Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How much better are quality coilovers for ride comfort really?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much better are quality coilovers for ride comfort really?

My Evo is currently on stock shocks and lower springs and has been for the past 6 years. I'm considering getting the Ohlins coilovers, but my question is will it improve the ride considerably or is it only slightly better? I'm getting a little sick of the terrible side quality, so am wondering if it will help that much. I know a quality set of coilovers is a better ride than budget coilovers, but is it THAT much better and is it even better over my current configuration?

(Springs are Swift spec-r)

Last edited by CeliOnce; Mar 14, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ohlins are hand over fist, night and day better than any coilover in the price range. Buy once cry once. Fortune Auto, BC, whoever, cannot touch the ohlins. They can be had for less than $2k from Performance Shock.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Yup, it's ohlins or bust, i wouldn't go for anything else. I'm trying to get a sense for the ride comfort for ohlins vs spring/stock shock setup.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went from stock to Ohlins last year. Ride quality is stiffer at what I’d classify as 15% more than stock. Smooth roads are even smoother, but speed bumps are noticeably harder. However cornering is in another world. Where are you located? Your best bet would be to hopefully find someone in your area and go for a ride. Performance Shock is who I got mine through and they were great to work with.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:06 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Ohlins.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by CeliOnce
My Evo is currently on stock shocks and lower springs and has been for the past 6 years. I'm considering getting the Ohlins coilovers, but my question is will it improve the ride considerably or is it only slightly better? I'm getting a little sick of the terrible side quality, so am wondering if it will help that much. I know a quality set of coilovers is a better ride than budget coilovers, but is it THAT much better and is it even better over my current configuration?

(Springs are Swift spec-r)
I went from Spec-R springs to Ohlins. I can confirm that the Ohlins ride quality feels better.

The Ohlins springs are stiffer, but the Ohlins damper does a better job of getting out of the way on harsh bumps. OEM dampers and cheap coilovers tend to have too much high-speed compression damping for a comfortable ride.

The Ohlins also have excellent build quality and great adjustability. At the current $2K-ish price point, I wouldn't consider anything else for a street-driven car at this point.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Gonna echo what everyone else said about the Ohlins. Don't bother with anything else if you want comfort.

What I recommend is hit up PSI, they have the R&Ts for a very good price. For a tiny bit more money you can also have them respring and revalve them to take some softer springs. In my opinion the 8k/10k combo is a little stiff if you live in a place with ****ty roads. If you're not participating in motor sports and just like to hit up canyon roads I'd consider something along the lines of a 6k/8k setup. If you're doing alot of auto-x then maybe stay with the stiffer springs, but personally I'd runner stiffer sways before going to stiffer springs.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:34 PM
kaj

Which PSI? There are quite a few.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Which PSI? There are quite a few.
PSI - Performance Shock Inc. https://performanceshock.com/
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry should have been more specific. As linked above, Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma, CA.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Sorry should have been more specific. As linked above, Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma, CA.
Ooh, yeah. Found them there for $2,400. Not too far off from my current coilover, so definitely in my price range, in the near future. If I can get $900-1000 for mine, that would make it so much easier
Old Mar 14, 2019, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Ooh, yeah. Found them there for $2,400. Not too far off from my current coilover, so definitely in my price range, in the near future. If I can get $900-1000 for mine, that would make it so much easier
Someone on here said they paid $2,100 shipped from PSI. You should try calling them, this was just a few days ago if I remember correctly.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
What I recommend is hit up PSI, they have the R&Ts for a very good price. For a tiny bit more money you can also have them respring and revalve them to take some softer springs. In my opinion the 8k/10k combo is a little stiff if you live in a place with ****ty roads. If you're not participating in motor sports and just like to hit up canyon roads I'd consider something along the lines of a 6k/8k setup. If you're doing alot of auto-x then maybe stay with the stiffer springs, but personally I'd runner stiffer sways before going to stiffer springs.
6K/8K for a street setup is not a bad idea if you want to go all-in on comfort. In the past, Performance Shock would revalve for free if you bought the coils and springs from them.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 07:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Good coilovers with stiff springs are absolutely worth the money. Comfort is a personal thing and what's comfortable to me probably isn't comfortable to most. Are you on factory Bilsteins or KYB? Swift Spec-Rs and factory Bilsteins were my first suspension upgrade and they were amazing compared to a 66k mile factory KYB setup. I've since upgraded to a bunch of Whiteline bushings and AST 5100s with 12k/12k and would not go back. I do not daily my car but I love the connected feeling the setup provides and that's part of the allure of the Evo; it's a driver's car with minimal electronic systems interfering with your inputs.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 09:04 PM
kaj

Someone on here said they paid $2,100 shipped from PSI. You should try calling them, this was just a few days ago if I remember correctly.
I'm sure by the time I sold my coilovers, that price would be gone ,so I won't worry just yet. Soon though. I also need them valved for 10/12 so I could run my 9/11 and still be ready for when I go to a stickier tire...