Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

AMS Brings you The First U.S. Tuned EVO X MR!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichK@AMS
A few months back Martin and Tim had a chance to visit the Mitsubishi USA offices while traveling to the Long Beach Grand Prix Time Attack event. During the visit Tim got a chance to install a few AMS goodies on the new Evo X MR and the nice people at Mitsu let them drive the car a few days while in Cali for the race.

Since then the folks at Mitsu have been putting the car through its paces and even letting the magazine guys in on the fun. So if you want to find out more about the car and how it drives pick up the August Issue of Super Street for the Exclusive, FIRST U.S. –TUNED EVO X MR test drive!

Thank you
Rich, can you cut to the bone and give us the full details on the car? The article is sparse, and a couple of months old.
What tune was used - the same one as the GSR would take? Any tuning on the TC-SST processor?
The article implied that the TC-SST has programmed shift points... so does it imply that those points stay the same no matter what you do to the tune of the engine?
And what is Mitsubishi doing with this car now that they have it back?
What is your plans in regards to offering development specific to the MR?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:51 PM
Account Disabled

Good questions. Response AMS?

I'll keep bumping those questions each page until we hear something.....
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

I spoke with someone at AMS yesterday and they said that the car only has bolt ons and no tune. So far it's been running well, no stuttering or SES. Tranny holding up fine w/o any issues.

They haven't had a chance to tune the MR and they mentioned that there are complexities between the tranny and engine ECUs that might prove challenging but they won't know until they get their hands on one.

It's a wait and see game for us MR guys.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty cool for the x guys out their.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by salukidude
The word from the engineers in Cypress is 350hp.
I thought the tranny would blow up at 301 hp and Mitsu was alerted via satellite causing the warranty to be voided?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
I spoke with someone at AMS yesterday and they said that the car only has bolt ons and no tune.
The article didn't say whether it did or did not have a tune... but guessing from the claimed 350 HP (which, again, didn't' say at the wheels or crank) I didn't think it did. Nonetheless, for a track car, another ~50 at the crank sounds nice. That'll leave it at a very nice spot, and the car already has the gearing to make it work on straightaways where the 5-speed can't (RPM limited).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by groove304
I thought the tranny would blow up at 301 hp and Mitsu was alerted via satellite causing the warranty to be voided?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by groove304
If that was true they could have reflashed the MR's on the boat via satellite and saved me two weeks of waiting.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, just to clear up any confusion the title of "tuned" in this thread is pertaining to the fact that we modified the car. The Actual ECU has not been touched just yet but the HP rating is pretty dead on. About 350HP and its one hell of a ride with the MR tranny.

Eric
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
yes, just to clear up any confusion the title of "tuned" in this thread is pertaining to the fact that we modified the car. The Actual ECU has not been touched just yet but the HP rating is pretty dead on. About 350HP and its one hell of a ride with the MR tranny.

Eric
I'm suing for false advertisment!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:04 AM

About 350HP and its one hell of a ride with the MR tranny.

Eric
Whats that mean? Is it more responsive, does it hit it's peaks faster, does the tranny still shift as fast?
Will you eventually have a tune specific to the MR, and will that tune remap both the ECU for the engine as well as the TC-SST?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Eric
Thats 350 at the crank isnt it? That cant be whp
Old Jul 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dcasandman
Thats 350 at the crank isnt it? That cant be whp
From what it sounds like, they pretty much bolted stuff on and drove it so I'm pretty sure it's crank HP.

Figure around 20% drivetrain loss and we're looking at around 280awhp. I'll have to search through old AMS posts to see if their bolt ons were yielding that much power sans tune.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Found this thread. Martin from AMS guesstimates around 50 - 60 CRANK HP with the stuff on the X MR sans tune.

So that should be around 280 - 290 awhp.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ms+intercooler
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

the title is very misleading, and if you post something, then back it up guys, dont tease

Quick Reply: AMS Brings you The First U.S. Tuned EVO X MR!!!