Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?

Thinking about getting the canned AMS STX300 stage 1 tune for my stock evo x.
Im leaning this route because i am HOPING they really dialed in the partial throttle and partial load tables on this VS me getting a half-assed "pro" tune that a tuner is only willing to spend a couple hours on (main reason so many people blowing blocks imo)

Anybody use this or know how good the AMS tune is?
Old May 6, 2013, 08:32 PM

I'm also interested in any feedback on the STX300 map since having a '13 GSR I have read very mixed opinions of the Cobb beta OTS maps.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

I would like to hear a little info about this as well with such questions like target boost, target afr and what makes this better for my 2012 GSR than an ots map being answered by AMS........
Old May 8, 2013, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Or get an Etune from someone like me
Old May 8, 2013, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Been there......done that....... Back on topic- would love to hear from AMS on the particuliars of this tune.

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
Or get an Etune from someone like me

Last edited by packrat; May 8, 2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of comments are you looking for? I can venture a guess that all vendors selling off the shelf maps follow the same basic approach. For practical reasons that mean they get 2 to 5 cars and develop a generic tune that is neither too conservative nor too aggressive. Because when they push that OTS tune out to the national stage it might just get loaded onto a car with an engine that was built on a Friday afternoon by a line assembler with this mind on the weekend. One tank of bad gas and boom! and with it goes the reputation of that vendor at the speed of the interwebs. So really, I doubt you will see much difference between AMS and COBB OTS maps.

Last edited by lowkey; May 8, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
What kind of comments are you looking for? I can venture a guess that all vendors selling off the shelf maps follow the same basic approach. For practical reasons that mean they get 2 to 5 cars and develop a generic tune that is neither too conservative nor too aggressive. Because when they push that OTS tune out to the national stage it might just get loaded onto a car with an engine that was built on a Friday afternoon by a line assembler with this mind on the weekend. One tank of bad gas and boom! and with it goes the reputation of that vendor at the speed of the interwebs. So really, I doubt you will see much difference between AMS and COBB OTS maps.

^ this....Unless you get a tune specific for your car. Ordering a tune that a company sells as a kit is a hit or miss. AMS is a pretty well known company so im sure itll be pretty safe. Cobb is pretty good but again there those that may have problems with OTS maps which the STX300 tune is.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking for things like target boost...target afr...... what makes this $400 flash better than a Cobb OTS map for my stock 2012 GSR?
Old May 8, 2013, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

if you have nothing productive to say or feel threatened by our interest in this, keep it to yourself.

i want to know how aggressive this tune is and how safe it is to run at different altitudes, different loads, how it handles the occasional bad tank of gas, etc.

im tempted to hook up a wideband and boost gauge, log my stock car for a few weeks and then get this package and log it to see if im getting knock from it.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
if you have nothing productive to say or feel threatened by our interest in this, keep it to yourself.

i want to know how aggressive this tune is and how safe it is to run at different altitudes, different loads, how it handles the occasional bad tank of gas, etc.

im tempted to hook up a wideband and boost gauge, log my stock car for a few weeks and then get this package and log it to see if im getting knock from it.
Productive comments are a matter of opinion...Productive to some may not be to others. The STX tunes or packages are fairly new so there probably not many people that have tried them, but its AMS. Also Half *** "pro" tunes. Wow have you even got one...probably you have and now are giving every pro tuner a discredit cause you had a bad experience off one tuner. If you dont like how the pro tuner is tuning learn to DIY.

Even if every single person on this forum said of yeah its great its still possible for you to blow your motor or cause damage.

Last edited by EXcel4600c; May 8, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by packrat
Been there......done that....... Back on topic- would love to hear from AMS on the particuliars of this tune.
Hey Guys,

Here is a response from Chris who creates these tunes here at AMS:

The OTS maps are meant to be overly conservative and very safe. The Beta maps traditionally are too aggressive from what I have seen. Our custom maps are somewhere in-between but still safe. We can also review the datalogs from the car if there is a concern and adjust as necessary (not full custom tuning however). The target boost in our map is 25psi. The MR SST cars get special settings for the transmission not included in OTS maps. We also include better Mivec usage and closer to target AFRs than the OTS maps.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info guys. Any chance you could post a dyno sheet from your chassis dyno comparing the stock tune vs. the stx300?
Old May 23, 2013, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Hey AMS- Any chassis dyno stock vs. STX300 graphs??
Old May 23, 2013, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

The only graph that I can provide currently is the engine horsepower graph that we have available on our website here:

The next car that comes in for this package that is stock, we will do dyno pulls before this package is installed to show you the comparison. On our dyno jet we have seen the stock Evo X 5-speed put down 230whp for reference.

Last edited by Andrew@AMS; May 23, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 23, 2013, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Andrew@AMS
The only graph that I can provide currently is the engine horsepower graph that we have available on our website here:

The next car that comes in for this package that is stock, we will do dyno pulls before this package is installed to show you the comparison. On our dyno jet we have seen the stock Evo X 5-speed put down 230whp for reference.

If I were closer, Id do it this weekend. Might still do it here in Orlando through PRS. They have a mustang dyno.

Quick Reply: How safe is the AMS STX300 tune?