Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.
View Poll Results: Which 3 Port bc???
GM 3 Port
20.82%
Perrin
9.67%
Grimmspeed
51.67%
AMS ebc
1.49%
Evolution Dyamics
1.49%
Tactrix (prodrive)
4.46%
AEM (MAC 35A)
4.83%
other...
5.58%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Which 3 Port Boost Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Excellent Info

so Both GM and Grimmspeed are reliable

I like reading GS failsafe though, does the GM do the same???
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for going a little OT...So a 3 port boost solenoid is better than a boost controller ?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So does GM have a failsafe incase of failure and how many GM failures have there been?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by silverevo05
Excellent Info

so Both GM and Grimmspeed are reliable

I like reading GS failsafe though, does the GM do the same???

I'm not sure what you mean by failsafe. But if the GM bcs is de-energized (ex: you somehow forgot to plug it in) you will run on wastegate pressure. Thats as safe as you can get when talking boost controllers.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

a little late, but I am running the AEM unit, 24psi currently holds all the way to redline @8700rpm. Will be back at AMS next month for retune with 93 and 110, shooting for 35+Psi on 110, will post up how the AEM holds up then.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:17 AM

Im running the grimmspeed. It is an awesome product. Got it for a good deal from psi proformance.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grimmspeed. 26 psi down to 19. Works good for me.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:33 PM

i'm surprised to see that the grimmspeed has the highest votes.
AEM/turbosmart/hondata/and grimmspeed use the MAC35 valve.
perrin uses the humphrey v310-12vdc valve.
GM is AC DELCO.
they're all the same.
i've heard equal number of good and bad things about all of them.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:35 PM

and no BCS is failsafe.
if a GM valve gets stuck when it's closed, good bye a lot of expensive stuff.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
T6
Evolving Member

grimmspeed all the way.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abhir
i'm surprised to see that the grimmspeed has the highest votes.
AEM/turbosmart/hondata/and grimmspeed use the MAC35 valve.
perrin uses the humphrey v310-12vdc valve.
GM is AC DELCO.
they're all the same.
i've heard equal number of good and bad things about all of them.
But, but, it has SPEED in the name, it must be the best!
Ingersoll-Rand for me. Works great.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:42 PM

I see from the poll results that our customers definitely stand behind our product, and even though over here at GrimmSpeed we see that time and time again, we are still thrilled to see overwhelming support. Thank you very much so far folks!

I've been busy as hell today but i think its important to provide some brief explanations as to why so many consumers, as well as tuners, prefer to use our solenoid:

Through internet sleuthing many have ascertained that our valve is manufactured by MAC. However, it is not simply an off the shelf 35 series valve as has been previously stated. If that were the case people would simply order 35 series valves and call it a day. I can't comment on all of the other manufacturers that sell 35 series MAC valves, but while it is a very high quality valve, it is not yet ready for reliable duty as your boost control solenoid. Without going too far into specifics I can say that our valve is specially designed and manufactured for us. If you called your local MAC supplier it would not be possible to order or replicate the GrimmSpeed valve. This is not a product that we simply sat down, called our supplier, and specified some quick changes from the off-the-shelf unit. We were able to utilize their expert resources after we identified our needs, and the end result is a product that has proven its reliability and repeatability time and time again.

At the most basic level, our valve is environmentally sealed, not only the valve but the connections themselves. It was optimized for the environment that it will spend its entire life in (dust, dirt, solvents, heat, etc), that's a no-brainer. However, where our valve trumps the competition is in its design features. First and foremost is wear-compensation. The solenoid cycles thousand and thousands of times during its life, and the MAC valves are the only valves that can guarantee their repeatability (patented design). The Kip, Humphrey, Ingersol Rand and AC Delco valves simply can not and do not offer this wear compensation, and can not be guaranteed to have the high level of repeatability that our valve does. Also, the bores on our valve have been burnished, which means they are smooth as glass. This nearly eliminates friction which means longer life, less wear, and of course, repeatability. If reliability and repeatability are important to you and your investment I don't have to continue, but i will.

Our valve also utilizes seals that the Kip, Humphrey, Ingersol Rand and AC Delco valves do not. When O-rings are manufactured the process leaves flash on the tangent edges of the sealing edge. This leaves an imperfection on the most important sealing surface of the o-ring, which can attribute to leaks. Our valve uses seals that are manufactured differently which moves the flash to a portion of the seal that does not contact and sealing surfaces. Even the best valve isn't worth much if it has a potential for a leak.

If none of this impresses you so far, how about this: Our valve is balanced. None of the other valves can say the same. It's a lot more important than you think too.

Again, the main advantage here is repeatability. Simply stated, a balanced valve means that the inlet pressure difference at the valve has NO effect on the force required to drive the valve. No matter how small or large your boost target is, the driving force remains the same. The result is consistency no matter your power goals. The Kip, Humphrey, Ingersol Rand and AC Delco valves will have SLOWER response time as boost pressure increases because they lack the same balance. There is no reason to have to live with that kind of compromise, especially as the stakes get higher at increased power levels.

There is a reason why so many individuals as well as tuners stand behind our valve. Actually, there are lots of reasons...

-Your friendly engineers over at GrimmSpeed

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; Jan 31, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:45 PM

ill def be getting a grimmspeed soon!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:17 AM

Humphrey uses a balanced poppet aswell.
The first available EBCS was the perrin.
That is a humphrey valve and people were as happy with it.
I know your valve is a custom one but that does not mean that the standard mac35 valve isnt good enough.
people are using it and are
very happy with it.
The GS speed valve is good for people with more money than skill because it is plug and play.
No offence to your product, i wish you best of luck.
But by the end of the day it is just a 3 port balanced poppet direct acting solenoid product.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

GS what's the benefit of your 3 port over the op's avcr? I have a avcr now but I wouldn't miss it if I got rid of it.

Quick Reply: Which 3 Port Boost Solenoid