Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 05:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheel Questions

Hello everyone, I've toyed around with the idea of swapping the wheels that were on my evo ix rs when I bought the car, which are Motegi Racing MR118s in 17x8. I was not big fan of the wheels, but they matched the car OK. I just registered for my first autox event and had me thinking of some aftermarket wheels that would be lighter and I would like the look of better. I was able to find the perfect wheels (I can't find any evo 8/9 with these wheels, and only 1 post on here, but for an evo 10 but no photo provided) but since I have no experience with wheels, I figured this is probably a pretty good place to ask. The wheel specs are 17x9 +25 and the wheel maker has confirmed they will clear the calipers on the car, or atleast I hope their information is correct. Now I understand that if I wanted to go for these wheels, it would be a good idea to move to a bigger size tire. One thing I can't find is anyone else has run these spec wheels, or what it would look like, and I can't find a clear answer on if any fender rolling or modifications would need to be done at a 255 tire size for this kind of wheel to fit. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
https://www.willtheyfit.com/
https://www.wheel-size.com/
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ti...calculator.php

There's plenty of tools to help you make a decision. There have also been dozens of threads with people running the same size. Try searching around a bit. You should run the biggest tire size you can fit without rubbing.
The following users liked this post:
AKillEaze (Jul 17, 2019)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 07:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
On a 17x9 +25 w/255/40 tire you will definitely be rolling the rears & more work needed. The fronts are OK but expect some front liner rub like most of us have had

Ran your numbers compared to mine. The +25 is very aggressive so expect the roll, a slight rear fender pull & a bumper bolt relocation

AKillEaze (Jul 17, 2019)
Old Jul 17, 2019, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have no idea how I did not find either of those two websites during my search. Thank you so much! Now the company also makes the same wheel as a 17x8+35, and told me they will absolutely not fit due to the front calipers. Based on the diagram from willtheyfit.com, it says switching my current wheels to the 17x8+35 wheels would be a 3mm difference inward. So in theory, couldn't I potentially buy the 17x8+35 option, stick with my 235/45/17 tires, then run a 3mm spacer and have them clear all around? I also wouldn't need to worry about rubbing / fender rolling either right? sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by AKillEaze; Jul 17, 2019 at 09:30 PM.
MinusPrevious (Jul 18, 2019)
Old Jul 18, 2019, 05:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by AKillEaze
I have no idea how I did not find either of those two websites during my search. Thank you so much! Now the company also makes the same wheel as a 17x8+35, and told me they will absolutely not fit due to the front calipers. Based on the diagram from willtheyfit.com, it says switching my current wheels to the 17x8+35 wheels would be a 3mm difference inward. So in theory, couldn't I potentially buy the 17x8+35 option, stick with my 235/45/17 tires, then run a 3mm spacer and have them clear all around? I also wouldn't need to worry about rubbing / fender rolling either right? sorry for all the questions.
Sure that 17x8+35 will fit w/out problems but is certainly less than aggressive. Really no diff than running the stock wheel at 17x8+38

One of my fav wheels that fits over the front caliper is the 17x9 +35 / 5zigen FN01R-C. Just not sure of the availability?

Now, this is a nice wheel that looks good on the EvO. You can run a 255/40 tire which makes it look great. Heres a pic as an example
AKillEaze (Jul 18, 2019)