Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

sub experience, 10w7 and wicked C.A.S.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are there any alternatives to the c.a.s? besides diy?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:47 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08GtsLancer
are there any alternatives to the c.a.s? besides diy?
I've been looking, but haven't found anything else. We should all get together and petition JL to make an Evo X stealthbox.

I'm surprised they don't already.. if they could come up with one that would fit the Lancers, Ralliarts and Evos, I'm sure they'd sell a ton.

ETA: Nothing against the Wicked CAS.. it's just nice to have options. =)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Here is my experience so far with Wicked C.A.S. Still have not received a replacement. I will be contacting them today.

Originally posted on Mar 30.

Well I received my WickedCAS box with a JL Audio 10W7. Here are the emails I sent and the pics I sent to them. I will let you know how it works out. I am also posting a couple of pics comparing the W7 to the stock RF 10".

Sorry, but I noticed that most of the screws either missed the baffle entirely or glazed the outside of it. It looks like the screws went into the fiberglass less than 1/10 of an inch.

Sorry to keep emailing you but I keep finding issues. When you send the replacement could you please use mdf or some other stronger substance for the baffle. It looks like you used really thick carboard. You can actually see where the layers seperated from the weight of the driver. Other than that, the box fits well and looks good.

You only used four screws on a 27 pound speaker? Ummm......?

When you ship the replacement, please ship the sub and box separate. I would like all the JL documentation that comes with the sub as well.

Box was ok, the baffle on the enclosure is broke to hell. Hope you had it insured.
How long will it take to create and ship me a new one?

Mar 31

From what I saw the screws never actually made into the box. They hit that "baffle" made of layered cardboard and went to the side of the fiberglass. Even if the screws had went in straight they were too short to provide a solid mount.

Mar 31

I received an email yesterday hinting that they wanted me to keep the sub and return just the box. But I insisted that I wanted a brand new one in the factory packaging. I have the suspicion, its just a suspicion, that it may be a used sub. I emailed JL the serial to see if they can check who bought it and when. Again, its just a suspicion.

Old Apr 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

The Wicked CAS box is way too expensive.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

It's also WAY too small for running a W7. Hell, it's way too small for running any 12" sub. And to me, it looks like it's poorly constructed. I'm happy I didn't buy it.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
It's also WAY too small for running a W7. Hell, it's way too small for running any 12" sub. And to me, it looks like it's poorly constructed. I'm happy I didn't buy it.
It's a 10" W7, not a 12". How can you tell it's poorly built by looking at pictures? It was built just as well as my FB box for my Porsche, which was built by a company specializing in Porsche aftermarket systems and has good reviews. It was partly damaged due to poor packaging. I admit they built the baffle with horrible quality which caused most of the damage. But structurally the box is solid. I also agree .95 cu ft is small, but I sure don't see anybody else selling custom FB boxes for the EVO X. What would you suggest, and don't say build it your self cause that wont/shouldn't happen. I don't have the skills. I love when people criticize/have an opinion on something they have never seen or experienced in real life. Reminds me of who I work for, the DoD.

From JL tech support:

>> You'll be ok, yes we would suggest stuffing the enclosure,
>> approximately 1 pound of polyfill for that enclosure.
>>
>> Ward Benjamin
>> JL Audio, Technical Support
>> 10369 N. Commerce Parkway
>> Miramar, FL. 33025-3962
>> http://www.jlaudio.com
>> 954-443-1100 ext.2129
>> wbenjamin@jlaudio.com
>>
>>>
>>> How bad would performance suffer by putting a 10W7 in a sealed .95
>>> cu ft fiberglass box be? I guess I could always stuff poly
>>> fill in it to increase the virtual volume. Is that something that is
>>> still practiced or recommended?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie
The Wicked CAS box is way too expensive.
Then don't buy it. I dont see any other companies filling the void. So I either take it to a shop and pay double or triple for the same box or go with Wicked.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry for the attitude. I am having a bad day with a new employee that as far as I can tell has no redeeming quality.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:15 PM

just curious as to how you add the polyfill into the sub enclosure...do you just add it with it floating around?...thanks
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imdrew12
Then don't buy it. I dont see any other companies filling the void. So I either take it to a shop and pay double or triple for the same box or go with Wicked.
Wasn't expecting a reponse like that. Let me take a wild guess? You own a Wicked CAS box?
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:29 AM

Read post 23, he appologizes for the attitude due to having a bad day.

