Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

rockford fosgate sound system too quiet?

Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockford fosgate sound system too quiet?

I recently just picked up my X with the SSS package, and although the sound system is incredibly crisp and clear, it really does not get loud at all. at first i was like ok i can deal with it but i enjoy cranking the music and i can talk(well yell a little but) to my passangers and they can hear me when its turned all the way up. anyone else feel the same way?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

maybe your loosing your hearing

the only time its not as loud as I would like is when i have the windows rolled down at 70+mph
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Yeah and in those conditions you cannot hear anything, even with it cranked.

In my opinion the stock fosgate system sounds pretty sweet when the car is stopped and/or off, but once you get up to speed is almost not audible.

Strip it all out and replace everything!! That's what I did (am still doing).
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

It is fine for me. I listen to about 20-25 on the street and 30-35 on the highway with open windows...less if windows are closed. The bass thump setting is only half way too. Have regular bass setting and treble with mids almost all the way up.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

not sure if it is at all different from my wife's '08 Outlander, but her system gets loud as fark. I have actually never turned it up all the way. It is set so the treble is up pretty high, and the mid is like one notch above the middle, and the bass is about one above that, with the sub level two notches from the top.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I think the sound system is pretty loud. The evo has poor sound insulation so maybe you're just not hearing it over wind and road noises
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

I've noticed that when I listen to the my music server, the sound only gets so load before the volume doesn't go up anymore. After about 30 or higher, the volume stays the same. If I switch to a different source like the radio, it gets significantly louder after 30. Weird!!!
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

i have noticed the same when playing Sirius on my SSS. After 30-35 it stays the same volume up to 50
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yours goes up to 50? My MR goes up to 45, but like others are saying, 35 sounds roughly the same as 45.

I think the stereo has some kind of auto-normalisation. If I play a track that is quiet at the start with heavy bass later, the sound is rapidly dampened when the bass kicks in. There is no way I can see to turn this off.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, i think 35-45 sounds the same. Mine goes to 45 only.. Its even quieter with Sirius
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
I agree, i think 35-45 sounds the same. Mine goes to 45 only.. Its even quieter with Sirius
My bad. Since there is no difference between 35 and 45, I never noticed it only went up to 45. I thought 50, but noticed the other day it was only 45. Oh well same thing!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
I think the stereo has some kind of auto-normalisation. If I play a track that is quiet at the start with heavy bass later, the sound is rapidly dampened when the bass kicks in. There is no way I can see to turn this off.
This has been bugging the **** out of me. The volume goes up and down depending on track and type of music. It's like it's trying to level match the bass, mid and treble. It sucks. When I want to rock out and have my music loud, the radio wont let it. I have a 09 GTS with Nav and I have went thru every menu trying to turn that off. I've turned off the speed volume & EQ setting and then turned it back on and notice NO DIFFERENCE. This is my only complaint about the car. I also drive a Titan with a non-amplified stock system and it gets WAY louder. For Mitsu to talk about the "650 watt Rockford Fosgate 9 speaker system", it should sound better than a stock Nissan radio with 4 speakers

Last edited by Titaztik; Sep 29, 2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem, posted it here also.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=356069
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:16 PM

I spoke to several reliable sources... they stated that the amp cuts the volume when it hits certain levels in order to increase the life of the speakers and amp. This way they don't need to warranty those ****ty paper cone 'rockfords' all the time. New 4ch amp + new front speakers will do just fine with the stock head unit. Use the stock amp to power the sub.

edit: You'll notice if you crank it, you can turn the volume from 45 down to 35 and barely hear any difference. Pause your music for 20 seconds or so and turn it back on, it will pound for a second or so and then quiet back down.

more edit: Speed compensation has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by negativefx; Sep 29, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by negativefx
I spoke to several reliable sources... they stated that the amp cuts the volume when it hits certain levels in order to increase the life of the speakers and amp. This way they don't need to warranty those ****ty paper cone 'rockfords' all the time. New 4ch amp + new front speakers will do just fine with the stock head unit. Use the stock amp to power the sub.

edit: You'll notice if you crank it, you can turn the volume from 45 down to 35 and barely hear any difference. Pause your music for 20 seconds or so and turn it back on, it will pound for a second or so and then quiet back down.

more edit: Speed compensation has nothing to do with it.

just curious on a swap on the SSS set up while still keeping the stock Nav unit.Can you run an aftermarket amp in the stock headunit?
Where would you plug in a new amp to power the fronts and rears.
I am sick of this weak Rockford fosgate "650 watt system" should be 65 watt
my last car was loaded with bass and I could bump going 80 on the freeway. Does anybody have a walkthrough of modifying the speakers and sub while keeping the stock SSS Nav touch screen. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rockford fosgate sound system too quiet?