Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Black Fuel Pump Relay - Dead One Cut Open - Pics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to do this asap, i just checked and I still have the crappy black one. I wonder if i call the dealership they can give me the blue one for free?? I doubt it but it cant hurt to try.

Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:09 AM

I will be going to the dealer today as well. Amazing that Mitsu still has "acknowledged" this to the extent of just switching them all to blue/green from the factory. (Well I guess not that amazing, since we're all still coughing up the money for the blue/green ones from their parts department) Has anyone checked on a 2012 yet to see if they're still black?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

i just went to the dealer yesterday and picked up a blue one. it was ~$16. the green was $36....
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:18 PM

I went to the dealer here in Canada, I asked him for the relay, gave him the part # and all. His response to me was " Mitsubishi know of the issue and they fixed it with all the 2011 models and up, the black one is a redesigned one"
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:51 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If that were the case, there should be a new part number for the new black one. Has it changed?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Great research, I will check my 2012 and report back. If it has a black relay, I will order a blue one and swap it. Once I swap it, I will open the stock relay so we can all see it.

Thanks, Mike!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
If that were the case, there should be a new part number for the new black one. Has it changed?
No it is the same #, I picked up. Blue one anyways, waiting for my tuner to get back to test again. Will post up some dyno plots to show and open up the relay.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:47 PM

I was having problems with boost fluctuating, jerking/bucking around 5k rpm, lost power. So after process of elimination, this change was next and voila! problem fixed... my black one even failed the salt shaker test.

... did I say I love the interweb?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

My 2012 still has the black relay. Waiting on a blue one to get in to do the swap.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:32 PM

Also, extremely easy to check both the Green and Blue ones since they are not sealed. Just inspected my Blue fuel relay, and no signs of pitting. In addition, you can check to see if you have power through the relay by inserting it into your High Beam relay slot and let it hold power for about 1-2minutes then do some switch on/off.

MvP
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub'd, I've been having issues with bucking // stuttering while boosting, will try relay swap and report back.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
I just got the new black one along with 3 blue ones to completely swap mine out since I've had some random idle spikes up to 16 lately. I currently have all new relays (blue) and a green fpr. They're about 6 mo. old. The part # for the new black one is MR122409 and I just got it today. Apparently there's different batches, some are made in Italy and I hear those are the 'new' ones. But mine was made in the U S of A and they're both Omron.. I'll keep you guys updated this relay situation is craziness right now.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:37 PM

I just checked and I still have a black relay...and it's rattling! I always just assumed one of the previous owners (2) would have changed it since each one had it tuned at a different shop. Glad I checked. Gonna order one right now. I switched it out with another black relay (for the horn) until I can get a blue/green one.

Originally Posted by murlo26
They might if you make a stink about it. It is like $40 bucks to replace them all and like 5 mins to pop the hood locate the right ones and replace. It's pretty straight forward lol.
which other relays need to be changed?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i just changed my relay's today , make sure i can sleep good. This weekend i will go to the track so i am interested will i feel anything different? Regardless it is a nice thing to change them for a piece of mind. I had a green relays though before, i did change the black ones when i got a new engine installed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverJesterGSX
I just checked and I still have a black relay...and it's rattling! I always just assumed one of the previous owners (2) would have changed it since each one had it tuned at a different shop. Glad I checked. Gonna order one right now. I switched it out with another black relay (for the horn) until I can get a blue/green one.

which other relays need to be changed?
Lol, the latest ones are back to black! Green/blues are considered the old ones! There's a new part #

Quick Reply: Black Fuel Pump Relay - Dead One Cut Open - Pics