Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Timing Chain Learned Value

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Learned Value

Along with some other questions about the timing chain, I asked this in the Engine section but nobody answered so I am hoping that somebody in the tuning section will answer.

Can the timing chain learned value be reset by an ecu reset with the Cobb AccessPort or in any other way without having to go to the dealership? I posted this in the Cobb forums and they said no, but in the video from Mitsubishi they claim that any reset of the "learned values" will reset the timing chain value. I also saw a howto post for changing they timing chain and they claimed that just pulling a specific fuse will reset this value, but some people claimed that it didn't work for them.

If resetting the learned values (by flashing with the AccessPort or by any other means) does reset the timing chain value, does that mean that the warning indicator can no longer be relied upon if it has ever been reset?
Old May 13, 2012, 01:56 PM

I have wondered this exact thing on many occasions, but I have no idea. It seems to me it would be stupid for Mitsu to architect the ECU in such a way that flashing it resets this extremely critical value. Cars often have ECU patches / flashes done by the dealership. As such, I sincerely hope flashing the ECU doesn't do this.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:53 AM

If your vehicle is logging a timing chain stretch code, the dealership should be doing the correct checks. i.e. there is a procedure in the workshop manual which outlines a physical stretch limit for the chain in mm. This requires them to set the motor to TDC and check for movement in the chain, and if its within spec, they will carry out the learned value reset, which only resets the value (no flashing etc)
If its not within spec, they will replace the chain and go from there
This is what should be happening, if not, time to find a new dealer
Old May 16, 2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by evvox
If your vehicle is logging a timing chain stretch code, the dealership should be doing the correct checks. i.e. there is a procedure in the workshop manual which outlines a physical stretch limit for the chain in mm. This requires them to set the motor to TDC and check for movement in the chain, and if its within spec, they will carry out the learned value reset, which only resets the value (no flashing etc)
If its not within spec, they will replace the chain and go from there
This is what should be happening, if not, time to find a new dealer
I do not have the indicator warning and do not have any problems, but I was thinking about changing the chain to the new one before I do have any issues. I am trying to find out if that value can be reset without having to go to the dealership and if it is allegedly as easy as clearing the learned values, does that mean the indicator is useless if they have already been reset.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by HappyMint
I have wondered this exact thing on many occasions, but I have no idea. It seems to me it would be stupid for Mitsu to architect the ECU in such a way that flashing it resets this extremely critical value. Cars often have ECU patches / flashes done by the dealership. As such, I sincerely hope flashing the ECU doesn't do this.
I posted the question on the Cobb forums and they responded saying that it is not reset by flashing or doing an ecu reset, although this seems to go against what was previously posted by people claiming that just pulling the fuse to reset the ecu will get rid of the warning.
Old May 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you pay tephra for his ACD pump bleeder program it also does chain stretch. You could check the stretch, try a flash / reset / fuse pull and then check it again.