Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Z chip or Cobb Accessport for the X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GO Cobb AP all the Way. The Pricing point seems to be a bit high on the Z for what you get Vs. the AP and all the venders are really being competive. I got a Geat Deal on the AP From Bryan @ CVR ----> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...=newpm&u=33007
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Zeitronix is $399, is half the cost of the next competitor in line and has ALL of the PERFORMANCE for WHAT YOU GET.

The ZChip does not WRITE over the ECU mapping, does not require you to use A. B. or C. map, or use the AUTHORIZED tuner only option at custom dyno time.

The ZCHIP is the only END USER interface that comes FREE with TUNER SOFTWARE, allows the end buyer to custom tune the car themselves or anyone else they deem appropriate for the JOB.

Most basemaps will dynotune out at +62whp on less than 93 octane based on our independant results. Custom tuning car be as high as 85whp-107whp.

Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
The ZCHIP is the only END USER interface that comes FREE with TUNER SOFTWARE, allows the end buyer to custom tune the car themselves or anyone else they deem appropriate for the JOB.
This is flat out not true. The AccessTuner Race, free with the AP, gives the user or anyone the user chooses the option to fully custom tune their car.

Once again, peak number are only a small part of the tune. Anybody can make big power, especially with dyno parameters. Offering repeatable power with a smooth tune is what should be expected from a tuning solution.

Take note how I don't feel the need to bold or color my text.

Thanks,

Last edited by Rob@cobbtuning; Jan 29, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Rob@cobbtuning
This is flat out not true. The AccessTuner Race, free with the AP, gives the user or anyone the user chooses the option to fully custom tune their car. Not only that but the tuning is not limited to few tricked parameter changes. Custom tuning options and expandability are huge compared to any piggy back.

Once again, peak number are only a small part of the tune. Anybody can make big power, especially with dyno parameters. Offering repeatable power with a smooth tune is what should be expected from a tuning solution.

Take note how I don't feel the need to bold or color my text.

Thanks,
Take note how our ZChip tuned results on stock parts has propelled our near stock 2008 Evo X to 12.0@113.03mph on the first pass out in the current setup.

Please take note in companies with the dedication and feeback ratings based on their products and services offered to acquire and purchase a vehicle for the sole purpose to test and retest their products on their own vehicles so that there are no issues such as incompatiblility with certain JDM and EURO models which we have tested to be compatible with the ZChip for Evo X.

Thanks to the lack of testing on some international models by our competitors and lack of response to consumer complaints about the same, the ZChip's international notoriety has skyrocketed, making it a true global plug-n-play system able to be used to tune an end user's Evo X from Kentucky, USA to Dubai, UAE, Canada, Kuwait, Germany or Austrailia.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jan 29, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Take note how our ZChip tuned results on stock parts has propelled our near stock 2008 Evo X to 12.0@113.03mph on the first pass out in the current setup.

Please take note in companies with the dedication and feeback ratings based on their products and services offered to acquire and purchase a vehicle for the sole purpose to test and retest their products on their own vehicles so that there are no issues such as incompatiblility with certain JDM and EURO models which we have tested to be compatible with the ZChip for Evo X.

Thanks to the lack of testing on some international models by our competitors and lack of response to consumer complaints about the same, the ZChip's international notoriety has skyrocketed, making it a true global plug-n-play system able to be used to tune an end user's Evo X from Kentucky, USA to Dubai, UAE, Canada, Kuwait, Germany or Austrailia.
You know what you have that I would love right now? The weather. Man what I wouldn't give for a nice warm day. The past week has been cold and snowy. You should see the icicles hanging off my roof. They could kill a person. Good thing spring is just around the corner.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
Account Disabled

We would like for some nice icy cold air to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine and cram some more oxygen in the engine with each stroke. Gosh, we would die for just half the humidity that we are left to deal with here in hot, humid Florida.

With the lack of an aftermarket FMIC on our car, the icy cold air up north would serve the same purpose and then some.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Go with the Z chip only because I know scott.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:27 PM

this should have been closed a while ago with you two going back inforth.. but anyways ill be going with the Cobb haha..
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

We would like for some nice icy cold air to increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine and cram some more oxygen in the engine with each stroke. Gosh, we would die for just half the humidity that we are left to deal with here in hot, humid Florida.

