Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP's Evo X Exhaust Manifold Testing / Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MAP's Evo X Exhaust Manifold Testing / Dyno Results

Test Overview

As a follow up to our recent Evo 8 & 9 testing we decided to bring in another car and test a few exhaust manifold upgrades that we offer for the Evo X platform I do not know the ins and outs of this car (perhaps Dave can chime in) but I do know that its on E85 and sports an FP Black with supporting mods. We used Dave's more conservative street tune for the testing, keep in mind that no changes to the tune / boost level / etc. were made during this testing so those numbers do fluctuate a little bit. It's also important to note that the baseline here is an MAP ported stock manifold, enjoy!

MAP Ported Exhaust Manifold vs. MAP "Short Runner" Exhaust Manifold

Boost was a touch higher between 4500-5500, but there were substantial gains throughout the power band! As you can see it spools a little slower but power output is very similar during spool up. +26whp & +13ft/lbs over our ported stock manifold for just $569.99 shipped? I think we had better place another stocking order!

MAP Ported Exhaust Manifold vs. MAP Tubular Exhaust Manifold for Evo X

Our in-house fabricated tubular manifold performed admirably with peak gains of 24whp & 18ft/lbs over the ported stock manifold, but we were surprised to say the least that it came in 10whp less peak than the short runner above (although the short runner appears to have been at a higher boost level when it achieved peak whp). We decided to make a revision to the routing of one of the runners and were pleasantly surprised by the results as gains up to +33whp & +26ft/lbs were realized Needless to say this revision will now be permanent.

Conclusions

The results from the short runner were surprising to say the least. Ultimately I think our revised long runner will yield the biggest top end gains and its built like a brick, but its hard to overlook the value in that short runner! Also, we did a little more testing in response to a recent competitor's post that isn't included in this thread for political reasons, the only comment I will make regarding that is that I am confident our tubular manifold is the absolute best performing unit on the market

Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow great results! another set of quality products from you guys. Kudos!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods:

Buschur Bullet Exhaust
UR Testpipe
AMS Downpipe
AMS IC
AMS UICP/LICP
Primo 3.5" intake
FP black - ported heat coated
Blouch 21psi WGA
Built Motor - AMS Spec JE pistons, Manley TT rods, Cosworth bearings, stock sleeves stock crank
Built head - Ported/polished, +1mm valves (supertech) w/supertech springs
GSC S2 cams
Baseline w/ported n Coated stock mani - obviously changed manifolds
DW 1400cc Injectors
MAP AFPR kit
BlaqOps Progressive boost double pumper
E70 fuel
ACT 6 puck w/ ACT streetlite flywheel
Magnus CMC

That's all I can think of for now, probably missing something but this is the bulk of it!

I sat in the passenger seat while Jordan drove for all the testing and have logs for everything if anyone has doubts. Thanks MAP for the opportunity, it was fun!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Have anything comparing the stock manifold to the short runner? I'm assuming the short runner vs. tubular would be for someone looking for quicker spool, like me?
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:30 PM

1. Are there any dyno results for stock OEM exhaust manifold vs. posted OEM? I think that would be of interest to loads of folks here. Preferably with a less "built" car on pump gas, pls.

2. Who makes the short runner for MAP? The layout looks similar to the Tomioka that you also sell and to a number of designs for sale on ebay

Great testing results! To be frank, it looks like the short runner at high RPMs is showing stronger gains than the full length manifold?

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:48 PM

Wow, great numbers.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwwu
1. Are there any dyno results for stock OEM exhaust manifold vs. posted OEM? I think that would be of interest to loads of folks here. Preferably with a less "built" car on pump gas, pls.

2. Who makes the short runner for MAP? The layout looks similar to the Tomioka that you also sell and to a number of designs for sale on ebay

Great testing results! To be frank, it looks like the short runner at high RPMs is showing stronger gains than the full length manifold?

Thanks for sharing.
It's also running more boost if you look at it. It's a very very strong mani, but the longer runnered mani's will show better topend when fully tuned I think.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

what boost controller are you using?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

CAn you use a tubi Manila for a stock turbo and get good results?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:28 AM

Yup... the one thing that's missing - and hard to account for in these comparison - is the ideal tune for each manifold.

Kudos to MAP for these comparisons.

Originally Posted by murlo26
It's also running more boost if you look at it. It's a very very strong mani, but the longer runnered mani's will show better topend when fully tuned I think.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wht9er
what boost controller are you using?
Perrin 3 port
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smoothevo
Have anything comparing the stock manifold to the short runner? I'm assuming the short runner vs. tubular would be for someone looking for quicker spool, like me?
Don't forget about me... is the short runner more for quicker spool vs. the longer tubular?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

nice to see the effort to improve your product.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothevo
Don't forget about me... is the short runner more for quicker spool vs. the longer tubular?
Exactly, however the Evo X version seems to hang pretty well on the top end as well which differs from our Evo 8 & 9 testing.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:23 PM

Nice results. Def going on the future parts list lol

Quick Reply: MAP's Evo X Exhaust Manifold Testing / Dyno Results