Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Discuss: Disabling DTCs Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the bigger issue here was that most tuners could not get the airflow/torque tables set up properly for everyday driving. These limits were more designed based on power, not boost. The boost limit table is probably sufficient enough for all of us in my opinion. Set your boost where you feel comfortable and then your limit table. If something gets out of hand, pull your teeth of your steering wheel and adjust your boost and/or limits. Simple as that.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goofygrin
the logic you guys are displaying makes NO SENSE.

If your tuner is competent and your tune is correct, then YOU SHOULD NEVER HIT THESE PROTECTIVE DTCs, so there should be no need to disable them.

That's my opinion.

Getting rid of these codes is alot more involved than just adjusting whatever limiters .. it includes adjusting everything possible that affects making of power

Turning off these codes are just convenience issue .. because you'll never know when you'll throw other stuff now ..
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DTCs were designed and calibrated to inform and to help identify trouble areas over the design life of the car on stock power levels. Many of us now put out 70% whp or more over stock, so we are way over spec on things like conrods, bearings, driveshafts etc . Disabling the DTCs should be the least of our concerns. If you make the power and if the AFRs, EGTs and knock is under control (and you pass inspection), you are good to go. That is my opinion.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
My issue isn't with discussion. My issue is that people say "get a good tune and then disable" -- which makes no sense.

It seems to me that for MOST people disabling the checks is simply a shortcut.

Your case is likely a fringe case and I'm interested to see if there are other people that have taken the time to determine if they need to disable them or if they just jump to disable.

My concern is that by disabling these codes, simply to make life easier, I'm going to blow my motor due to prolonged "overboost" conditions.
I had the same type of issues Hiboost had. I'd spend all kinds of time making sure the Airflow and Torque tables were spot on, but there was always some type of part throttle/low boost driving condition that would put me into limp mode for what seemed like absolutely no reason. When I adjusted them lower to compensate, they ended up too low and threw the limp mode higher up with more airflow and boost. It was a never ending cirlce, so I turned the codes off and never worried about them again.

As far as prolonged overboost is concerned, there's still a boost limit table in the ECU that has nothing to do with the Airflow and Torque limits being turned off. After your desired boost is set, you set the boost limit and it's delay time. If the load value is over the limit for your set amout of time, it'll hit the fuel cut.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Jan 7, 2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Same issue I had when I had to tune for my big bore throttle body, my Airflow and Torque tables were right at the fine line between triggering either the too low or too high code. I was going at it for two weeks it was an never ending cycle and no way to completely tune it out. It was dangerous to hitting the limp mode on the streets so I turned the codes off and it never hit on me again.

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
I had the same type of issues Hiboost had. I'd spend all kinds of time making sure the Airflow and Torque tables were spot on, but there was always some type of part throttle/low boost driving condition that would put me into limp mode for what seemed like absolutely no reason. When I adjusted them lower to compensate, they ended up too low and threw the limp mode higher up with more airflow and boost. It was a never ending cirlce, so I turned the codes off and never worried about them again.

Last edited by LVSBB6; Jan 7, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

So there is no table or anything we can set in the ECU to widen the GAP for acceptable airflow/torque? You would think with the ability to set a high and low, there would be a table for the band.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
So there is no table or anything we can set in the ECU to widen the GAP for acceptable airflow/torque? You would think with the ability to set a high and low, there would be a table for the band.
Nothing that has been found yet and I'm not sure it exists.

ScottSpeed21 & LVSBB6: thanks for chiming in on the reasoning for disabling the codes on your setups. I figure when looking to upgrade to a 75mm TB it would be impossible to not disable the DTC codes for all but the most stock like car, which would likely be very little benefit until you run a higher modified setup anyways.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Nothing that has been found yet and I'm not sure it exists.

ScottSpeed21 & LVSBB6: thanks for chiming in on the reasoning for disabling the codes on your setups. I figure when looking to upgrade to a 75mm TB it would be impossible to not disable the DTC codes for all but the most stock like car, which would likely be very little benefit until you run a higher modified setup anyways.
I guess that it would be too convenient to have such a table
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Yes I have to disable them too. I can play with my tables all day long and still once in awhile i get limp (not my you know what LOL) so yes I have disable mine. Am I scared no!!! Im not going fight some BS all day long just make my nuts feel better. I'm safe and know I am why worry about going into limp here and there.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

The more I think about this the dumber it is about why there wouldn't be a way to widen the gap between the high and low setpoints. There has to be a way, I just think we haven't found it yet. It would be bad programming to not be able to affect the band there. However, that gap could be determined by other inputs/sensors like MAF or something....I don't know. I still say there should be a way to set that gap higher.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

When there is great!!! till now disable them lol.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
If the resolution of the Airflow/Torque limit tables have finer scales with smaller increments in both rpm and load direction, I`m pretty sure the limp mode can be tuned out. I was at the point where each increment +/- of load would trigger the too low/high code.

Originally Posted by Hiboost

I can imagine 75mm TB would throw out the tables even more, especially in the low load/rpm region where you uses in daily driving the most.
I find the Jun TB works really well even on mildly modified SST, especially in minimizing the throttle lag issue. My Blitz throttle controller is rarely turned on since I installed the TB, whereas before I was using it on daily basis.

Last edited by LVSBB6; Jan 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

so if you turn the dtc's off then there is no need to try to adjust the airflow and torque tables right? or do you still adjust them as much as you can? What do these tables represent exactly? i mean is it something along the lines of lets say the boost limit tables. meaning, stock the engine is suppose to see only "x" amount of air and torque and if the values it actually hits are higher than that then it throws dtcs, right? but if turned off, then no need to adjust, since it doesn't matter.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

You should still dial them in close so you don't get the ASC type "soft" code. I have that right now. You won't go into limp mode, but since your airflow tables are wrong it will still disable your asc, which becomes more of an annoyance than anything really, just need to restart your car.

I would say get them as best you can and then disable.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

what if i haven't had any problems with that either though?....

Quick Reply: Discuss: Disabling DTCs Yes or No