Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Another AVIC F install w/ Scosche dash *pics*

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it possible to use the Factory Trim Piece? (Rockford Stereo). I like the silver trim-strip at the top. I'd rather use that (if possible) than any kit. Unless the kit had the same silver trim strip. Just my $.02
Old May 27, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

looks good, is that the f90bt? i plan on getting that whenever i get an sti lol. . .
Old May 27, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all honesty, the Evo has a pretty ****ty interior anyway, so I don't see why people take such an issue. Take a look at how your A pillars fit where they meet the dash. It's horrible. Or give a knock on your plastic dash that's not even wrapped in vinyl - that's pretty bad too. Even my 88 CRX had a vinyl wrapped dash and better fitting panels than the interior of the X. I didn't buy mine for nice interior, I bought it because it's fast. And FYI - that tiny gap was there with the Rockford stereo as well.

It's not possible to use the factory piece. You can order an OEM double din piece from Japan, but it's $250. I'd rather spend that on go-fast parts than saving myself a 1/128" gap where there was already one with the Scosche piece.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by i64X

It's not possible to use the factory piece.
Why? Why cant you use the factory Rockford trim-piece? I'm talking about the large NAV radio trim-piece.
Old May 27, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
duuuuuuuude how did you modify the menu like that? i have the f500bt can i do that too?

Eddie Rosado
Old May 27, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie
Why? Why cant you use the factory Rockford trim-piece? I'm talking about the large NAV radio trim-piece.
I thought you were talking about the factory Rockford 6 disc. You could use the one with the nav behind it, but it's wider than standard... you'll either end up with a little gap on top of your Scosche, or two 1/4" gaps on either side of any dual din head unit... or you can pay $250 for the JDM dual din unit.

Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
duuuuuuuude how did you modify the menu like that? i have the f500bt can i do that too?

Eddie Rosado
avic411.com
Old May 27, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2 problems' i'm there, and i'm dumb. lol is this harder than jailbreaking iphones? or unlocking cellphones? thats about as far as my hacking skills go.

i am hexadecimal illiterate.

Eddie Rosado
Old May 27, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I thought you were talking about the factory Rockford 6 disc. You could use the one with the nav behind it, but it's wider than standard... you'll either end up with a little gap on top of your Scosche, or two 1/4" gaps on either side of any dual din head unit... or you can pay $250 for the JDM dual din unit.

avic411.com
Thanks. I believe that the 1/4" gaps on either side can be addressed by a 1/4" trim piece.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

In all honesty, the Evo has a pretty ****ty interior anyway, so I don't see why people take such an issue. Take a look at how your A pillars fit where they meet the dash. It's horrible. Or give a knock on your plastic dash that's not even wrapped in vinyl - that's pretty bad too. Even my 88 CRX had a vinyl wrapped dash and better fitting panels than the interior of the X. I didn't buy mine for nice interior, I bought it because it's fast. And FYI - that tiny gap was there with the Rockford stereo as well.
Carmakers don't use vinyl anymore. All cars now are made out of hard plastics. I don't have all these interior issues you claim to have either. I actually don't mind the interior. It's simple and purposeful.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:06 AM

If you could post on how to change icons like yours in the menu and the files of your icons, that would be awesome! and very appreciated.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Nice!
Old May 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by custm08
If you could post on how to change icons like yours in the menu and the files of your icons, that would be awesome! and very appreciated.
Boot into Windows CE on the AVIC, then go into the flash drive APL folder and grab the image.res file. Then take that image file back to your desktop computer and open it with 7zip. You'll find which image files are which because they're all bitmaps. Just edit the ones which are the icons for those buttons to the way you want them to look, save it all back to the image.res, boot back into Windows CE on the AVIC, copy the image.res back to the AVIC, restart your headunit, and you're done. It's all on AVIC411.

Here's a theme I just made..
http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24196

Old May 28, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Carmakers don't use vinyl anymore. All cars now are made out of hard plastics. I don't have all these interior issues you claim to have either. I actually don't mind the interior. It's simple and purposeful.
Yeah, they do. Check out the interior of a 370Z sometime. Even the interior of my TSX had nice vinyl wrapped door panels and dash. Some parts of the 370Z's interior is real leather, but some of it (and most of my TSX) had "synthetic leather," which is pretty much vinyl. It's nicer to touch and see than hard plastic, and it doesn't feel so cheap. Nearly every review of the Evo *****es about it's crappy interior. It has crappy interior, period.

Originally Posted by custm08
avic411.com has plenty of guides. I'm not going to make a huge write-up on how to copy and paste files, and edit them in Photoshop. If someone can't figure out how to do it from the many guides on AVIC411, they should save themselves the hassle because they'll most likely end up bricking their unit anyway, and then complaining about how "crappy" it is after they screw it up (like many people on the AVIC411 forum do every day).
Old May 28, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, well I am definitely tempted to pick one up myself. But the UTTERLY CRAPPY reviews are holding me back.

I think I am going to find a place that has these on display and play with it a bit. The price definitely makes it tempting also, but I honestly don't care too much about that - I just want something usable.

Otherwise, I was pretty much set on buying the new Kenwood DNX 9140.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, they do. Check out the interior of a 370Z sometime. Even the interior of my TSX had nice vinyl wrapped door panels and dash. Some parts of the 370Z's interior is real leather, but some of it (and most of my TSX) had "synthetic leather," which is pretty much vinyl. It's nicer to touch and see than hard plastic, and it doesn't feel so cheap. Nearly every review of the Evo *****es about it's crappy interior. It has crappy interior, period.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread but the materials you are talking about in newer cars are not vinyl on the dash. Vinyl is being phased out because it's toxic and not environmentally friendly. The new hard plastic interiors you see in most new cars are made to last longer and are easily recycled. You noted an Acura and a 370Z which are both cars not based on an economy car platform. Yes they use soft-touch synthetics (not vinyl) but they are both cars that were designed for up-level segments. Sit in the new STi and you there's even more hard plastics. It's just the way it is now in the automobile industry as even Audi is using the hard plastic dashes in cars like the A3 and A4. Eco friendly engines, hard interior plastics, water based paints. They all suck if you are an enthusiast but that's the way it is. The EVO interior certainly doesnt evoke vibes of luxury or quality but if that's what you are looking for the EVO is the wrong car for you in the first place. Personally I think it's miles better than the last generation of Lancers and in line with interiors of similar cars such as the Corolla, Imprezza, Sentra, etc.

BTW: I have sat in a 370Z and to me it's a mixed bag. It's an improvement over the 350Z and the soft touch plastics are a nice touch but the insturment cluster looks terribly cheap as I can't stand the gaudy silver plastic.

Last edited by heavyD; May 29, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Another AVIC F install w/ Scosche dash *pics*