Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

new X owner from Cyprus, need guidance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new X owner from Cyprus, need guidance

we don't have widely used and respected tuning companies here like you do in the States, so i'm trying to see what's the best mods/tuning i can do through the dealership. they said they will take care of simple things like air filter, CAI and exhaust changes. lowering as well.

but i need to know exactly what i want, before going in.

i use my X as a daily driver (i've had it for less than 5 weeks and already did close to 2000 miles in it), so i don't want it to get too noisy. it'd be good to see a noticeable improvement in terms of performance though. it's a '09 GSR, not a '08, but i think the stock tuning is the same

i've read a lot of threads in here and have some ideas, but i'm just curious as to what you guys would do if you had to rely on the dealership for mods. money could be an issue, but i think i can get them down to non-dealership prices (or close)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a specific power goal in mind?

Also, it is worth mentioning that you can probably install most bolt-ons easily by yourself (save $$).

Furthermore, several of the American tuning shops do "e-mail tunes" where they give you a file, and you in return send them data logs, and they tweak it from there. To do this, you'll need to spend $200 USD on a Tactrix cable... but it is worth it!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by derekste
Do you have a specific power goal in mind?
not that much really (around 40whp), i just want better air flow to the engine and an effective (but relatively quiet) exhaust

Also, it is worth mentioning that you can probably install most bolt-ons easily by yourself (save $$).
1. i could give it a try, but it'd be a risk
2. it'd likely cause me warranty problems, even though i know that technically they can't do that for simple bolt-ons

Furthermore, several of the American tuning shops do "e-mail tunes" where they give you a file, and you in return send them data logs, and they tweak it from there. To do this, you'll need to spend $200 USD on a Tactrix cable... but it is worth it!
seriously?! didn't know that! i'll look into this after the bolt-ons then (and if i'm prepared to void the warranty, i guess), thanks

so, any specific suggestions for filter, CAI and dual exhaust (for the time being)?

still debating whether i should lower it before a few more of my town's roads are fixed (it'll take at least 12-18 more months, according to the authorities)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd recommend *not* going to the dealer for simple bolt-ons... but if you feel completely incapable of working on your car, there's probably a local shop that will charge less to turn 5 bolts and 4 screws.

Get an intake, upper intercooler pipe, and a flash (or AP).... that should take care of your power. If you drive quite a bit and are looking for comfort I'd recommend against changing the suspension.... the X is pretty comfortable while maintaining good handling from the factory.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:13 PM

they specifically told me NOT to take it to an outsider for bolt-ons

maybe they don't have the right to do that, but they're the ONLY Mitsu dealers on the island and i don't wanna have to fight them over the warranty being voided or something. i mean they're gonna notice the mods once i take it in for its first service

so i should stick with the oem exhaust then? and keep the oem air filter?

thanks for the help
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:31 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by marios23
they specifically told me NOT to take it to an outsider for bolt-ons

maybe they don't have the right to do that, but they're the ONLY Mitsu dealers on the island and i don't wanna have to fight them over the warranty being voided or something. i mean they're gonna notice the mods once i take it in for its first service

so i should stick with the oem exhaust then? and keep the oem air filter?

thanks for the help
I read this as:
Originally Posted by marios23
they specifically told me if someone else does this trivial work for a reasonable price they'll try to screw me
You can weigh the cost of them doing it and trying to screw you and fighting if you have an issue... or you can overpay them to do a simple job. Personally, I don't like to give in to those type of ultimatums.... in the same respect, I feel capable enough to do nearly any work my car needed done. That said, I don't see any reason to take it to them for service unless it is free. Most of the maintenance on your car, especially at stock power levels, is relatively easy.

So far my only problems have been with my interior, so none of my modifications really have a bearing on that. I wouldn't pay the dealership to do any other work, and don't expect any warranty related mechanical problems after a few thousand miles... so take that as you will. They have to prove a modification caused the failure, but you might still have a thorn in your side if they want to be real jerks about it.

I can see them saying "yeah, we installed it... but we're still voiding your warranty because of it". I'd make sure to get whatever agreement in writing if you do go through them.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:40 PM

i do intend to get it in writing

i wish i was competent enough to do my own mods and service, but i'm not