As far as the polyfill, yeah just stuff it in the box, hookup the speaker wires, and then screw the sub in. Easy as that.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Box was designed for the 10w3 / 10w6 or in some extreme cases 10w7. We have use 10w7 in this enclosure with great results. Shipping damage is not something we can control. And yes we do sometimes get backed up and take too long to ship product. However we almost always make up for it either with pricing or with what ever needs to be done.

We are not a big warehouse, we are a Customizing shop in Kingston NH. we have 5 employees including two owners. We also keep up with about 5-10 orders of Magic boxes a week. On top of doing daily stereo walk in business and mostly custom systems. We also do Performance upgrades on a lot of 93-98 Supras.

When you place an order with us the order takes about 3-5 business days to make. They are all hand made, fiberglass gets sprayed out of a chop gun and gets flattened with brush again all by hand. it takes about a day for both sides of the enclosure to cure and dry. So if we get let's say 4 of the same boxes the process gets prolonged by the time we get to the last order.

You can certainly build your own enclosure for cheaper materials... Meaning $80 for materials... if you are not considering the time you would be putting into it and not to mention all the fumes you would be smelling. and chances are it still will not come out the same. We spend hours and hours of R&D before coming up with the enclosure. We will stand behind every enclosure we sell. As long as the effort has ben made to install it the right way.

Time is money.
Average build time for an enclosure if you are doing it yourself is 10-14 Hours. I don't know about you but I can find much better things to do with that time. Let's take an average low paying job at $10/hr and x 14 that is $140 + $80 Materials $220 and I still don't think it would be as well thought out as our enclosure. where you can buy ours for only a few dollars more. And you can get a discount with it if you buy a sub at the same time.

Last edited by Wicked CAS; Jul 21, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imdrew12
It's a 10" W7, not a 12". How can you tell it's poorly built by looking at pictures? It was built just as well as my FB box for my Porsche, which was built by a company specializing in Porsche aftermarket systems and has good reviews. It was partly damaged due to poor packaging. I admit they built the baffle with horrible quality which caused most of the damage. But structurally the box is solid. I also agree .95 cu ft is small, but I sure don't see anybody else selling custom FB boxes for the EVO X. What would you suggest, and don't say build it your self cause that wont/shouldn't happen. I don't have the skills. I love when people criticize/have an opinion on something they have never seen or experienced in real life. Reminds me of who I work for, the DoD.
I was speaking specifically of the 12" box which is the same box with a different hole. I wasn't speaking of this situation directly. If the baffle is of poor quality, then the whole box is. An item is only as good as its weakest component.

I still stand by the fact that the WickedCAS box is too small for any of the JL 12" subs. Yeah yeah, you can throw the poly-fill argument at me all you want, but poly-fill is only supposed to make up for about 10-15% at the most. The WickedCAS 12" box is nearly 25% too small for the 12w3, never mind a higher end sub.

What would I suggest aside from the WickedCAS box? One that has the correct amount of airspace for the sub that's going in it. It doesn't matter what it is, but there is very little point in spending $800 for a 12W7 to put it in a box that doesn't have enough airspace. Even a 10W7 in that box would probably not be that much better than the 10W6, because of the lack of airspace.

I may have been quick to judge, based on the pictures. But the more I learned about the box itself, it's obvious that whoever decided there should be a 12" version, wasn't thinking at all.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

This box was not designed for a 12w7... Period.

It was designed for a 10" subwoofer.

However 12" subwoofers will work in the enclosure.
Specialy JL 12" subs W1 W3 will do just fine.

It all depends on what you have powering the sub.

You will need polyfill in the box when using a 12" subwoofer.

Don't knock it until you have seen it in action. because you just don't know by looking at pictures. A baffle being destroyed with UPS shipping is hardly any example of the quality of these boxes. We also have many of these boxes with 10w7 Subs in them with great results. And yes it sounds better then having a 10w6 in there.

JL specs are not written in stone... They are and can be modified slightly, optimum performance may suffer about 10 % or so with about a 10% difference in volume however it is well with in acceptable range. Specialy when using polyfill and enough power. Bass responce will be tigher and snappier while requieing slightly more power.

JL used to have a Book (we in the industry called it the JL bible) It graded their subs in different sealed enclosures, while the optimum enlosure would give you a A+ grade, the lesser Volume enclosure would be rated at about B+ performance.

Under no circumstances a 12w7 should ever be used in our enclosure unless it was extensively modified for more volume. which the enclosre would stick Waaaaay out and we propably will not make it.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:32 PM

You got a link to the amp you got i have the same sub need something to push this **** hard ! fill free to pm me

Quick Reply: sub experience, 10w7 and wicked C.A.S.