Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2014 Evo X, Bolt Ons, CBRD Tune, 93 Octane

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Evo X, Bolt Ons, CBRD Tune, 93 Octane

CBRD ProTune, 93 Octane, 2014 Evo X w/bolt ons, AWD Mustang Dyno results.

Got my Evo tuned at CBRD Race Factory in York PA yesterday on their AWD Mustang Dyno. Modifications include ETS intake, CBRD intercooler, ETS UICP, Depo LICP, Ultimate Racing resonated test pipe and cat back, Grimmspeed boost controller, tuned using Cobb AP v3, running 93 octane pump gas. Ambient temperature was about 80F.
318 WHP, 305 WTQ
I was very satisfied with the service at CBRD. Their facility is truly second to none. If you've ever seen pictures of Toyota's TRD or Nissan's Nismo facilities, that is what it looks like inside. Chad Block, the owner of CBRD, gave me the grand tour, explained everything to me and took time out of his very limited schedule to answer all my questions. As he was the only one working that day, I'm sure he was very short on time. He was extremely professional and very friendly. They have a very nice area where you can wait while they work on your car. There's a room with two racing seats with Xbox 360 Forza steering wheels and pedals mounted where you can play some Forza while you wait. Unfortunately it wasn't hooked up when I was there. They also have an area for kids to play in. They offer free soda and coffee to their customers in the waiting room as well. I also got free hat. Quality at CBRD is taken very seriously, that was made very evident during my visit.
Dyno Results were great. Unfortunately I'm not able to get Ethanol where I live, so being limited to pump gas, about 320 AWHP is pretty damn impressive. Power feels much smoother, pulls harder and boost comes on much earlier than the Stage 2 OTS tune I was using with my Cobb APv3. The Evo pulls much harder above 5k RPMs now. Something I'll have to get used to.
I do have some observations for anyone looking to mod their Evo. I've often read that the LICP doesn't provide any noticeable gains. I have the Depo LICP, I also have the CBRD IC. With a quality intercooler I was able to feel a boost in power down low between 3-4k RPMs. If you have a factory IC, then it's probably not really a worthwhile upgrade. But if you have a quality aftermarket IC, then it will enhance your power a bit.
Another observation was the ETS intake. I assumed that the intake temps would be significantly higher with the short ram intake vs. stock air box. But there is very little appreciable difference in intake temps. When the car is sitting still, yes. But not when you're moving. With my IC I typically see about 5-7F above ambient intake temperature with factory air box. With the ETS intake I was seeing between 7-10F above ambient. So I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune on the AMS CAI. Temps may have been a few F cooler, but not enough to justify cost.
If you've ever thought about going to CBRD to get work done, I car definitely recommend it. From what Chad and I discussed, customer loyalty is important to them and return customers will get a discount. The cost of their labor is also very reasonable for such professional work. For example, if you wanted to get one of their sexy new RBX turbo kits installed, Chad told me you can get it done in one day and it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $5300-$5500 installed with everything included, that includes injectors. Not bad for +100 HP boost.

Last edited by cerealkeller; Aug 31, 2015 at 04:25 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's a stock Evo do on their dyno?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
What's a stock Evo do on their dyno?
I asked that question. It depends on the year and whether it's a GSR or an MR. Newer Evos dyno a bit higher, but apparently the average is around 235-245 WHP bone stock. He also said he's seen MRs at 205 HP from the factory. Which I think would be very underwhelming and disappointing getting a new Evo and having such low power.
I had my Evo for about a week before I started modding it. So it's kind of hard to remember what it was actually like when it was new, but I do remember thinking my 4G Eclipse GT would smoke this thing. My Eclipse was putting down about 300 FWHP before I sold it. I probably would have never sold it, but it sucked in the snow. The Evo is the most incredible vehicle in the snow I've ever experienced. Can't wait for winter, but all the damn salt rapes the aluminum.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

My MR stock dyno'd 222 awhp there. Excellent service from the CBRDIZZLE boys
Old Jun 6, 2017, 07:45 AM

Don't know why my profile doesn't list my thread I posted with my EFR 7163 dyno results. I'll have to post that here.
I'm planning to go to Buschur for a full build. 2.2L Stroker, Race Head, clutch and some other stuff. Maybe even a turbo upgrade. Haven't decided if I want to go with a bigger turbo just yet.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:54 PM

Parts purchased and waiting for install. Will post pics once some become available. This is going to be an EPIC build. What I consider to be the Ultimate pump gas Evo X. Dropped the Evo off at Buschur Racing for all the work. Won't be done til the end of August probably.

BR 2.2L Stroker
BR Race Head
AMS TMP Cams
Exedy Twin Disc HD
BR Ported Intake Manifold
BR Double Pumper
FIC1650 Injectors
BW EFR 8374 Twin Scroll 1.05 AR (turbine housing coated)
Full Race Tubular Manifold (coated)
Full Race Downpipe (coated)
Full Race 3.5 in Intake
Twin Tial 38mm WG
Jacks Stage 3 T-Case
Jacks Stage 2 Ultimate Final Drive Tranny

Pretty much the only thing I'm keeping is my CBRD intercooler, UR Test Pipe and Cat Back and intercooler piping
Old Jun 30, 2017, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam thats quite a build list in progress looking forward to seeing the results should be quite the fun car when your done.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Can't wait to see what your build can do!

Just for reference, my 2015 with nothing other a 3-port and an AFE Dryflow drop-in made 288ft-lbs/292hp with a CBRD tune. Looks like I need to get a FMIC.....