018, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I do have offset bushings in my front control arm. I was able to pick up 1 deg caster (4.5 deg) over stock when using near-stock rake. With the SSB camber plates, I think I'm around 6 deg now. I can definitely feel the difference.

There's really no comparison in RC correction between the Whiteline kit and the SSB knuckles. Whiteline is more about good intentions while SSB is the real deal. The SSB kit does have adjustable steering rod positioning, so the bumpsteer can be zero'ed out for any setup. Its a very cool design.

Worth every penny they cost. :-)
I want that.
Are you using the stock rubber bushing on the front of the lower control arm or a spherical, if so which spherical did you go with?

Quick Reply: SSB Designs Front Roll Center Correction Knuckles - 1.25 inch option