Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2008 Evo X MR - ETS 5858 V-Band Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
You mean this setup?

It could be a difference in the timing. 5858 seems to spool about the same maybe faster if you look at the boost charts. Also, it seems the 5858 made more power and TQ on less boost. This setup has a lot to go and with a set of cams would probably pick up 30-40WHP. On E85 is where I think it would make the biggest difference.

I really like the trans upgrade. Seems to hold the power and launches well so far. Leaving on 15 PSI is definitely hard on the clutches.

- Robert

Last edited by ETS Michael; Oct 24, 2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe your observant. You found my dyno. Here is the real dyno, that virtual dyno was produced off the log I did while on the dyno. Since it matched up real well with the real one, and also had my boost plot I used it instead. But this really shows the power coming in sooner, about 4100rpms which is important for road racing, for my daily use while maximizing pump gas as much as possible. I will never run E85, it's just not realistic around Vancouver. I did turn up the boost, so I am curious to see if my power level is the same as yours now since we are both on stock cams. That is true that you run less boost than me to produce the power, but does that really matter when both of us are trying to maximize pump gas? If anything, if you run E85, you probably have much more room to grow than me hehe. I'm going to throw a T3 framed turbo myself on here for fun, and build a manifold for it, and see if I can get similar results than you. All in all, I'm very happy to see your results as I have a 5858 sitting here at my shop, and I've also been itching to throw it on to see what it would do for comparison sake. If your telling me I could play with mivec, and timing, and produce a similar curve that would be awesome as well. I find the T3 stuff way easier to work on as well. Thanks for the insight, and also thanks for posting the videos of the launching you were doing. I always appreciate a constructive conversation, so thank you. Hope you had a good weekend bro! Keep up the good work over there!

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

I think Aaron when he tuned the car kept the timing on spool up low to make it easy on the engine. It was also 80 deg the day my car was tuned. I imagine if it was tuned in our 60 deg weather we have been having it would have made better #s. It made what it made though and I really like it.

Its really responsive. Honestly when in S-Sport mode (even automatic shifting) it never drops below 4500RPMs so i don't notice a loss in low end even compared to a stock turbo. It has a broader powerband than a stock turbo since it makes power from 4000-8k instead like stock where its 3-6k and your still not making very good power with the stock turbo.

- Robert
Old Oct 29, 2016, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyM
But this really shows the power coming in sooner, about 4100rpms which is important for road racing,
You would rarely ever see 4100rpm on a circuit. Maybe coming out of the pits.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 02:08 PM

Bryan, my car is both a daily driver, and weekend warrior. I drive my car for Auto-X, and on the road course. I have an idea of what I built my car for bud. To each their own as they say. For me, it suits my needs perfectly. Thanks for your opinion though. Have a good weekend now.
The following users liked this post:
SkylineFanatic (Jan 26, 2017)
Old Oct 29, 2016, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyM
Bryan, my car is both a daily driver, and weekend warrior. I drive my car for Auto-X, and on the road course. I have an idea of what I built my car for bud. To each their own as they say. For me, it suits my needs perfectly. Thanks for your opinion though. Have a good weekend now.
I'm not sure if you really meant to be condescending but if you want to put that energy out there it's none of my business.

I wasn't even talking about your car, my car or anybody elses car, I was mearly stating a factual data point of circuit driving.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think Andy meant to. I agree with you though. My car is used as a daily/weekend warrior. If I its ever being railed on it never drops below 4500RPMs. Even in auto mode it keeps it above 4500RPMs and spooled up. My car lacks cams and the valvetrain upgrade to spin it 8500 which would really make this setup come alive.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
I don't think Andy meant to. I agree with you though. My car is used as a daily/weekend warrior. If I its ever being railed on it never drops below 4500RPMs. Even in auto mode it keeps it above 4500RPMs and spooled up. My car lacks cams and the valvetrain upgrade to spin it 8500 which would really make this setup come alive.
Hey Michael it's been a long time since we have talked. Bought a **** ton of parts from u for my old x. Congrats on the build and yea go get some cams. 8500 tho is too crazy for me I'll stick at 7500. Not ready to build the block yet
Old Jan 26, 2017, 06:18 PM

For comparison sake I am on stock frame turbo and daily on pump gas.

Old Jan 27, 2017, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

The cams and springs make a huge difference. Ill eventually end up putting a set in. You have 93 octane in VA, right?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 08:03 PM

The cams and springs make a huge difference. Ill eventually end up putting a set in. You have 93 octane in VA, right?
Yes, 93 Octane in VA. The cams do make a difference for sure when paired with a larger turbo. I am not getting a lot out of the cams until I build the bottom end to push what I have, but they definitely made a difference (+30whp) at current setup from without cams to cams.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Finally got a set of GSC S2s and GSC springs with titanium retainers. The cams are absolutely gorgeous. The billet goodness is like something I want to put on display but I think they are more useful in the engine. I picked up about 60WHP with just the S2s over stock cams. Weather was about the same for both dynos oddly enough. about 80degrees in the dyno room.

- Robert
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got a set of GSC S2s and GSC springs with titanium retainers. The cams are absolutely gorgeous. The billet goodness is like something I want to put on display but I think they are more useful in the engine. I picked up about 60WHP with just the S2s over stock cams. Weather was about the same for both dynos oddly enough. about 80degrees in the dyno room.

- Robert
stupid question but couldn't you have made the power difference the cams made with a little more boost? Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by turbo addict
stupid question but couldn't you have made the power difference the cams made with a little more boost? Thanks
Wouldn't take more boost without knock. It makes the same amount of boost out the top though.

- Robert
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Also, worked on the 60ft with the tuning. Got it leaving pretty good I think. I can only guess because the 60ft was better is why the MPH didn't go up.

Quick Reply: 2008 Evo X MR - ETS 5858 V-Band Turbo Kit