With the lack of an aftermarket FMIC on our car, the icy cold air up north would serve the same purpose and then some.
There you go, the grass is always greener on the other side. 4500 feet in altitude, you don't want any of this.

Last edited by Rob@cobbtuning; Jan 30, 2009 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

The Zeitronix is $399, is half the cost of the next competitor in line and has ALL of the PERFORMANCE for WHAT YOU GET.
I dont know about other people but I get tired of reading these false statements. The Z-chip is $399. You can buy an Accessport for $599 (and yes I have gotten a quote from a vendor for this price brand new). After some math, $399/$599, you get the zchip to be 2/3 rds the price of the Accessport and not 1/2. You can also get a mail in flash for $450 to $500 so that is your other comparison.

The ZChip does not WRITE over the ECU mapping, does not require you to use A. B. or C. map, or use the AUTHORIZED tuner only option at custom dyno time.
You are correct that the ZChip does not write over the ECU because it is a piggyback. When writing over the ECU, you can alter every parameter in the ECU including changing the rev limiter. Also, most people would consider the option of using A, B and C maps to be an advantage because you can flash your car with the economy map, vallet map, and anti-theft map and also add other maps as you like (both off the shelf and custom).

This is also completely false. The Accessport has FREE software that you can download and use to tune your car. You can also datalog with the Accessport and the tuning software where you can record data from any stock sensor (including knock).

Most basemaps will dynotune out at +62whp on less than 93 octane based on our independant results. Custom tuning car be as high as 85whp-107whp.
HP numbers will vary from car to car, location to location, so claiming these peak numbers is really a wash. The Accessport has more adjustability then the ZChip so it has the capability to yeild the same (if not better) power results.

I was a big fan of the ZChip when it came out and it seemed to be one of the best tuning options on the market. Honestly, after reading post after post from TTP i have been completely turned away. The way they go about making posts and always trying to claim they are better and basically being rude to forum members (aka potential customers) is just a huge letdown and turn off. The ZChip is a great product and it has a niche in the Evo X world. I just wish they would improve the way they approach things. I honestly believe that the TTP guys are amazing tuners and they do only top notch work based on the reviews by many of their customers. It is just sad to see how they come off to people on the forums.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

I have a Zchip but have yet to install it - I'm taking it easy, making logs with the Zeitronix ZT-2 that I just finished installing this week.

To be honest, I looked at both the AP and the ZChip, but I chose the ZChip with ZT-2 because it seemed that the AP lacked custom tuning software. I wasn't a fan of having to use a small device to change settings or look at logs. I got my info from:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3942

It doesn't actually mention any software that can be loaded onto a laptop, nor any mechanism to connect the AP to a PC. It does mention software, but I had assumed it was either something that was loaded onto the device, or something available to pros only (it says "AccessTUNER Pro for the EVO X is available to the COBB Pro Tuner network").

I would love a device to be able to examine ECU parameters like I was doing with EvoScan on my VIII. I would especially like to log knock counts. For this reason, I'll look into the AP again, but for now it'd be good to see more info about the device (screenshots of software, etc) on the site.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

^^ The AccessTuner Race is out FYI
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the fact that TTP does nothing but put up posts in the tone of a snake oil salesman turns me off. not just the fact that he simply does not answer the technical questions about the product.

i am glad that i bought the AP. robb and the others at cobb have gone way far and beyond the call of duty for support. i haven't bought any product, automotive or whatever, where the public was in regular contact with the makers for advice and support.

the back and forth stuff on here is silly.

btw TTP, Dubai is a city in the UAE.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

AccessPORT Features and Support for EVO X

Originally Posted by ksattic
I have a Zchip but have yet to install it - I'm taking it easy, making logs with the Zeitronix ZT-2 that I just finished installing this week.

To be honest, I looked at both the AP and the ZChip, but I chose the ZChip with ZT-2 because it seemed that the AP lacked custom tuning software. I wasn't a fan of having to use a small device to change settings or look at logs. I got my info from:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3942

It doesn't actually mention any software that can be loaded onto a laptop, nor any mechanism to connect the AP to a PC. It does mention software, but I had assumed it was either something that was loaded onto the device, or something available to pros only (it says "AccessTUNER Pro for the EVO X is available to the COBB Pro Tuner network").

