Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Nexus 7 Tablet install behind the dash :)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nexus 7 Tablet install behind the dash :)

Finally got around to installing my tablet behind the dash

It's still kind of ghetto rigged in there for now.. going to be trying it out for a few weeks before building a more permanent mount.

Right now, I basically double side taped the tablet to a Radioshack 7x5x3 project box. This fits perfectly between the two radio mounting brackets. I had to play around with the placement of the screws holding the enclosure to the brackets, but finally managed to position the tablet such that its flush against the Double DIN bezel.

If I move the tablet a bit to the right, I can actually use the front-facing camera to take pics As it stands right now, 1/3 of the camera's view is cut off, but I'm not too concerned.

I wanted a bit better audio quality, so I ended up getting a USB DAC (Behringer UCA-202) and a USB OTG y-cable to connect the tablet to the DAC. The y-cable powers both the tablet and the DAC, allowing it to maintain a full charge. The DAC has a set of RCA inputs, RCA outputs, and a 3.5mm jack. I tried using the RCA output jack, but the sound quality wasn't all that great, so I ended up hooking up the speakers/MITO-02 to the 3.5mm jack. I'm planning on hooking up the RCA input jack to a Visteon HD Radio receiver (which comes with its own little display) for radio on the go . I don't have it connected right now because I'm getting a bit of speaker buzz with it connected and it drives me insane

On the software side of things, I'm running USB ROM which has some nifty little features designed for fixed installations. The most important one is that it allows simultaneous USB host mode (connect the DAC, flash drives, etc) and charging. Other features include a "DEEP SLEEP" mode in which the tablet automatically enters a deep sleep when power is removed. Under deep sleep, I lost less than 1% of battery life overnight. When you turn on the power, it automatically wakes up as if nothing happened (in way less time than it would take to turn on if it was fully powered off).
Attached Thumbnails Nexus 7 Tablet install behind the dash :)-img_20130913_165435.jpg  
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really pretty cool! Total cost?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
YES!!

Have you though about buying a $10 plastic nexus case and using that to mount from the backside? That way you can get all your clearances perfect without messing up your tab. If you need help, I totally volunteer my services! I'm always down for crazy ideas. I just made this thing here too:

Name:  Qmd902Fl.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  27.7 KB

fully functional vent, and the sliders work fully up/down and left/right
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
YES!!

Have you though about buying a $10 plastic nexus case and using that to mount from the backside? That way you can get all your clearances perfect without messing up your tab. If you need help, I totally volunteer my services! I'm always down for crazy ideas. I just made this thing here too:

fully functional vent, and the sliders work fully up/down and left/right
Yah, well its a little too late for my nexus I already cut up the back to point the USB port towards the back. Need a SUPER SLIM profile microUSB connector to be able to clear the side vents/mounting brackets. A replacement back cover is only $10 so I'm not too worried about it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-OEM-Back-Cover-Replacement-/141062637570?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item20d7fd0802

Tally of costs:
-Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB - $180 from Staples
-7x5x3 project enclosure - $8
-USB OTG cable w/power - $10
-12v to 5v power adapter - $8
-Behringer UCA202 - $30

Total cost: $236!

Show me a headunit under $800 that has as many features as a full blown Android tablet IKT you really need to install one of your own.. it makes $1000 headunits feel like cheap toys
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice... i drove around with mine for about 2 weeks with a semi-install but had to put mine on the back burner for the last week. i was dejected after laying fiberglass just to find out my catalyst has gone bad which has resulted in a gummy mess. luckily it was the backside only.

i NEED the jdm dash kit. your's looks so much better than mine.

Last edited by momostallion; Sep 18, 2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ikt
YES!!

that's the direction i went but because i wanted to be able to remove the tablet (which makes the whole install more a pita).

the upside is the whole install is wireless which makes life easier.
factory radio remains, it just has no face. the steering wheel controls work and bluetooth takes care of the audio from the tablet.
stuck a nokia dt-900 induction charger behind the tablet case so it charges when docked in.

i could use your fiberglass skills.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

It actually fits PERFECTLY in front of the JDM dash. You'd have to cut a little hole on the side to pass the micro USB plug through though
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:46 PM

dang, i want this done so badly. Do you think there is any way I could access my "AUX" option on the steering wheel control? I looked everything and can't find anything
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:39 AM

This is awesome! Too bad I can't reach my navi from driving position...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:31 PM

i'm surprised vendors don't have in-dash kits for tablets yet
Old Oct 19, 2013, 01:33 AM

Are you gonna run a Bluetooth Obd2 adapter so you can check you vehicle diagnostics on the fly? Nice install btw,.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking about getting the PLX Devices Kiwi 2 bluetooth adapter, but haven't gotten around to doing so yet. I'd love to be able to run the Evoscan android app (they have a new Android tablet with evoscan built in) if at all possible
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:04 PM

Looks pretty good there. JDM dash is the best.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:13 PM

tablet

Good idea. Been wanting to do this for a while. Affraid to make the jump because of the possible engine whine making its way through the power cord and into the speakers. I like a good high quality sound.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Use the shortest length cables you can and make sure they're shielded

Quick Reply: Nexus 7 Tablet install behind the dash :)