Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

alternator whine in speakers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw this thread and have a few ideas that may help. I do installs for a living and have to deal with this alot. I'll start by saying that pioneers have LOTS of problems with sending whine out of the RCA's.
The first step is to replace the source. Take your ipod, find a headphone to rca cord and a couple of barrell connectors. Plug your ipod into the RCA harnesses behind the radio, so that instead of your pioneer sending sound, your ipod is. Start your car, is there still whine? I would bet not, just from experience.
If there is not whine with the ipod then you know the noise is coming from the headunit. The easiest way to solve this is to buy Line-ouput convertors. These hook into the speaker wires on the pioneer and convert them into rca's. They run about $15 for a 2 channel (You'll need two for a total of four channels). I have personally seen this solve your problem.
If there is still whine with the ipod then your problem is in the car. I would start by bypassing the factory amp and using the pioneer built-in amp to power your speakers. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Marcac
I just saw this thread and have a few ideas that may help. I do installs for a living and have to deal with this alot. I'll start by saying that pioneers have LOTS of problems with sending whine out of the RCA's.
The first step is to replace the source. Take your ipod, find a headphone to rca cord and a couple of barrell connectors. Plug your ipod into the RCA harnesses behind the radio, so that instead of your pioneer sending sound, your ipod is. Start your car, is there still whine? I would bet not, just from experience.
If there is not whine with the ipod then you know the noise is coming from the headunit. The easiest way to solve this is to buy Line-ouput convertors. These hook into the speaker wires on the pioneer and convert them into rca's. They run about $15 for a 2 channel (You'll need two for a total of four channels). I have personally seen this solve your problem.
If there is still whine with the ipod then your problem is in the car. I would start by bypassing the factory amp and using the pioneer built-in amp to power your speakers. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.
I use my IPOD thru the stock RCA's and there is whine. Stock radio system.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by WWGSR11
Got replacement pioneer unit and still have alternator whine. WTF!

I tried to save you the trouble man. It's definitely something to do with the stock system. I might have some time this weekend finally and I gonna investigate the ground. Be interesting to see what would happen if you grounded it to the battery directly?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I think i tried ipod directly in and it was fine. the pioneer unit has been replaced under warranty. If i use those line connverters can i still use oem amp and sub? when rcas are unhooked theres no whine. Ive checked all connections and tried a different ground
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Just to be clear, I'm not saying play your ipod through the factory radio, just through the rca plug on the aftermarket radio harness. I think the op gets what I'm saying, yes this will retain all speakers using the loc's. The only difference is where the sound signal comes from (speaker wire vs rca's)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Just to be clear, I'm not saying play your ipod through the factory radio, just through the rca plug on the aftermarket radio harness. I think the op gets what I'm saying, yes this will retain all speakers using the loc's. The only difference is where the sound signal comes from (speaker wire vs rca's)
Maybe ill try those converters. Yea i plugged ipod right into rcas on after market mito mt02 harness to front input
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

whats a good line output converter to get? could it maybe be that the amp turn on and power antenna blue wires are all connected???
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AAMP+OF+...=1156203597652

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...rter&cp=1&lp=1
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

so i tried a line out converter and still alternator whine. when i disconnect main harness from mito mt02 harness whine goes away.... so basically when the hu has no power theres no whine. all speakers and sub are working and nav has been replaced... whats next?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:12 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

when i disconnect main harness from mito mt02 harness whine goes away ...whats next?
If you went to the trouble of RA'ing a perfectly fine nav system, you might as well do the same for the MITO and be done with it.

At least that's what I'd do.. good luck
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AFD
If you went to the trouble of RA'ing a perfectly fine nav system, you might as well do the same for the MITO and be done with it.

At least that's what I'd do.. good luck
Huh?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Huh?
Take out the MITO interface and ship it back to Metra or the dealer for a replacement.. maybe it's faulty?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 03:17 PM

Bad internal ground loop in the mito unit.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

possibly.... im going to try and plug my ipod directly into mito harness and drive around a bit and see what happens. if no whine then mito harness is good.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Update.... i disconnected rcas from unit and drove around and whine is still there. Im having the shop order me a replacement metra harness... if that doesnt fix it then i give up and my carr is possessed

Quick Reply: alternator whine in speakers