Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

EcuTek official EVO X FlashCAN software release

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, ecutek makes money by selling dealers the flashing software and licenses, then dealers mark up the licenses and charge for tuning, so until recently, someone would pay around what it costs for a Cobb accessport just to get a license and then also pay for tuning.

If ecutek license will be around 200USD + tuning, people will be more likely to use this option, provided that the ecutek software has more map definitions than other products , otherwise more people will either use say EcuFlash and do road tuning or just go to you and pay you for tune using Ecuflash, which would save them the money they would otherwise pay for ecutek license.

Cobb's AP is is a flashing device which will come with preloaded maps so some people will only have to pay for the AP, then they can actually sell it if they want to sell car, as opposed to never being able to recoup the money for ecutek license which stays with that ece (unless its possible to do ecu swap) Then like you said, the AP has all of the cool features, like reading sensor data, g-force, soon hp/torque graps, 1/4 mile times, etc.

So all types of tuning are viable and can find a niche for themselves as long as they have something unique to offer and not be out of whack in the pricing scheme ( hint: like a 600-700USD license)

peace

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
The main reason why Ecutek discontinued development for the Evo 8 & 9 was the advent of free tuning tools which obviously rendered the profitability of improving a tuning tool for those applications a moot issue. (its hard to compete against a free product and make a living).

For example- Cobb Tuning has certaing hit a huge home run on its Access Port for Evos and that product is the best Evo tuning tools hands down. However, few of my customers want to spend the additional cost of the Access Port unit itself ($695) in order to get the additional features (live map tracing, data logging, real time tuning, on the fly map switching) etc. This is regretable as the Cobb AP is one amazing product but again its hard to compete against something for free - especially in this economy.

On the Subaru side, Ecutek has continued to add additional features and functions and its product continues to be a world class tuning application.

There are a lot of people who now have expectations that everything should be free when it comes to tuning tools. However, the reality is that a product like this takes hundreds of man hours to develop and test. Having a profit motivation and selling the product for a fee is why companies like Ecutek continue to invest huge sums to keep up with new ecu platforms.

Al

Last edited by pltek; Apr 3, 2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Question: The word on the X MR was that the Tranny ECU needed to be cracked alongside the Engine ECU.

This ECUtek says it has software for the X MR, does that mean the Tranny ECU as well as the Engine ECU have been cracked? I ask because there is supposedly a wtq limit of 300lbs on the MR flywheel, and if you mod near that amount a failsafe kicks in putting the car into limp mode.

Does this software address this issue? If so, how much hp can the stock flywheel handle?

Thanks.
I love how nobody wants to answer you. I could understand not getting a definate answer if nobody actually knew what was up with this, but seriously...dealers are getting the software. It just seems like one of these dealers would have asked EcuTek this all-important question, ya know?

That said, I have a GSR, so its not that important to me. But c'mon...this is a good question!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An employee from Ecutek has posted in this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=20 Maybe you guys can try PM'ing him to see if he can answer any of your questions. Good luck.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kdogg71
I love how nobody wants to answer you. I could understand not getting a definate answer if nobody actually knew what was up with this, but seriously...dealers are getting the software. It just seems like one of these dealers would have asked EcuTek this all-important question, ya know?

That said, I have a GSR, so its not that important to me. But c'mon...this is a good question!
lol, 3 pages in.......I'm used to it by now. Haha.

Old Apr 3, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
An employee from Ecutek has posted in this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=20 Maybe you guys can try PM'ing him to see if he can answer any of your questions. Good luck.

Sorry to say, but that's not just an employee from EcuTek, that's the muster itself, David Power is the owner and mind behind all of this , so big respect to Muster David Power
Old Apr 3, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RanEvo
Sorry to say, but that's not just an employee from EcuTek, that's the muster itself, David Power is the owner and mind behind all of this , so big respect to Muster David Power
Well, Maybe he could pop in and answer some of these guys questions after he already posted in here once....Don't you think?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 02:27 PM
Account Disabled

^Amen.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:28 AM

Our package does not allow re-programming of the gearbox ECU and unless we want to alter ratio shift patterns there is no need for this.

The gearbox communicates with the engine ECU and is monitoring torque output of the engine and compensates clutch operations to suit.

This is an oversimplification but that is the principle.

We were not aware that you have the SST there at the moment. Do you know when you will be seeing them?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by david@ecutek
Our package does not allow re-programming of the gearbox ECU and unless we want to alter ratio shift patterns there is no need for this.

The gearbox communicates with the engine ECU and is monitoring torque output of the engine and compensates clutch operations to suit.

This is an oversimplification but that is the principle.

We were not aware that you have the SST there at the moment. Do you know when you will be seeing them?
Probably not until May.

Thanks a ton for posting, David!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:49 AM

and in answer to another question, the ECU is not locked in any way.

With regard to the previous EVO software our dealer network specifically asked us to prevent the dealer re-flash tool from putting a car back to stock if it went in to a dealer for a minor service and they carried out a routine ECU update.

This would have been potentially disastrous for anyone with a modified car. However we were roundly criticised for doing this at the request of our tuning partners around the world.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So will this be detectable by the dealership if taking th car in for service?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

^+1 and if so, can they void your warranty?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

yes, warranty will be voided.

nebo
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

With regard to the previous EVO software our dealer network specifically asked us to prevent the dealer re-flash tool from putting a car back to stock if it went in to a dealer for a minor service and they carried out a routine ECU update.

This would have been potentially disastrous for anyone with a modified car. However we were roundly criticised for doing this at the request of our tuning partners around the world.
That's good new for me, thanks. Do you plan on offering the Delta Dash product for the Evo X?

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
Account Disabled

This is 100% correct. I remember my discussions with Ecutek regarding this at the time.

The problem with the Evo 8 - 9 was that came out with several revisions for model year '03 and '04 ecus and many dealers would "update" customer ecus when they were in for service. The reason for this was "0300 code" problems and several updates made to the ROMS to address the situation. This presented a logistical nightmare for myself and other tuners to handle re-installing customer's previous reflash. Also, many times customers would be unaware of the reflahs update performed at the dealer and unaware that the tune was then not matching their modifications.

Of course before "open ecu" the locking of the ecu did not pose any problem. After "open ecu" it presented a minor annoyance.

Most Ecutek dealers will unlock any locked ecu free of charge.

Al

Quick Reply: EcuTek official EVO X FlashCAN software release