Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in..

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in..

Recently I've hit a spell of bad luck with my X. I am sure some of you have read about a few engines blowing and I just happen to be one of those people. Now I know my tune didn't have anything to do with it. However, one problem I did have is, the dealer was able to tell that my car had been flashed. I was under the impression hat my car had been flashed back to stock, but the dealer was able to tell because of a change in the CVN number. My question is how in the heck do they know!? I would like to get my new x flashed but my only thing is I would like a program that won't change the CVN...or if it does I can have the car "flashed back to stock" and the dealer not find out. I am sure a few other people may encounter this problem in the event they need warranty work done to their vehicles. Once they see the computer is flashed they void your powertrain warranty f.Y.I...So if anyone has helpful suggestions I'd love to hear them..you all know how difficult it is to drive an untuned X versus tuned.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

what did you have on your car, may i ask?
Old May 23, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

UR TBE with test pipe, FMIC, UICP and AMS short ram intake..
Old May 23, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
UR TBE with test pipe, FMIC, UICP and AMS short ram intake..
that's assuming you have a reflash as well? what did you reflash with?
Old May 23, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

well..it was either ecutek..or ecuflash..not sure...
Old May 23, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

I was flashed back to the stock map however..keep that in mind..I had some mechanical issue with the car..but had those mods on the car..after it was fixed..just wasn't flashed with another map...
Old May 23, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have AEM air intake, Test pipe and HKS high power exhaust! I was fast as hell on the track even modified 2008 STI couldn't poll as hard as me!
I haven't done FLASH YET!!!
I'm going to buy Cobb AP, In that case if i blow up my engine then I can bring back the factory map and still no one can find out i flashed my ECU!
So think little smart for those of you who want to flash their ECU
Old May 24, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hassan!
I have AEM air intake, Test pipe and HKS high power exhaust! I was fast as hell on the track even modified 2008 STI couldn't poll as hard as me!
I haven't done FLASH YET!!!
I'm going to buy Cobb AP, In that case if i blow up my engine then I can bring back the factory map and still no one can find out i flashed my ECU!
So think little smart for those of you who want to flash their ECU
um. i think you're confused. cobb ap is equivalent to ecuflash. only difference being cobb ap is more user-accessible.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

I was flashed back to the stock map however..keep that in mind..I had some mechanical issue with the car..but had those mods on the car..after it was fixed..just wasn't flashed with another map...
hm based on those mods you got...i really don't see how your engine could blow. those mods aren't exactly over-the-top either. bad stroke of luck i guess worst case, i suggest you replace the ecu entirely with an unflashed one and call it a day.

what happened to your engine anyway? i know you've been getting CELs, but the next thing is engine blow. what entailed?
Old May 24, 2009, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

well the car was running lean, and I replaced the MAF. The problem went away and I didn't have any issues. I bought an o2 Wideband and installed it just to make sure my AFR's were where they were suppose to be. The AFr's where fine. So since I made another appointment to get custom tuned, I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and throw on the intake..I think there is where I made my mistake. I think since the intake leans the car out it might have done it a little too much..the internal engine damamge was caused because of a lean condition, so...that's how it happened. Running an intake without a tune can be very very dangerous. So, I plan on leaving this car stock...but I want to know if I can get flashed without the CVN being changed...while I love the idea of the Cobb AP, I think it's limited compared to a custom tune. However, with the AP I heard it doesn 't change the CVN, which is awesome. But, custom dyno tunes can max out everything, giving better results...idk..I am hoping there is some sort of software that can provide a tune..yet be undetectedable by mitsu...
Old May 24, 2009, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

get a seperate ECU to tune on. problem fixed.
Old May 24, 2009, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

well the car was running lean, and I replaced the MAF. The problem went away and I didn't have any issues. I bought an o2 Wideband and installed it just to make sure my AFR's were where they were suppose to be. The AFr's where fine. So since I made another appointment to get custom tuned, I thought it might be a good idea to go ahead and throw on the intake..I think there is where I made my mistake. I think since the intake leans the car out it might have done it a little too much..the internal engine damamge was caused because of a lean condition, so...that's how it happened. Running an intake without a tune can be very very dangerous. So, I plan on leaving this car stock...but I want to know if I can get flashed without the CVN being changed...while I love the idea of the Cobb AP, I think it's limited compared to a custom tune. However, with the AP I heard it doesn 't change the CVN, which is awesome. But, custom dyno tunes can max out everything, giving better results...idk..I am hoping there is some sort of software that can provide a tune..yet be undetectedable by mitsu...
judging by what you just said, your tune may very well have something to do with it. you modified the tune and slapped on mods on top of that. if you were on unflashed i'd say you should have been safe, given the rich factory tune. it also sounds like your tuner didn't give any free room for the numbers and pushed it to the limit. something simple like an intake alone should not blow your engine.

since your cvn has been changed, your best course of action is flash the ecu to stock maps, or a new ecu if you fancy that. from what i know, the cvn (calibration verification number) is based on what you have for the map, and what VIN you have (pertaining to model i think, not specific car). it's like a CRC32 scheme of sorts. as long as you have a cvn that matches the db's cvn for your model, you should be okay. note: *should.*

you took it into the dealer already, so i don't know if they have a record of that or something. go to another dealer when you're ready just in case.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks EndGame!!! that cleared up alot of confusion..but I am starting from scratch with a brand new X..so tell me..can I get a tune and not have the CVN changed..I have a full turbo back, FMIC, UICP, and intake sitting around collecting dust..I really want to mod this new evo asap..it will kill me to drive this car and nothing is done to it...
Old May 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

what are you doing with your old X? (the one that got the warranty denied)
Old May 24, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

The dealer is buying it back

Quick Reply: CVN!? Tuners feel free to chime in..