Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Custom Tune on fully stock MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Tune on fully stock MR

I would like to apologize ahead of time if this question has been asked before or if it seems dumb... just joined the forums a few minutes ago. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 2011 MR for a DD... I don't plan to track or race or anything like that. I just want a comfortable, fun car to drive that has a little kick to it. Anyhow my question is, does it make sense to do a custom dyno on a completely stock MR to get better mpg and slightly better performance? (mainly the mpg) or will it hurt the performance by doing so? I don't plan to mod too much as I don't want it any louder than stock. Has anyone done this? if so, anybody know a good place in LA area? Thanks all
Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, a tune will help and as long as it's a good one will have no negative side effects. I'd go to one of two guys out there, either Jon Drenas @ SoCal Cobb or Razorlab (who unfortunately no longer dyno tunes).

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 5, 2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

A tune makes sense if you are not planning on modifying the car. If you are going to mod, tune afterwards.

Keep in mind that a tune can be used as reason to void your warranty. Id suggest going with Cobb and buying their AP product so you can restore the factory code if you need to take it to the dealership.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 08:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
A tune makes sense if you are not planning on modifying the car. If you are going to mod, tune afterwards.

Keep in mind that a tune can be used as reason to void your warranty. Id suggest going with Cobb and buying their AP product so you can restore the factory code if you need to take it to the dealership.
To clarify here: If you can get back to the tuner or have a flashing cable you can return your tune to stock with *any* of the flashing methods.... this is not a cobb only thing.

Doing an intake, UICP (hot pipe), and possibly O2 housing / high flow cat will not really increase the volume but will give you a few extra HP. I'd consider these and maybe even a 3 port boost control solenoid before getting flashed, but obviously that is up to you.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fostytou
Doing an intake, UICP (hot pipe), and possibly O2 housing / high flow cat will not really increase the volume but will give you a few extra HP. I'd consider these and maybe even a 3 port boost control solenoid before getting flashed, but obviously that is up to you.
This is a nice list for someone wanting to keep a basic/quiet setup, add in a drop-in panel air filter along with a turbo inlet pipe and you're set. (make sure to do an o2 eliminator downpipe, not just an o2 housing)
Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pffft, how many times have I myself or hear someone they're not gonna mod their car...ha, wrong car to buy
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
To clarify here: If you can get back to the tuner or have a flashing cable you can return your tune to stock with *any* of the flashing methods.... this is not a cobb only thing.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasnt trying to imply Cobb was the only solution that could revert to stock but I can see how it sounded that way.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:37 PM

Hey thanks for the advice everyone. As for saying it's the wrong car to buy if I'm not gonna mod, I see your point. I mean, I'd love to do it up, but at the end of the day I have a wife, a 3 month old baby boy, and two businesses I run... priorities are bit different for me these days. However, that doesn't mean I can't have just a little fun with my ride. I only plan on keeping it for a few years then get what I really want once business starts to really take off. By nature, I'm more of a luxury car guy but it's a little out of my reach at the moment. Anyhow I'll definitely check out Cobb, thanks again all.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just a good tune can really wake these cars up... an otherwise stock Evo X can be brought from the ~310-320 factory HP levels to 400 without too much problem, maybe slightly less on the MR model. Seems that the old 291 crank HP rating is a bit underrated on the 2011 models.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:36 PM

Hey thanks for all the input boys... Ok so as some of you may know, my final choice was a loaded GSR...had to go with manual despite the LA traffic. Anyhow here are my questions:

1. for those of you who went with aftermarket dp and/or highflow cat/test pipe but maintained stock cat back, how do you feel it changed the sound/ performance and were you happy w the results? and what brand/setup did you go with?

2. So for a basic/quiet set up that might get me noticeable gains from my understanding from you guys a good option would be UICP, dp, high flow cat, o2 housing, intake, and custom tune and I should be set?

3. btw what is a 02 eliminator dp? who makes one?
4. what is a 3 port boost control solenoid? do i really need that?

My attempt is to get some good gains while keeping a stock look to my car, I live in LA and cops are haters on imports apparently so I wanna avoid fix it's as much as possible.
Any other evo x guys with mods in the hollywood area? I'd like to meet with a few of you if possible. Also any suggestions on where to get it tuned once I get all the mods done?

Sorry so many questions, thanks guys!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Horus
Also any suggestions on where to get it tuned once I get all the mods done?

Sorry so many questions, thanks guys!
Cobb Tuning Socal
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Road Race Engineering
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:04 PM

If you want to go stealth don't go the O2 elim Downpipe lol...One guy from the other forum did a turbo back exhaust and added like 2 resonators before the catback...It's proven that resonators rob power though ..but from what I understand you're not into "big" power so resonators won't hurt or just get a tune and keep it stock lol(bolt on wise)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by black rat
If you want to go stealth don't go the O2 elim Downpipe lol...One guy from the other forum did a turbo back exhaust and added like 2 resonators before the catback...It's proven that resonators rob power though ..but from what I understand you're not into "big" power so resonators won't hurt or just get a tune and keep it stock lol(bolt on wise)
Ok, you kinda said why you *should* do a catback with more resonators... but you never said why you shouldn't do the O2 elim Downpipe.... so what gives?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by black rat
I don't necessarily need it to be def stealth, but not obnoxiously loud. And as for big power... I want to do bolt ons and tune only... probably not exceeding 400 power range... no replacing injectors or engine building or anything like that... the only thing I see replacing in the future would maybe be the IC. So I second that o2 sensor question...

Quick Reply: Custom Tune on fully stock MR