Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2013 GSR, Boostin Performance tuned. Baseline to MHI 18k

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man everyone is SO caught up with the numbers its unreal. If the tunes safe, you have a built bottom end, and running an 18k then you can ROMP the car 24/7 just about and never ve worried. That to me is muuuuuuch more fun than getting another X amount and having the safety factor cut in half. Looks good man! Hope you are enjoying
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JasonM163
Man everyone is SO caught up with the numbers its unreal. If the tunes safe, you have a built bottom end, and running an 18k then you can ROMP the car 24/7 just about and never ve worried. That to me is muuuuuuch more fun than getting another X amount and having the safety factor cut in half. Looks good man! Hope you are enjoying
Oh stop it. What is the number one thing asked by people who see what they think is a fast car? "So what are your percentage gains over baseline, bruh?" - said no one ever.

Get off your high horse and stop pretending it doesn't matter. It's really the only thing that matters. Yes there are variables and other factors that make a car faster than it's rival but at the end of the day, the one common comparison factor is HP. Whether you want to debate who's readings are "accurate" or "uncorrected" or what-the-fk-ever, you can't take HP out of a car's stats. You might as well jump on the "there's no replacement for displacement" tractor.

Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Man its all about the gains over baseline every dyno is different. If all you care about is bragging what big numbers you make to your friends then your doing it wrong.. Go get a dynojet and hook up some nitrous and then do a couple big pulls.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Man its all about the gains over baseline every dyno is different. If all you care about is bragging what big numbers you make to your friends then your doing it wrong.. Go get a dynojet and hook up some nitrous and then do a couple big pulls.
Completely disagree and it's not about bragging. It's about having a common factor to compare one car to another. Hooking up nitrous and then using that number as your WHP claim is pretty douchey. You missed my point. I am not saying that HP is the end-all be-all for a car's performance. I'm saying no one except you gives 2 doodies about your gains over baseline. If you are asked by a friend/foe/stranger/competitor/whatever, they just want to know what kind of power you are making. And I don't care what you say - every single "car guy/gal" on the planet gets some level of satisfaction from stating whatever your number is and getting a "holy sh*t that's awesome" from the onlooker.

Fking tuner snobs.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well you could just say it makes around Blankety blank end of story.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Well you could just say it makes around Blankety blank end of story.
Are you saying you can just make up a number? You can do that with % gained as well. I don't think anyone is going to call your tuner and request documentation. Not sure what your point was there.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 03:40 PM

Dyno graph will be posted on Friday when I get the car back

I think that if you care about what others think, your absolute HP/Trq numbers may meaningful. There's just so many variables that affect this #.

If you care about the absolute performance, then what really matters is the change/improvement that mods add.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Nice setup and awesome gains. I could use a MHI-18k in my life
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by NeedBoost!
Oh stop it. What is the number one thing asked by people who see what they think is a fast car? "So what are your percentage gains over baseline, bruh?" - said no one ever.

Get off your high horse and stop pretending it doesn't matter. It's really the only thing that matters. Yes there are variables and other factors that make a car faster than it's rival but at the end of the day, the one common comparison factor is HP. Whether you want to debate who's readings are "accurate" or "uncorrected" or what-the-fk-ever, you can't take HP out of a car's stats. You might as well jump on the "there's no replacement for displacement" tractor.

You know why straight HP is the number one thing asked by people? Because the majority of people DONT DON'T ANYTHING about physics or engineering and can't understand a hp or tq curve and that PEAK HP is NOT what makes a car go fast.

Does HP in general give a somewhat relative idea of a cars ability? Often times yes. All I was saying though is lots of people come in here and say omg I made 35 more whp than you did! You must have a crap tune or I feel bad for you blah blah. Its just not that simple. But I'm a mechanical engineer, wtf do I know about physics.

I also like how a year ago you said, and I quote,

"According to everyone over on that site, yes. In my opinion, I don't think any two dynos read the same so really I don't know why they made such a huge deal about it. Whateves, I know how my car feels and I love it."

All that mattered was you knew it was fast and didn't care the dyno was off typical "expected" numbers.

