Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

HBspeed on Socal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I don't understand is after you've been told your car has boost spikes, you don't A). Request your money and factory tune back or B). Stop ragging on your car when you know it's not running right, until the issues are properly taken care of? Once you told Mitsubishi your car was tuned you've pretty much shot yourself in the foot with none other than your own gun! Like other's said, the more people who trash their car and bring it back for warranty work only makes it harder for guys like me (who see no need to tune an already fast car) to have warranty work covered! If it's not fast enough stock, why even waste your time tuning it and running the risk?

Last edited by Xtremist; Jul 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't mind hearing the unfiltered HBSpeed version, but this is what I can't figure out...

If, as a tuner, you have a customer car with massive boost spikes that you fail to control multiple times, why don't you put the car back to stock and send him on his way? If there is a mechanical issue with the car, why let it out the door with your tune in the first place? Once that became apparent, HBSpeed should have terminated the agreement. Why bother trying to tune a malfunctioning car in the first place? Tell the guy to come back when it's fixed.

I can't watch the videos at work, but it seems apparent the guy beat the car pretty hard. Still, I can't fathom a condition where the tune wasn't to blame. Was the overboost present on the stock tune? That could be a deciding factor, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

These dudes are going around, creating profiles just to bash HBspeed... Loss of credibility in my book. Actions speak louder than words, and this dude for sure, doesn't know **** about what ill effects adding mods, especially air flow mods, without a tune, will have on the X. And as for thrashing his car like that, noticing that there was issues, only proves his negligence and ignorance even more... This is probably the result of not reading the forums and obtaining necessary information/knowledge about our cars! lol
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I wouldn't mind hearing the unfiltered HBSpeed version, but this is what I can't figure out...

If, as a tuner, you have a customer car with massive boost spikes that you fail to control multiple times, why don't you put the car back to stock and send him on his way? If there is a mechanical issue with the car, why let it out the door with your tune in the first place? Once that became apparent, HBSpeed should have terminated the agreement. Why bother trying to tune a malfunctioning car in the first place? Tell the guy to come back when it's fixed.

I can't watch the videos at work, but it seems apparent the guy beat the car pretty hard. Still, I can't fathom a condition where the tune wasn't to blame. Was the overboost present on the stock tune? That could be a deciding factor, as far as I'm concerned.
i wonder if he had an MBC or another boost control part on there prior to its catastrophic melt down... Then he could take those parts off, give it to HBspeed to "try" to fix it. Then put all blame on a company, knowing it had a pre-existing issue, most likely due to the OP's friends actics... ?? just speculation at this point though. lol
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm sorry, but I am siding with the tuner on this one.

That car was clearly abused, and in that video, you can hear him just laying on the rev limiter a few times.

And the fact the tuner actually reduced the boost proves it was already overboosting. You can't wipe your butt with your car and blame someone else.

As far as this downpipe goes, I've been running the exact same one on my car professionally tuned for 4k miles with nary a hiccup. I also have friends using the downpipe. To me, the problem is clearly one of owner abuse.

I'm not going to let this thread continue in this capacity. If you are getting SAWC codes and continue to beat on your car when the ECU is intervening, you need a heavy dose of rationality.

HB Speed, if you would like to comment, PM me and I will unlock it for you.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Facts about Ryan and his car:

* He beats the **** out of it and TOLD us so ... " I turn the ASC OFF EVERY TIME I GET IN THE CAR!"
* "I Beat the **** out of my car"
* Car had a MECHANICAL problem that caused over boost conditions on a STOCK tune

I could go on and on but instead i will provide you with proof that this person is a fool

Here is the VIDEO of this "just to burn the tires off"

http://hbspeed.com/retarded/Evo%20X%...%202-15-09.wmv

I never said It was my fault, because it wasn't. Just another who blew his **** up and is trying to blame the tuner. I have more physical evidence that this is NOT caused by a tune but due to the fact ryan i s trying to proceed with legal actions i will not provide that on a public forum

please note the HUGE 26+ psi SPIKE on the STOCK tune that he came in on

i LOWERED his boost.......

His downpipe was causing the car to spike hard @ 4k and i did my best several times to control it (allof which worked when i was in the car. When i lowered the boost he complained that it was too slow...............

his afr was VERY steady and if the pressure rose the fuel should get richer as well.

but this car was quite Violent in its overboost (hence the need to try to control it several times)

here is Boost Vs AFR on this car

and his hp/tq

these are the First tuned maps
the following maps i turned the power down almost 30-35 whp to avoid this
situation after finding his videos and seeing how he drives......

Here is the thing they way HE says it went down and our "Customer service" is VERY different than REALTIY

I cannot go into too much detail about it because if Ryan tries to take us to small claims court as he has stated that he will do if we don't pay for his whole repair bill and his car payments for 2 months, i will have given him all the evidence we have against him here in a public forum, and i will no do that .

That being said
people are MISSING the actual time line of things:
  • Ryan came in for a tune and said " i beat the **** out of my car, i want AS much power as i can get"
  • We attempt to fix it..... doesn't do it for me after a few tweaks
  • Ryan comes back again complaining of back firing and lack of power (which i reduced the lat time the car was in to protect it)
  • took the car on a test drive and eliminated the problem.
  • No word from him.... untill it blows up
  • He calls the shop we tell him try mistubishi , but reflash to stock first. Told him to bring it by for the reflash. to which he says he cant afford to tow it to us. since mitsu is towing it its going to HB mitsu ......
  • There Absolutely was communication between Ryan and HB Speed during that time
  • We offered to do for $2000 LESS than he paid
  • We would have done it for less once we saw what needed to be done and we wanted to help him out. Ryans attitude towards us was NOT pleasant and there for very difficult to deal with.
That is all that i can say for now, but he didn't ask for a REFUND until a week ago.....

We TRIED to help as much as we felt was reasonable for the situation. Ryan SIGNED AND DATED our STANDARD Dyno Liability Waiver, which EVERYONE signs ill quote a line from it here

3. Customer agrees that agent is not responsible for any loss or damage to his vehicle or person as a result of the
operation of same. Agent has made no representations other than those expressly made herein. No warranties
or guarantees have been made to customer who expressly acknowledge and understand the following:

a. Vehicles can and do suffer serious and catastrophic damage during or after operation on a
Dynamometer. A Dynamometer pushes a vehicle and many of its mechanical components to critical
levels, which by its very nature may cause failures of these components.

b. Automobiles are inherently unpredictable and unsafe, and operating or riding in a vehicle can
lead to serious injury or death.

4. Customer agrees that all risks of loss or damage to his vehicle or person with regard to operation of his
vehicle by agent or customer remains with him.

There you have it... for more info please PM me and ill provide more links

Last edited by HB Speed; Jul 28, 2009 at 05:40 PM.