Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help on geometry settings...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2001, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help on geometry settings...

Hiya guys (US and ex-MLR ),

As the MLR guys are aware, I had a minor run-in with a metal barrier in my Evo 6 last week, so while it's in the bodyshop getting fixed I thought I'd ask - what suspension/geometry settings would you guys recommend to help clear the pronounced tramlining and bumpsteer associated with the stock VI GSR?

It was something I was looking at doing anyway (as a "new to performance cars" driver it's a little unnerving having the car fight you over our bumpy British roads), and I suppose this is a good excuse to get the work done to it...

Thanks in advance for your help

Derek
Old Nov 13, 2001, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

To get lessen the tramlining, you have to sacrifice grip. Run less camber than you did before, try about 1 degree at the front and 0.5 in the back. You'll really lose a lot of grip and I think it'll be impossible to completely get rid of tramlining in an Evo...
Old Nov 13, 2001, 07:42 AM

Hmmm... I guess suspension would make more of a difference then (esp. replacing it with a quality aftermarket set).

If it'll make that much difference to the cornering characteristics, I may just leave it well enough alone and learn to live with it

Derek
Old Nov 13, 2001, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Numpty,
I think that after a spin last week for you and 3 weeks ago for my other half, we need all of the grip we can get and sacrificing it would be the last thing we need to do

Andy
Old Nov 13, 2001, 09:18 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

From my experiences toe can also play an important role as well as the type of tires that you are using. Ultra high performance tires tend to follow dips in the road A LOT Too much toe in and you'll get sluggish responses from steering input... not to mention tire wear (*cough* NSX *cough*). For racing you usually lean more towards toe out for the front and toe in for the rear. Too much toe out and the car will go all over the place. I think you may have to ask yourself whether it's worth giving up the handling characteristics of your Evo for a nicer ride........ and that answer will be no

What are the factory specs for the Evo?

Mark
Old Nov 13, 2001, 10:17 AM

Heh, I already have a Passat TDi for that "spongy, steers-like-a-cow" feeling (even after putting on 17x7J's shod with 225/45 rubber and some slightly stiffer/lower springs), and my brothers old Jaguar 3.2 floats like a boat over even the bumpiest road over here

Standard settings... 2degree camber front, 1degree rear I think, and (not sure) zero toe. Coupled with street-racer tight suspension as standard... the cornering is phenomenal (unless you hit ice unexpectedly like I did) but it can be like a living thing over bumpy roads, as the steering wheel tries to change direction on you. Tires are the standard Potenza S01's (great dry, poor wet) which I was looking at changing to some good wet weather ones, given the winter weather over here.

You just need a firm hand to tame it, but if a small change in settings could have helped it would've been nice. I don't want to start sacrificing traction though, otherwise I may as well stick with the Passat (you're right about that, I couldn't give up the Evo... unless someone wanted to swap for a low mileage R34 running 800bhp ).

Regarding toe... I've seen the options on GT3, but have little idea what it actually does to the handling. Is toe-in where you make the wheels go /--\ and out is \--/ ? If anyone knows of a good web resource on this (theory, pros, cons etc) I'd be grateful for a pointer, or mail me offline.

Derek
Old Nov 13, 2001, 10:25 AM

Try
http://www.whiteline.com.au/faqsusp01.htm
Old Nov 13, 2001, 11:34 AM

Numpty

Suspension could make a difference. I have adjustable dampers on my 6 and run a medium setting for everyday use. The car tramlines noticeably less than on hard settings, but the main difference is the way it rides the bumps particularly in mid-corner when driving hard.

You do trade off utimate grip though and also intial bite when turning in to a corner is less, but grip is not so great when the wheels are leaving the ground at every bump! Don't you love UK roads.....

Dave

Last edited by Daveg; Nov 13, 2001 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2001, 03:18 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

here's a great site:

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...ingtable.lasso
Old Nov 14, 2001, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

very interesting
Old Nov 16, 2001, 12:08 PM

Mine:

Front camber 3 deg
Rear camber 2 deg

Can't remember the toe settings.

Note, you cannot get more than 2 deg with standard shockers

Not sure what the max rear camber possible with standard shocks is.

Don't forget there is an adjustable bolt at the front to let you switch between 1 and 2 degree camber quickly, for track use.

On a road car, 2 deg or more front camber is a lot, and will **** tyres quickly!
Old Nov 16, 2001, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Claudius, your 0,5 rear camber is to make the evo drift?

Here's a picture of the suspensions so maybe everybody will find the brand !
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help on geometry settings...