Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

A Tale of Two 18Ks 388whp MR & 430whp GSR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by xRANGERxDANGERx
I'm over seas right now but while I'm here I have my 2012 GSR getting some work done. My mods already on the car are in my sig but in addition to those I'm having put in the MHI, Cobb XLE BVP and 3"turbo inlet hose, DeatschWerks 265 Fuel Pump, ID 1000cc, and GSC S1 cams. I was on the fence for a month trying to decide to either go with MX 1's or GSC S1's but in the end I decided to go S1's because I wanted to keep it as streetable as possible and I wanted faster spool plus better gains in the low's and mid's. I'm sitting at 343whp and 350tg Cobb tuned. After reading these threads and others I'm really getting excited to see where I'm going to be sitting with these new upgrades! I'll be home in may and will def post my results for those of u out there thinking about a similar set up
I honestly dont think that the MX1s are that big. They are lumpy but not huge. The S1 is smoother and makes the same if not more power. We have done 2 5858 cars with stock port heads and the only difference was the MX1 vs stock. The stock cam car did 517 while the MX1 car did 526, boost to boost.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I honestly dont think that the MX1s are that big. They are lumpy but not huge. The S1 is smoother and makes the same if not more power. We have done 2 5858 cars with stock port heads and the only difference was the MX1 vs stock. The stock cam car did 517 while the MX1 car did 526, boost to boost.

Wow no kidding! That's not a huge diff at all and I wish I could have actually rode in a car that had the MX1's or the S1's just to get a feel or even listen to the idle. I had to choose based on researching the internet lol. After a while though u start to get an overall feel for what its most likely going to be and in this case I really think I made the right decision going with the S1's and its good to hear what u the tuners have to say and I think u as your post makes me feel even more comfortable about it. I've only got 9k on the engine right now and I really don't want to touch it till down the road when I've put some miles on her. I think keeping the tq low and 400-425 seems to be the magic # when it comes to keeping things streetable and semi safe on the stock block. really I would like to port the intake and exhaust mani's too but just depends on how much extra cash I got left over to burn.. For the amount of money it will cost to do it vs the gains I'm not sure is worth it, but it would be nice to get that little extra out of the set up and still room to grow later on. I don't though, what do u think?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So why wouldn't you go for a 3071R vs this when it can be had for a few hundred more? Seems like the price on these has gone up and swear they were $1300 at one time. Just curious about it all
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xRANGERxDANGERx
Wow no kidding! That's not a huge diff at all and I wish I could have actually rode in a car that had the MX1's or the S1's just to get a feel or even listen to the idle. I had to choose based on researching the internet lol. After a while though u start to get an overall feel for what its most likely going to be and in this case I really think I made the right decision going with the S1's and its good to hear what u the tuners have to say and I think u as your post makes me feel even more comfortable about it. I've only got 9k on the engine right now and I really don't want to touch it till down the road when I've put some miles on her. I think keeping the tq low and 400-425 seems to be the magic # when it comes to keeping things streetable and semi safe on the stock block. really I would like to port the intake and exhaust mani's too but just depends on how much extra cash I got left over to burn.. For the amount of money it will cost to do it vs the gains I'm not sure is worth it, but it would be nice to get that little extra out of the set up and still room to grow later on. I don't though, what do u think?
I have seen a stock turbo MR pick up 20whp with S1s so I feel they are worthwhile. Porting stock parts is more about cheap mods than big horsepower. Are there gains, sure, but not crazy ones.

Originally Posted by FACT0RY PIL0T
So why wouldn't you go for a 3071R vs this when it can be had for a few hundred more? Seems like the price on these has gone up and swear they were $1300 at one time. Just curious about it all
The ATP 3071 makes HTA Green power and spools 300 rpm later in the testing I have done. I'd rather run the 18K, have factory spool, and still make 425-430whp.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 03:34 AM

I have seen a stock turbo MR pick up 20whp with S1s so I feel they are worthwhile. Porting stock parts is more about cheap mods than big horsepower. Are there gains, sure, but not crazy ones.

The ATP 3071 makes HTA Green power and spools 300 rpm later in the testing I have done. I'd rather run the 18K, have factory spool, and still make 425-430whp.
So the 3071r starts tiny bit later with spool but wouldn't it pull a little harder through the mid part of the curve and yet still has potential to make more power and torque overall?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Possibly but based on the nearly identical results on pumpgas I would be hard pressed to believe its too much crazier at high boost. Never know will someone tries though so I'd say the jury is still out on the high boost.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:40 PM

Want wanna these, but I'm afraid I might be one of the unlucky ones that have this turbo break something on my stock block.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I would be hard pressed to see this breaking a motor unless there were extenuating circumstances involved.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

These are the kind of numbers I want with my MR.

No loss in spool and close to 400whp. Glad I should be able to get there with this turbo and boltons.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 08:40 AM

This turbo is awesome. Made 385 hp on mustang dyno running on 91 oct. Should have my tomei procam 270s here today or tomorrow. Hoping that they will push me over 400 hp on 91 oct.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Out of curiosity, who's Mustang were you on?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 04:23 AM

Out of curiosity, who's Mustang were you on?
Doug's dyno power in Las Vegas. Done all my tuning there for all of my evos. Great guy and great prices. Only dyno I've ever been on. Doing the cams this weekend will let you know what we hit for power. Got my cams today very anxious to get them in.

Last edited by Sokaroza64; Mar 21, 2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 03:33 AM

Got cams in and car tuned and dynoed, made 401 hp on 91 oct on a mustang dyno!!! About 30 more torque also. Boost was never changed. Boost peaks at 26.9 lbs. very pleased with how car feels!!!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:57 PM

veryyyy niceeee
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:43 AM

Any new mhi results??

Quick Reply: A Tale of Two 18Ks 388whp MR & 430whp GSR