I would love a device to be able to examine ECU parameters like I was doing with EvoScan on my VIII. I would especially like to log knock counts. For this reason, I'll look into the AP again, but for now it'd be good to see more info about the device (screenshots of software, etc) on the site.
ksattic,

I apologize that our website came up a bit short on your quest for information when comparison shopping. It is important that you have accurate information regarding the products you are considering in order to make the best decision for your purchase.

One of the things I am currently working on is the development of additional web pages that better explain the capabilities of the AccessPORT and the supporting software. As a matter of fact, last evening I posted a new page that is a general summary of the AccessPORT, AccessTUNER Pro and AccessTUNER Race. You can view this information at cobbtuning.com/accessport.

I am in the process of building additional pages that will show what AccessPORT features are supported and what LiveData and DataLogging channels are available by Make/Model/Year. This way, those considering an AccessPORT will have a much better understanding of what the AccessPORT is capable of.

In the meantime, here is the current support info for the Evo X:

AccessPORT Hand-Held Capabilities

Base Maps:
COBB Tuning provides several preloaded maps for common power modifications. Each base map is dyno developed and rigorously tested in multiple COBB Tuning facilities across the country. These tests cover the spectrum of altitude, temperature, humidity, octane and fuel quality variables to ensure proper calibration and performance wherever the car is driven.

- Multiple maps included with AccessPORT at no charge
- Stock
- Stage 1
- Stage 2 (just released for EVO X)
- Valet (3,200 rpm rev limit)
- Anti Theft (vehicle will not start)
Tune
- Flash Map
- Store Map (all base and custom tuned maps stored on AccessPORT for easy accessibility)
- Swap Map
- Show Current Map

Monitor:
- Data Logging (csv file exportable to spreadsheet and charting software)
- Live Data (selected LiveData channel displayed on AccessPORT screen)
- Set Rev Warning (screen flashes red when Rev Warning rpm is reached)
- Set Live Data List
- Set Data Log List
- Reset Live List
- Reset Log List
Monitor Channels: (LiveData & Datalogging)
- Battery Volts
- Vehicle Speed
- RPM
- Intake Air Temp
- ECT
- MAF (V)
- Accel Pedal Pos
- TPS Voltage
- Ign Advance
- Inj Pulse Width
- LTFT
- STFT
- Knock Retard
- Learned Knk Ret
- Intake Cam Adv
- Exhaust Cam Ret
- WGDC Fine
- TPS CL
- MAF (g/s)
- Throttle Position
- Abs. Pressure
- Speed Ratio
- WGDC Coarse
- Load Boost/Fuel
- Load Timing
- Load Limp Mode
Performance:
- 0-60 MPH (0-100 KPH)
- ¼ Mile (400 Meter)
- Dynamometer
- Reset Dyno

Troubleshooting:
- Reset ECU
- Read Codes

Settings:
- Language
- Dutch
- English
- French
- Greek
- Japanese
- Spanish
- Units
- Metric
- Standard
- Metric w/ AFR
Uninstall:
- Restore saved OEM ROM

Recovery Mode:
- Restore saved OEM ROM

Tuning Software Support (PC Windows XP & Vista 32bit)

AccessTUNER Pro
- Professional tuning software used by Pro Tuner network to custom tune nearly any modification configuration

AccessTUNER Race
- Free self tuning software for experienced tuners to custom tune nearly any modification configuration
- cobbtuning.com/accesstuner_race

Technical Support
- Telephone support Monday-Friday 9am-6pm MST (801-713-0035)
- Email support Monday-Friday 9am-6pm MST (tech@cobbtuning.com)
- COBB Tuning Forums Monday-Friday 9am-6pm MST (forums.cobbtuning.com)
- Public forum monitoring and response

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of the AccessPORT's capabilities, software availability and support structure so that you can make a decision for the product that best suits your needs. This information will be up on our website shortly.

Thanks,

Gary Sheehan
Director of Marketing
COBB Tuning

Last edited by COBB Tuning; Jan 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the good info. Some additional questions:

1. Can you log from the stock MAP sensor?
2. How does the AP connect to the PC - via USB or serial?
3. Can you log directly to a connected PC, or is the standard way to log to the AP and then copy logs to the PC? If the latter, what is the max log length?

Quick Reply: Z chip or Cobb Accessport for the X