Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Mounting a double din Kenwood with a sleeve/cage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting a double din Kenwood with a sleeve/cage

Hello.

Can someone advise on this?
I had the small LCD original player and I replaced it with a double din Kenwood (DNX5220BT).

I want to mount it inside one of these sleeves (or cage) so that I can slide the player in and out without taking apart the surrounding plastic trims.

But the brackets on the car look like this and it only allows me to mount them directly into the player with screws, I don't know how I could mount these brackets onto the above sleve^:

Are these any other type of brackets available? That would allow me to mount a sleve/cage?

If I just mount them fixed with screws like in above photo, the player position is not perfect.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Me? I would bend the tabs to use the original plastic trim from the old radio and then pack behind the sleeve with foam to secure it from bouncing....

Or... mount the sleeve to the ISO bracket from the OEM radio - but use flush-mount screws (drilled to fit your bracket and facing away from the headunit) with self-locking nuts.

The new radios are 'ISO' standard for those Mitsu (and other mfgr's) brackets.
If you can give up on the sleeve/removable capability - then 'carefully' drill holes for the self-tapping sheet metal screws to use the Kenwood headunit without the sleeve...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found this bracket 8701A168 but not sure if it fits aftermarket double DIN or it is for original Mitsubishi large navi.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont waste your time with the cage IMO.

While it may be more convenient to remove the radio with the cage vs with the ISO brackets, it also makes it much easier to steal.

Just leave enough slack in your wiring so you can plug everything in and test before you mount the unit.