Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

In-dash nav with evo-scan

Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-dash nav with evo-scan

This is a duplicate of a post I placed in the ecuflash section, but to make sure I covered both the tuning side and audio/video side, I thought I would place it here as well.

So I've been researching my options for in-dash navigation systems and part of my criteria was the ability to install evoscan. I looked at some in car pc options, but really just want something small and clean since my main motivation is for digital gauges, anything else and I'll bring my laptop to connect to the car.

I know there are windows ce navigation units and I'm guessing they are hackable so new software can be installed. Rather than try and find every available option, I thought I would see if anyone has a similar setup. Not really looking for the evoscan product as I want a clean, in dash solution.

FWIW, technical steps are not an issue and I don't mind modifying the software if necessary as that's my career field. Just would like a good place to start since there are so many options out there.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

i would just wait till fall when windows 8 launches, find a 7 inch x86 (wintel) tablet, and figure out how to install it
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm doing the same thing... I've got it on window mounted for now, but I'm working on the in dash. 7" windows xp, and been working goood... just can't wait to get into the dash, but that's going to take some work:
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:05 AM

Very interesting topic, I've been researching/planning for an in-dash setup that would smoothly cover music, navigation, and monitoring/logging via evoscan. Carputer seems like the way to go. There are some really knowledgable people on mp3car forums that build custom setups and I've seen some used carputer setups for cheap in their classifieds which is the route I will likely go. Still trying to figure out the iPhone tethering and bluetooth stuff. But it's looking pretty good. My only issue with the all in one setup is that I haven't figured out a way that I would be able to see navigation and monitoring at the same time without a second screen but I'm thinking that between my phone and the carputer that should be more than enough.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mindovaanything
Very interesting topic, I've been researching/planning for an in-dash setup that would smoothly cover music, navigation, and monitoring/logging via evoscan. Carputer seems like the way to go. There are some really knowledgable people on mp3car forums that build custom setups and I've seen some used carputer setups for cheap in their classifieds which is the route I will likely go. Still trying to figure out the iPhone tethering and bluetooth stuff. But it's looking pretty good. My only issue with the all in one setup is that I haven't figured out a way that I would be able to see navigation and monitoring at the same time without a second screen but I'm thinking that between my phone and the carputer that should be more than enough.
Seeing the navigation and monitoring at the same time is a concern of mine as well. I'm going to try to hook up alt tab through the steering wheel controls as well as a few other inputs to make it easier.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I've seen a custom Ipad dash setup...perhaps you could use the wintab in a similar fashion?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Subscribing - this is exactly what i want as well. Maybe use one of the buttons on the steering wheel to auto-toggle to gauges when needed and audio the rest of the time...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ityn
I'm doing the same thing... I've got it on window mounted for now, but I'm working on the in dash. 7" windows xp, and been working goood... just can't wait to get into the dash, but that's going to take some work:
Looks good, but definitely will look better once it's mounted in the dash. I like the alt-tab mapping idea and would be interested to know how that works out. As someone mentioned, it's looking like a computer is the way to go in order to have the flexibility it sounds like we're all seeking. I'm probably going to do this next after my tune tomorrow and will post info on what I end up doing.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:23 AM

I will attempt to do the in dash with a nexus when it comes in. In for more updates...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:17 PM

subscribed!!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The evoscan navigator is a good option for the second screen setup. I use it with a vent mount, but I am sure you could get custom fabricated trim to fit it in the dash somewhere if thats what you want. That will definitely be cheaper than the full carputer setup or buying a x86 win tablet (like surface which in itself would cost over 900$ estimated).
Attached Thumbnails In-dash nav with evo-scan-img_0844.jpg   In-dash nav with evo-scan-img_0845.jpg   In-dash nav with evo-scan-img_0848.jpg  
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can do this, but I can't log in mode23 or whatever. In fact, I am forced to save logs on a ZT-2. Nevertheless, it is entirely possible to display an R35 dashboard on a Pioneer navigation unit without any fancy MB.1 or anything. It can be programmed in.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:09 AM

that navi loooks really nice!!! =]]
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I can do this, but I can't log in mode23 or whatever. In fact, I am forced to save logs on a ZT-2. Nevertheless, it is entirely possible to display an R35 dashboard on a Pioneer navigation unit without any fancy MB.1 or anything. It can be programmed in.
I'd like to see a DIY for this...
Old Aug 4, 2012, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vastevo
I'd like to see a DIY for this...
I am not getting into that. The whole thing requires programming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In-dash nav with evo-scan