Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo 8 suspension alternative

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 suspension alternative

Hey Evo Fam,
Wondering if anybody can help. I'm in need of a front passenger strut replacement and been searching for a while. I used to have the Bilstein B6 all around but the front passenger blew and i need a replacement. Seeing that all the Bilstein have been back ordered for some time (ordered from Summit and it's been almost 2 months now) I need something as a replacement for now. I willing to go used to hold me over until the Bilstein ship, if it ever does. I've read about the Monroe but someone had said that it's not a fit for the Evo. I don't want to spend $300 for the OEM ones and was hoping there's a cheaper alternative. Anyone know of any other brands out there without going to coilovers or something too expensive?

thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 06:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Seems like all our regulars on the EvOM boards are on C/O'rs. Its time to convert over (haha)

Ive been on C/O'rs for so long i really dont have any good frame of ref for the stock replacements

Even my daily driver (Non Mitsu) is on C/O'rs

Good to see a member w/a hard core entry date still active

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 28, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
ooh that's a tough break and annoying situation! You can try Alex: sales@brewedmotorsports.com he's always been able to help out in those tricky situations
PS not sure how you blew the one strut but maybe its time to replace all 4 struts?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I've posted this in a few threads now. I waited seven months on a pair of Bilstein B6 front struts before finally cancelling my order with Summit. Ross Sport in the UK has the B6 front struts IN STOCK, and they were at my door within two days of ordering them. They were a little more expensive than ordering in the US, but well worth actually getting them in my hands, in my opinion.

https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/BIL...-7-9-35-118435
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tunermt
ooh that's a tough break and annoying situation! You can try Alex: sales@brewedmotorsports.com he's always been able to help out in those tricky situations
PS not sure how you blew the one strut but maybe its time to replace all 4 struts?
Dude it suck and im not sure it blew either .One day its fine, the next it's clanking like a **** .
Old Mar 3, 2019, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
pull it out and find out for sure
Old Mar 4, 2019, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

I already confirmed it's blown. There are oil leaking from the side and there are no resistant when pushing it in and out.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 03:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Bilsteins arent easily available anymore? Good to know I need to keep mine safely in the garage incase I ever want to use them again.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar, but a little off topic, would the 8/9 MR suspension be available new from Mitsu? The coveted Bilsteins?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Years ago a member sold me his struts, shocks and springs after installing coilovers. He found he had to use a professional packaging company before a shipper would accept the shipment. I doubt he had much profit after that. Since then I've used one front strut and one rear shock - money very well spent.