Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiDDstann
Hey AMS! If I had the parts included in the STX400 package except for the TBE portion, would the STX300 tune be fine? Namely, would the STX300 tune be enough for let's say just an AMS SRI because on the site, it says that the SRI requires a tune to safely run it. Thanks!
I'm not a tuner but I will not use it.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Hey AMS-
Did you guys incorporate Cobbs version of the knock light into the STX300 tune?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by packrat
Hey AMS-
Did you guys incorporate Cobbs version of the knock light into the STX300 tune?
Yes, that is in the flash as well
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:26 PM

I have a '11 MR - stock except for AMS cat back exhaust. I recently got the 300 stx tune and am very pleased. Car runs flawlessly and is definately smoother and quicker. I highly recommend AMS they know their stuff .
Old Oct 14, 2013, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a vd of the stx300 tune on a 12' gsr. Flat road. Full tank of gas. 58degrees F. Didn't seem to hit boost target of around 25psi. Max boost 23.3.
Attached Thumbnails How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?-stx300-vd.jpg  
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the STX300 tune is supposed to hit 379 HP?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Do a boost leak test and get it on a real dyno.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

I personally don't care. It runs well. Better than stock. There are no boost leaks. A vd is all I can provide using a completely stock 2012 GSR w/ 3k on the clock unless I want to drive 2 hours. Which I do not. I'm very surprised AMS has yet to provide a real dyno sheet as opposed to the engine dyno plot they have on their website.

Originally Posted by Kracka
Do a boost leak test and get it on a real dyno.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:59 AM

Bump.

Andrew@AMS, no stocks come in yet?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

can they custom tune sxt300 according to my setup?
their hp and tq shown on the picture might be a good number for stock evo, but with full bolt ons this number might be a little low.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

The stx300 is for a 100% stock car only.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:48 PM

looking into this...im waiting to see some dyne sheets.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
The only graph that I can provide currently is the engine horsepower graph that we have available on our website here:

The next car that comes in for this package that is stock, we will do dyno pulls before this package is installed to show you the comparison. On our dyno jet we have seen the stock Evo X 5-speed put down 230whp for reference.
They conveniently only have the Engine HP graph on their website because anyone looking to do this tune as a one stop shop for more power most likely doesn't know the difference between bHP and wHP and Torque. AMS should show an actual dyno graph and not the figurative numbers that Mitsu says the Evo X is rated or what AMS claims to make over stock.

Originally Posted by packrat
Here is a vd of the stx300 tune on a 12' gsr. Flat road. Full tank of gas. 58degrees F. Didn't seem to hit boost target of around 25psi. Max boost 23.3.
This is the type of power that the Stx300 makes. My '13 MR dyno'd stock @ 240wHP/ 270wTQ on a dynojet. 283/296 is still an improvement over stock dyno numbers, but no where close to the 379/383 numbers that AMS has on their "Engine Tuning" graph. Even if you take that 379 "Engine Power" and take away 20% to account for power loss through the tranny, you get 75.8(Driver train loss). 379(bHP)-75.8(DTL)=303.2wHP is what you should stand to make This package for $925 gets you a Cobb AP v3 and a custom calibrated tune (by AMS). The Cobb AP v3 costs $500 from Cobb's website that leaves the tune to be $425. A reasonable amount for a tune, the question is how reliable is it.

I assume that AMS has perfected this tune for stock Evo X's. This tune is meant to be done to a stock car, so having any aftermarket parts may corrupt their flash. Now, we know that all Evo X's are not created equal, from the get, right out the factory, two brand new same year makes put down different numbers. Having a tuner manually take the time to match their map to your car's unique ECU imo is better than a one and done flash from AMS.

That being said, AMS is a great company and I would go to Chicago to be tuned by them in person, but the Stx300 is far from an E-Tune, you don't have someone like Baka sending you revisions of maps and taking the time to fine tune and tweak it to fit your car.

Last edited by Masheen; Feb 6, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We still have not had a stock Evo X come in for this tune to where I would be able to post up before and after dyno chart. This is mostly a flash that we sell to customers that are not local to us. The same goes for the STX400 as package and flash as well. These packages were put together for customers who don't have access to a local tuner or to a dyno. They were designed to be plug n play packages with no issues or worries about tuning.

When a Evo X customer comes in for a tune, they usually want to go with a custom flash on the dyno. Then usually they add a few parts such as a Grimmspeed boost control solenoid or other bolt on parts to get the most out of the tune while it is on the dyno.

The STX300 tune has proved to be very reliable for customers and we are always here to answer questions or make changes if needed.

Last edited by Andrew@AMS; Feb 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
We still have not had a stock Evo X come in for this tune to where I would be able to post up before and after dyno chart. This is mostly a flash that we sell to customers that are not local to us. The same goes for the STX400 as package and flash as well. These packages were put together for customers who don't have access to a local tuner or to a dyno. They were designed to be plug n play packages with no issues or worries about tuning.

When a Evo X customer comes in for a tune, they usually want to go with a custom flash on the dyno. Then usually they add a few parts such as a Grimmspeed boost control solenoid or other bolt on parts to get the most out of the tune while it is on the dyno.

The STX300 tune has proved to be very reliable for customers and we are always here to answer questions or make changes if needed.
Visiting your shop and have a tune there is definitely a good idea. It gives you that peace in mind that you can sleep like a baby at night.

Quick Reply: How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?