Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wrong bolts?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
They can but I'm too lazy to research part numbers. LOL. I just ordered some Megans to get me by. Bleh.
Lol I'm probably gonna just do that when I get home haha. I'll post numbers when I have em
The following users liked this post:
GSX_TO_EVO (Jul 27, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Lol I'm probably gonna just do that when I get home haha. I'll post numbers when I have em
Please do! I'll be doing the same. I just got an email from Enjuku saying the Megan arms are also out of stock. Apparently there are no toe arms to be found in the U.S. I guess it's easy to make arms if we can find the measurements for the bolt holes. And I guess a heim "end" with a ball joint is something already made and we just have to find the one that fits our uprights?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Please do! I'll be doing the same. I just got an email from Enjuku saying the Megan arms are also out of stock. Apparently there are no toe arms to be found in the U.S. I guess it's easy to make arms if we can find the measurements for the bolt holes. And I guess a heim "end" with a ball joint is something already made and we just have to find the one that fits our uprights?
Looks like a heim rod end and a ball joint linkage in McMasters catalog will work. Just need to get a chance to measure my arms and I can figure out what length rod/coupler we'll need. They have high load rated ones, although they're quite expensive, it'll easily cost more than the premade options.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 01:00 PM
kaj

Toe arms see very little load. I can pull the alignment bolt out while the car is sitting on the ground. I can't imagine we'd need anything too robust. If Megan would work, anything should
Old Jul 18, 2019, 05:42 PM
kaj

I'm seriously about to throw on some ebay arms to hold me over. I think I'd rather do that than raise the ride height and/or reduce camber.

If anyone has a way to measure the taper on our toe arm ball joint, I can find some tie rod ends to match, then build the rest pretty easy. Sounds kinda fun, though I am having trouble finding the longer center section. I'm thinking I can look up where I got the aluminum part for my sway bar end links, then find the larger size.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 18, 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm seriously about to throw on some ebay arms to hold me over. I think I'd rather do that than raise the ride height and/or reduce camber.

If anyone has a way to measure the taper on our toe arm ball joint, I can find some tie rod ends to match, then build the rest pretty easy. Sounds kinda fun, though I am having trouble finding the longer center section. I'm thinking I can look up where I got the aluminum part for my sway bar end links, then find the larger size.
Center section can just be an internally threaded hexagonal coupler. I still haven't had a chance to measure the required length, any chance someone here has their arms off and can shoot over some lengths?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:17 PM
kaj

I can measure whatever you need while on the car. I'm stuck on the ball joint, though. I think I have all the the other parts figured out. Basically a larger version of my end link, with a ball joint on one end
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Do you think the Ball Joint Tie Rods from McMaster will work? I'd link but McMasterCarr won't let me...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:04 AM
kaj

That's what I plan to use if the dimensions are the same. Or even a set from Rock Auto or something.
I won't have time to pull the car apart in order to measure the joint, for a few weeks.
Collecting all these pieces....I do kinda like how these things would look. And I always prefer to make my own.stuff..
I could always buy the ebay arms and measure those. They're only, like, $70.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
That's what I plan to use if the dimensions are the same. Or even a set from Rock Auto or something.
I won't have time to pull the car apart in order to measure the joint, for a few weeks.
Collecting all these pieces....I do kinda like how these things would look. And I always prefer to make my own.stuff..
I could always buy the ebay arms and measure those. They're only, like, $70.
Honestly if you're gonna order them anyway, just run the eBay arms lol. I mean, chances are it's coming from the same private label factory as Megan and DME and it's not like they see a ton of load like you said.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:43 AM
kaj

Honestly if you're gonna order them anyway, just run the eBay arms lol. I mean, chances are it's coming from the same private label factory as Megan and DME and it's not like they see a ton of load like you said.
I would, but still get the measurements for ya and so I could tinker myself. The ebay ones don't quite look the same as the other brands, particularly the sphericals. But, If I can buy, measure, then use 'em until I make my own (in case of failure) then I figure "why not?" but yeah.. I have a feeling the quality isn't *too far* off. My main concerns are the ball joint and corrosion resistance.

They are coming from China, so will take a month to get here. According to HardRace, DME, Megain, etc.. the evo 8/9/10 all use the same arms. The chinese company lists these as Evo X arms.. but I'm gonna go ahead and order them anyway.

Last edited by kaj; Jul 19, 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I would, but still get the measurements for ya and so I could tinker myself. The ebay ones don't quite look the same as the other brands, particularly the sphericals. But, If I can buy, measure, then use 'em until I make my own (in case of failure) then I figure "why not?" but yeah.. I have a feeling the quality isn't *too far* off. My main concerns are the ball joint and corrosion resistance.

They are coming from China, so will take a month to get here. According to HardRace, DME, Megain, etc.. the evo 8/9/10 all use the same arms. The chinese company lists these as Evo X arms.. but I'm gonna go ahead and order them anyway.
Hopefully it doesn't take too long, I'm gonna measure and order parts this weekend although I'm not 100% on the McMaster ball joints.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:12 PM
kaj

I actually found a "local" shipper. I should have them by next Fri. I'll get the measurements to you, if you still need them.

Looks like about $260 to make my own, with the parts I want. A bit pricey, but at least I'll know they are quality. Plus I will be making them, which is always more funner.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I actually found a "local" shipper. I should have them by next Fri. I'll get the measurements to you, if you still need them.

Looks like about $260 to make my own, with the parts I want. A bit pricey, but at least I'll know they are quality. Plus I will be making them, which is always more funner.
Yeah definitely, home made parts always get a bonus for cool factor in my book!
Can you share a link to the ones you bought? Would love to see some pics when you get them!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:58 PM
kaj

Yeah definitely, home made parts always get a bonus for cool factor in my book!
Can you share a link to the ones you bought? Would love to see some pics when you get them!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-2014-Adj...555e%7Ciid%3A1

They dont look GREAT..but I may have a track day scheduled for that Sat, so need something...