Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alpine INE-S920HD installed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CU125
Yea the Sony HU has mirroring with the iPhone & BT audio/calling....Did you do the installation yourself? If so, would you recommend it for someone who has never done an install?

Thanks!
Yes, I did the installation myself. It wasn't that hard, but I can't recommend it to someone who has never done one before. The help I got was from this forum and also a couple of YouTube videos. My previous experience is an install in my s2k so I was familiar with connecting the wires.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Smoky Tyrz
Very much so, thanks!

Do you ever feel like you miss the extra screen real estate, or that the unit would be more attractive with a full-border screen? Is the new control setup attractive? Do the controls feel good to use? I also like having a physical volume knob instead of up/down arrows or softkeys.
The screen size didn't matter much as I probably wouldn't watch any videos on it. It's big enough for what I need. I'm sure it would look more attractive with a bigger screen, but coming from the factory head unit, anything is attractive. The controls and the touch screen is pretty responsive and the display does look nice with the layout. Only complaint I have at the moment is the voice prompt from the navi. It fades the music when it's telling you your turn is coming up. It gets more annoying when there is a turn after turn after turn. I'm sure an adjustment in the settings would fix this, but I haven't had much time to mess around with it.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

How does the scosche kit feel compared to your original factory trim? Is it a cheap plastic feeling? I wish the JDM kit was still $220 :\
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by b00gie
The screen size didn't matter much as I probably wouldn't watch any videos on it. It's big enough for what I need. I'm sure it would look more attractive with a bigger screen, but coming from the factory head unit, anything is attractive. The controls and the touch screen is pretty responsive and the display does look nice with the layout. Only complaint I have at the moment is the voice prompt from the navi. It fades the music when it's telling you your turn is coming up. It gets more annoying when there is a turn after turn after turn. I'm sure an adjustment in the settings would fix this, but I haven't had much time to mess around with it.

Thanks!

There may or may not be a setting to fix that, btw. Most OEM NAV units do this audio-muting as well. I wonder if it is a regulation? Anyway, your best bet may be to turn audio prompt off all together. BUT it may still do the usual "ding ding" that NAV units do before speaking audio which would still mute your stereo output. I've been in rental cars that did this. Hope you can get it sorted. And thanks again for the input!

Would you say the main difference between the 910 and 920 then, besides the physical differences, is the Wifi-enabled feature-set and better support for mobile app integration? How often would you say you use those features so far and how effective are they? Do these features still work well when all you have access to is 4G instead of wifi?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
How does the scosche kit feel compared to your original factory trim? Is it a cheap plastic feeling? I wish the JDM kit was still $220 :\
It feels a little similar but the look is a little off and the fitment is not so great. I'm starting to not notice how bad it is. i may take my time in ordering the JDM kit or maybe even wait till someone on the forum is selling one.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Smoky Tyrz
Thanks!

There may or may not be a setting to fix that, btw. Most OEM NAV units do this audio-muting as well. I wonder if it is a regulation? Anyway, your best bet may be to turn audio prompt off all together. BUT it may still do the usual "ding ding" that NAV units do before speaking audio which would still mute your stereo output. I've been in rental cars that did this. Hope you can get it sorted. And thanks again for the input!

Would you say the main difference between the 910 and 920 then, besides the physical differences, is the Wifi-enabled feature-set and better support for mobile app integration? How often would you say you use those features so far and how effective are they? Do these features still work well when all you have access to is 4G instead of wifi?
I guess its not a big deal. i dont use it that much since i know my way around LA area and when i do need it, the voice prompts will come in handy since the nav screen wont always be displayed.

im not sure how to answer this question.. but the apps on the iphone such as netflix, hulu or youtube are only displayed on the head unit by using the auxilary in. similar to how you would connect it to a TV. alpine's cable KCU-461iV is backordered and i assume that this will allow you to control your iphones media apps.
i probably will hardly ever use these features. maybe just to show it off to some friends.
the features will work 4g or wifi just as long as the signal is good.

check the link to alpines website to compare specs side by side
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/co...910,ine-s920hd
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:07 PM

PM sent!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by b00gie
I guess its not a big deal. i dont use it that much since i know my way around LA area and when i do need it, the voice prompts will come in handy since the nav screen wont always be displayed.

im not sure how to answer this question.. but the apps on the iphone such as netflix, hulu or youtube are only displayed on the head unit by using the auxilary in. similar to how you would connect it to a TV. alpine's cable KCU-461iV is backordered and i assume that this will allow you to control your iphones media apps.
i probably will hardly ever use these features. maybe just to show it off to some friends.
the features will work 4g or wifi just as long as the signal is good.

check the link to alpines website to compare specs side by side
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/co...910,ine-s920hd
That's good feedback. Thanks for the link. That is where I started in fact. The whole problem is other than the screen and price they seem identical!

There is something about the added controls and smaller screen that makes the 920 look more "OEM" which is a good thing.

Thanks again
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Nice set up bro !!! Hey how is the nextflix playing on the head unit ??? Bluetooth with the iPhone ???
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

??????
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mitsael
Nice set up bro !!! Hey how is the nextflix playing on the head unit ??? Bluetooth with the iPhone ???
Netflix won't stream over Bluetooth. To get it playing on my head unit I use this cable

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HK2dClV...Pod-Cable.html
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:29 PM

Nice Set up. I like the Baby Cam
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you able to use your Bluetooth steering wheel controls?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by rkevo
Are you able to use your Bluetooth steering wheel controls?
i dont come on here much so sorry for the late reply. I am able to answer and hang up the phone with the bluetooth controls. when i stream audio, the track up and track down work. if i want to select a playlist or search a song, i have to do that on the iphone.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:53 AM

Did you program the Bluetooth steering wheel controls with the PAC SWI? I didn't see any instructions regarding setting up those... hrmm

Also, I sent you a PM regarding the PAC TR7 and if when installed, are you able to see all the settings and menus. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Alpine INE-S920HD installed