Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tuned by John at Akuma Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuned by John at Akuma Motorsports

I happened to meet John through Robispec recently while having his race suspension installed at Akuma. After a brief conversation, we ended up talking about tuning, data logging, and he let me know a bit more about the Accessport and what offers beyond its capabilities as a tuner. Being someone who keeps his Evo almost exclusively for HPDE/track use and having no gauges other than the pathetic factory units, I wanted to have an Accessport at the very least so that I could track my oil and coolant temperatures on the track.

That said, John being a person who previously worked for Cobb, was intimately familiar with the Accessport and someone interested in motorsport usage (Which is more important to me than peak power numbers), I let him tune my car.

I didn't want to make this thread until I had a chance to take it on the track and having done so, John went out of his way to tune for my application. He pulled some timing and focused on tuning for the sustained loads that you see at the track rather than making big numbers for short stints. I have been very impressed with the results as I was able to run 25 minute sessions in 77 degree heat without a tangible feel of power loss that I previously noticed with the car.

As I continue to familiarize myself with the unit, I look forward to data logging and really seeing more data than just seat-of-the-pants impressions.

Anyway, here are my numbers on a Mustang Dyno:

My only modifications are a Greddy Ti-C catback, Nisei upper intercooler pipe, and a Works air filter.

Last edited by MrBonus; Oct 1, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:08 PM

Ian it was a pleasure working with you on this project. I was extremely stoked to hear your times were faster(consistently) after the new tune. It is a little different to tune for extended track abuse, but I am glad we got it done. Enjoy the car, and stop by anytime!

John
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

John is an amazing tuner and his shop is immaculate! I got my car tuned on the AP and he made it run so smooth compared to my old Ecutek tune done by another dyno locally
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
he is definitely a great tuner, with a beautiful shop and great knowledge behind it
congrats for your numbers !!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:15 PM

nice numbers for the mods!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John@CobbTuning
Ian it was a pleasure working with you on this project. I was extremely stoked to hear your times were faster(consistently) after the new tune. It is a little different to tune for extended track abuse, but I am glad we got it done. Enjoy the car, and stop by anytime!

John
Thanks, John. I ran it at Summit Point Shenandoah this weekend and was able to find that in a full 30 minute session, at around the 22 - 25 minute point in the heat, the car begins to pull a bit less hard. Of course, at that point I've boiled my fluid too so I can't complain.

Regardless, it's rare I run a full 30 minute session, especially at full bore.