Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Speed density tune for EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed density tune for EVO X

I notice lots of 8 & 9s running SD on stock ECU. Is this possible on a X? I imagine converting a X would be no different than a 8 or 9. Anybody running SD?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Every single X ever manufactured is running Speed Density.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

??? Really???
I'm pretty sure I got a MAF sensor somewhere in front of the turbo. You're X did not come factory with MAF?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ what golden said

Evo x runs off of MAF and MAP.

Ecu engine parameters runs off of MAF calculations and MAP calculations... otherwise commonly known as speed density.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, if you blow an intercooler pipe off the car still runs. It's more of a hybrid system, you still need both to run correctly.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Moore Auto
Yep, if you blow an intercooler pipe off the car still runs. It's more of a hybrid system, you still need both to run correctly.
Nope...you can run only MAF or only MAP seperately, or both together...all depends on how the car is tuned. With that said, yes, you still need both functioning properly and on the car... e.g. you can't just get rid of the MAF sensor if running MAP only.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Dec 3, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going with what Scott said here.

U can run either/or, but needs to have both to run efficiently. The X comes with a factory 3-bar map sensor. Aftermarket SD r 5-bar map sensors. U can run MAF on low rpm and switch to MAP on higher rpm. The crossover is smooth as long as the tune is smooth.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Using the MAF sensor for all vacuum through 4-8 psi and using the MAP for the rest of a pull is becoming more and more common with tuners.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rrkpitt15
Using the MAF sensor for all vacuum through 4-8 psi and using the MAP for the rest of a pull is becoming more and more common with tuners.
Sounds interesting. Do they adjust the 3x MAF tables or is there another way to adjust the cross over elegantly?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
It's possible to run purely SD, in fact I am working on it with a car right now
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It's possible to run purely SD, in fact I am working on it with a car right now
Hey, u guys coming back to Vegas anytime soon?

As for purely running SD, do u have to change the map sensor? I believe the evo x map sensor is only 3-bar, or was it 4-bar?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
Sounds interesting. Do they adjust the 3x MAF tables or is there another way to adjust the cross over elegantly?
I am not tuner and can be completely wrong, but i think you can adjust the 3 MAF tables to 0 in the area that you want the MAP sensor to be used. If you want to tune the MAP tables, you adjust the MAF tables to 0 in the areas you wanna tune. Since air flow (volts) is related to load. Then when you are done tuning, take the MAF tables back to what they were.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10600207
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I am not tuner and can be completely wrong, but i think you can adjust the 3 MAF tables to 0 in the area that you want the MAP sensor to be used. If you want to tune the MAP tables, you adjust the MAF tables to 0 in the areas you wanna tune. Since air flow (volts) is related to load. Then when you are done tuning, take the MAF tables back to what they were.
Anyone able to confirm this? I'd love to run mine just off the MAP and avoid the MAF and scaling stuff.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Panda_stunter
As for purely running SD, do u have to change the map sensor? I believe the evo x map sensor is only 3-bar, or was it 4-bar?
No need to change the MAP...the stock is a 3 BAR MAP which, technically means it'll read 29psi, but in reality ours will read up to ~33psi boost.

The ECU chooses the lowest calculation between MAP/MAF to determine Load, so if you want to run MAP only, you need to max out the MAF table. Setting the MAF table to zero won't allow the engine to run, since it'll be choosing zero as the Load.

Quick Reply: Speed density tune for EVO X