Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

SS brake lines install and removal of calipers questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SS brake lines install and removal of calipers questions

I plan on putting in extended studs this week. For this I need to unbolt the calipers anyways and since I planned to repaint the calipers I figured I might as well take them off completely and flush the brake fluid since its been in there since I bought the car in 2014 and upon installation I plan to throw in a set of SS brake lines as well.

My question is when I take off the calipers how do I prevent the brake fluid that is in the system from draining out completely. I don't want to introduce air/water into the system.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't matter if you introduce air/water into the system since you're bleeding anyway. If you want to minimize the mess from leaking fluid just cap the line once you take off the flex hose. Bleeder screw caps or vacuum line plugs work good for this. Or you can leave the flex line on until you are ready and shove a rubber stopper or valve stem where the banjo bolt goes to stop it from leaking.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
As MechTech stated, it really doesn't matter as you'll be bleeding the brakes anyway. I have tried the valve stems but they didn't completely seal for me so I ended up zip tying the lines up as high as I could so they wouldn't drain all over my floor. I would also recommend a Motive power bleeder as it really makes it quite easy to complete as a one person job.