Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

what's the rigidity difference

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
what's the rigidity difference

what's the rigidity difference between a three point strut tower bar and a two point? i keep thinking and it just doesn't make sense.

the tower bar is only suppose to prevent flxing if the car is "folding" (flexing) down the middle longitudinally. so does the three point make things that much stiffer?

i know there's several people out there running 2 point bars.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are talking about a 3 point bar for the rear (trunk), the bottom tie point would also help keep the towers from both flexing the same direction (trapazoiding?). For that to work though, the bar would need to have solid joints unlike some of the ones I've seen for sale with flexible joints.

If you are talking about front tower bars, the purpose is the same as above, only using the firewall instead of the trunk floor to prevent "same direction" flex. That mounting point will also help to control front to rear flexing of the strut towers, too.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm... ic the point about improving hte rigidity of the bar... and i guess with the rear bar it would help by resisting compression and tension of the v brace. that clears things up.

anyone know how lighter or heavier the cusco front ost bar is than the stock bar?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our chassis experiences loads from different directions depending on driving condition. It doesn’t just flex in one direction, so triangulation always helps keep it stiffer vs. just tying the two shock towers together.

To help you visualize better, imagine three out of the four wheels were fixed on the ground and have no suspension travel. Now use your floor jack and start jacking up the other wheel. You are going to be inducing a bending moment about the other three points, not just the opposite shock tower.