Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

factory ecu map + fp red and boltons, will my car start?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory ecu map + fp red and boltons, will my car start?

So im going to be attempting my fp red install with a friend of mine and i have a couple questions.

Will the factory ecu map be a good enough base map to be able to start the car and have it running good enough to drive the car onto a trailer so i don't have to pay a retarded amount of money for labor on installs? I was planning to install all other bolt ons as well but leave the stock injectors in until the car arrives at my tuner. Any info or recommendations you guys could throw at me would be greatly appreciated. With all the info , support and DIY's on this forum i feel confident enough to install these parts myself so i can't justify spending the extra cash when its not needed.

mods will be :

ams fmic
harman motive uicp, licp, intake
ported fp red
forge wga red spring
ams dp, testpipe, cbe
walbro pump
deatschwerks 1000cc inj
aquamist hfs6 meth kit
ecutek tune by Cam at Lightspeed Innovatons

Thanks !
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as you do not get into boost you will be okay. Just stay in vacuum and you will be okay. It will be fine to drive on top a trailer and then shut it off and transport it. I do not recommend you got for a joy ride after a install without a tune.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I'd also run the wastegate on straight manifold pressure just to make certain you cannot possibly hit peak boost.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:08 PM

I have no intentions of driving the car around the block. I just want to be sure it will somehwat idle and be able to be driven onto a trailer. Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:33 PM

i still have to ask has this been done? can someone actually say " yes the map will work i have completed the install myself and the car started and i was able to get it on a trailer " somewhere along those lines maybe? not saying that clipse3gt is wrong but i didn't see a fp red in his sig.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:36 PM

Cant speak for EVOs but I have done this on Subarus and it worked just fine just avoid boost and you will be fine.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:47 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can drive the car just fine. You will need larger injectors and a walbro fuel pump with UR pump kit to get it tuned.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You can drive the car just fine. You will need larger injectors and a walbro fuel pump with UR pump kit to get it tuned.
Thank you. When you mean " You can drive the car just fine " do you mean id be able to drive 600 kms to get it tuned rather then having to trailer it? That would be a huge bonus lol but i imagine its not recommended although my eyes would be locked on the wideband gauge. I am considering the UR install kit and fuel filter kit but i still find it quite pricey for the two pieces. I was told HBspeed has an install kit but im yet to find any info on it and have not received a email back. I see everyone running the walbro but how.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frodo
Cant speak for EVOs but I have done this on Subarus and it worked just fine just avoid boost and you will be fine.
member since 2007 and that was your first post? welcome buddy and thanks for your experiences!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to drive the car the whole way if need be. You should disconnect the wastegate arm for safety measure this way the car will not be able to boost.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You should be able to drive the car the whole way if need be. You should disconnect the wastegate arm for safety measure this way the car will not be able to boost.
Awesome thanks for your help. I will leave it detached when i throw the WGA on the turbo, this makes me feel much better about everything feewwff
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

I would install everything except for the the injectors. You'll be dumping a lot more fuel since they have to be scaled once tuned. I drove with my DOM 2 170 and let the shop install the injectors and I was all good. I was hard staying in vac...but 10 psi partial throttle won't do any dammage! Great choice of parts btw!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and don't hook up the meth. Let the shop finish it for you. Whos tuning the car?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lex08gsr
Oh and don't hook up the meth. Let the shop finish it for you. Whos tuning the car?
I will be letting the shop finish the final install of the meth ill be mountiong the pump , gauge and tap the pipes for the jets myself but will get cam at lightspeed to do the final touches and tune the car along with install the injectors. Thanks for your advice!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Np! Where is she getting tuned?

Quick Reply: factory ecu map + fp red and boltons, will my car start?