Last edited by JasonM163; Jun 17, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JasonM163
You know why straight HP is the number one thing asked by people? Because the majority of people DONT DON'T ANYTHING about physics or engineering and can't understand a hp or tq curve and that PEAK HP is NOT what makes a car go fast.

Does HP in general give a somewhat relative idea of a cars ability? Often times yes. All I was saying though is lots of people come in here and say omg I made 35 more whp than you did! You must have a crap tune or I feel bad for you blah blah. Its just not that simple. But I'm a mechanical engineer, wtf do I know about physics.

I also like how a year ago you said, and I quote,

"According to everyone over on that site, yes. In my opinion, I don't think any two dynos read the same so really I don't know why they made such a huge deal about it. Whateves, I know how my car feels and I love it."

All that mattered was you knew it was fast and didn't care the dyno was off typical "expected" numbers.
My conversation was about dyno correcting and how a few street tuners didn't believe that my numbers were "possible". I never said HP numbers didn't matter. What I said was I didn't care what they thought, more because I didn't think they had any legitimacy to their claims, and that I was happy with how my car felt. If you read the entire thread you would see where that final comment you so conveniently quoted came from and what it was meant to "sum up".

Do I think that a ~60hp drop using better fuel and more boost while not seeing the tq peak until ~500rpm after what my experience shows is concerning? Of course I do. We invest (what is to most of us) a crap ton of money into our cars and I would hope that people would chime in if they saw something they thought was not right. I never said the tune was bs or that someone was retarded. I just brought up a concern about what range I would think is expected given the supporting mods plus a built bottom end and that it seemed off. The thread you quoted me in from a year ago just had people making claims with no merit or real analysis to back it up. I simply looked at the numbers given and it raised concern that something looked weird.

One would think the education you've received would have netted better comprehension skills - I never said peak HP numbers meant everything. My initial concern was with his boost levels, fuel quality, tq curve, and final numbers given a built bottom end and the same turbo I have. Something is wrong, in my opinion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Do I think I'm wrong? No. But I'm not a mechanical engineer so obviously I should just go stand in the corner and let the real expert bless us with his divine knowledge.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Well apparently your wrong!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 09:03 AM

I was not trying to be arrogant. I just took his numbers and your numbers and plotted them out on equal scale on X and Y axis. If you take his numbers at base line and then go look at Cobb SoCAL dyno on a base evo x it is roughly 13-15% higher. Bumping his after MHI turbo dyno plot numbers up by 14% and re plotting vs yours, the results are very close. I did not look at any boost etc as he did not have a full boost curve plotted. But in general I do not think his numbers are as off as people are making them seem.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

My baseline (do not have the plot with me) readings were basically the same as what was posted by OP on the first thread. Right around 240/240. You're saying Cobb Socal shows baseline plots hitting 270whp (236 x 1.15)? I would love to see an example of this.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NeedBoost!
My baseline (do not have the plot with me) readings were basically the same as what was posted by OP on the first thread. Right around 240/240. You're saying Cobb Socal shows baseline plots hitting 270whp (236 x 1.15)? I would love to see an example of this.
Just go to the Socal cobb dyno database and look at the stock 2014 evo x they have posted. 270 HP and 266 TQ. I did not know what your baseline read so I made the assumption it would be close to their baseline that they had shown.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Definitely have some questions for them based on that. Doesn't specify fuel used but have to assume it's the same ACN91. Also they are getting more boost than I did when they did my baseline - my stock turbo peaked at ~19psi. Looks like they did the run more than 2 years ago and it's the only baseline tune for the GSR they have in the database (no other years show a baseline from what I can find).

Thanks, now I'm going to have to get all angry customer with them the next time I run by to chat.

I stand by my initial concern about the tq curve for OP even if Cobb is revealed to be a shady dyno tuner. 4300rpm is too laggy for this turbo unless he's running a stock or poor quality O2 housing and it just can't exhale properly.

Quick Reply: 2013 GSR, Boostin Performance tuned. Baseline to MHI 18k