Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Anyone bought Cobb AP from them?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone bought Cobb AP from them?

Hello All,

I just found that they sell Cobb AP for $600....

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servle...shi-EVO/Detail

Um, I really wonder why they sell it so cheap, I was going to buy that but kind of scared.

Is there any version different for AP or they are all the same?

Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are a licensed dealer, then Cobb will be all over them for breaking the MAP rules I'm sure.

The MAP rules are why every dealer always shows the same price for every Cobb part. Annoying...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

actually its not annoying, it helps to maintain resale value of cobb products, for one

Originally Posted by goofygrin
If they are a licensed dealer, then Cobb will be all over them for breaking the MAP rules I'm sure.

The MAP rules are why every dealer always shows the same price for every Cobb part. Annoying...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

It actually is annoying because it is veiled price fixing. Value of my AP be damned, price fixing is illegal.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

It looks like its the real deal. I doubt they are an authorized dealer with Cobb.

For anyone interested, we have several in stock for the Evo 10 and are running specials as well.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:11 PM

Wow,

I just checked the price again, in some reason they changed back to $695....

werid...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

how is requiring that dealers advertise at MSRP price fixing?

Originally Posted by goofygrin
It actually is annoying because it is veiled price fixing. Value of my AP be damned, price fixing is illegal.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Does your question answer your question?

The fact that you have to ask it means you haven't really thought about it. Forcing your dealers to advertise at a fixed price forces a lack of competitive forces in the market.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fred beans is a local mitsu dealership here in pa. kind of strange that a dealership would be selling something to modify the ecu.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

That isn't price fixing. That is a manufacturer protecting their dealers and the value of their product, and most reputable companies do it. It also protects your resale.

Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some guy sitting at home on his couch selling parts online for 5% margin because some mfg set him up as a dealer. For those of us that have real businesses...that kills us. I have 4000sq ft, a couple hundred grand in equipment, and 5 employees to feed.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
fred beans is a local mitsu dealership here in pa. kind of strange that a dealership would be selling something to modify the ecu.
personally think that's a good thing, i'm sure if you take your car there for service and you have this as one of your mods they aren't going to and run to tell mitsu that so and so is modding and that's why they thing your car is broken.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by olsookie
personally think that's a good thing, i'm sure if you take your car there for service and you have this as one of your mods they aren't going to and run to tell mitsu that so and so is modding and that's why they thing your car is broken.
i've talked to the service manager over there several times. he sounds like a typical dealership service guy with his thoughts on mods but isn't totally strict. he does know evos though...i got to say.

they can sell whatever they want to make money. they don't need to fix things that break under warranty caused by a mod when they sell it or not.

there is a disclaimer i am sure somewhere.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

The fact is while advertised price is $695, the vendors are undercutting Cobb anyway and the resale value of the AP is suffering. Only suckers pay advertised price on any product and often times the margin is ridiculous. Check over on the Subaru forums. You can get a used AP in the 450-550 range.

NOTE: I also noticed that they changed the price to $695
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
in the end your pretty much only going to pay $200 or so for it...there is always going to be a need for the used AP and when you move onto a new car i'm sure you can offload it pretty easily. I'm waiting for the live.com/ebay cashback program to jump back to 20% or so. It was back up to 8 yesterday
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

^+1. Essentially you will only "rent" the AP for the time being for a nominal fee.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought Cobb AP from them?