Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Entering negative values in Igntion Warmup Retard table?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entering negative values in Igntion Warmup Retard table?

So, the current theory for fixing cold start issues (particularly on E85) is to negate the timing that is pulled based on coolant temp. This can be done in one of two ways:
1- Lower or zero out values in the Percent Low Temp Timing Trim vs Coolant Temp table
2- Lower or zero out values in the Ignition Warmup Retard table

Both of these (theoretically) result in no (or less) timing being retarded due to coolant temp.

I am currently using option #1 with some success, however my car still struggles for the first 100 yards of driving (particularly under 3000 RPM), and I feel this is only going to get worse as the full force of the mighty Chicago winter bears down on me over the next several months.

Thusly, I would like to propose a third solution:
3- Put negative values in the Ignition Warmup Retard table

If retarding 0*timing yields better results than retarding 5*, then surely retarding -3* (effectively adding 3*) would be even better yet? The "Timing" scaling type has a valid value range of -61 to 61 (I actually think this should be a larger range but thats for another discussion...).

So, assuming that Timing is indeed a signed integer, can anyone foresee an issue with utilizing a negative retard to add timing? Is anyone already doing this?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing is an 8 bit integer. -128 to 127 are your choices, though the scalings are set up for -61 to 61.

I'm not sure if the ECU will have a built in floor or ceiling for this table.
i.e 0 for a floor.