Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cobb Stage 3 impressions requested

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb Stage 3 impressions requested

Any folks out there who've done just the Cobb Stage 3 package? Dyno results or butt dyno impressions? Would you do it again or spend the money differently? Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 08:37 PM

Get a protune it's a lot better than cob ots map

Originally Posted by toolapcfan
Any folks out there who've done just the Cobb Stage 3 package? Dyno results or butt dyno impressions? Would you do it again or spend the money differently? Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Never ran the Stage 3 package but did run Stage 2 for a while. The OTS maps were okay at best. Got some knock in the upper RPMs (think due to wrong fuel trim) but nothing crazy, 2-3 knocks at most. Once I got a test pipe and an EBC, I didn't want to risk running a OTS map so got it tuned on the AP by an actual tuner.

People say not to bother with Cobb APs and just get an OpenSource tune but I like my AP. There is a valet mode (which I used a few times dropping it off at the shop/dealership) which won't let you rev past 3K RPM and also used the anti-theft mode (won't let you start the car). It allows you to log on the fly without a laptop and also lets you change maps quickly for trips to the dealership for warranty work or for various maps for low boost and whatnot.

I don't know if the Cobb AP is worth the 500 dollars they ask for MSRP but you can find plenty around at used prices for 200-300 dollars depending on condition.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 06:03 PM

I had my car on a Cobb OTS Stage 3 map for a few months. It pulled nicely but custom tune using open source really is the way to go. The OTS maps are extremely conservative.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running the stage 3 map for a couple months now (since installing the EBCS) and I'm happy with the way it feels. I'm actually getting better gas mileage driving conservatively (under 3k rpm) around the city, to and from work, the gym, etc. Top end pulls nicely and I love the occasional backfire after getting on it. It's not nearly as rich as the stage 1 and 2 tunes.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbotastic
I had my car on a Cobb OTS Stage 3 map for a few months. It pulled nicely but custom tune using open source really is the way to go. The OTS maps are extremely conservative.
I ran the Cobb Stage 3 on E85 and it was decent. But.....got rid of it and have just installed bigger turbo with some ETS parts and a custom tune on E85 and this Evo pulls like an enraged bull with somebody pulling on his nuts. Very happy.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Haven't ran stage 3 yet. I'm still on stage 2 with test pipe, exhaust, apexi intake,UICP, BOV still on stock downpipe.

Since after researching the minimal difference between the stock and aftermarket DP i may just keep the DP stock.

got a ECBS on the way and i'll run stage 3. Just need to tune it for my cone intake instead of the filter. Running stage 2 CFF and i think its running a little slower since i have cone filter and its designed for panel filter.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

I ran it for awhile on my car and thought it was pretty decent. It's not a perfect tune by any means but definitely will make use of your bolt-ons. The other nice thing about the Cobb AP is all the monitoring, 1/4 mile and 0-60 sim, etc.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:37 AM

I just got an AP V3.

Is there a point where this device becomes useless?

Like say I go and get a custom tune done, will they use my AP?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 01:39 PM

If you already have the AP keep it, it's good to clear codes and if you don't have any gauges you can monitor your engine, but definitely get an open source tune big difference.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 06:36 PM

The AP and OS tools are just tools. The key is to find the right calibrator. That person will be able to use either system. Your tuner can then make a recommendation as to which system suits your build the best.

Good luck!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LOLUMAD
I just got an AP V3.

Is there a point where this device becomes useless?

Like say I go and get a custom tune done, will they use my AP?
Yes, custom map will be loaded on to the AP and used to flash the ECU.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 04:42 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DSG Performance
I ran it for awhile on my car and thought it was pretty decent. It's not a perfect tune by any means but definitely will make use of your bolt-ons. The other nice thing about the Cobb AP is all the monitoring, 1/4 mile and 0-60 sim, etc.

Cheers,
Jason
+1

It's nice at first, but after a while you want more... you know how it is
Old Mar 29, 2017, 05:56 AM

Just installed my Cobb EBCS and reflashed my 2015 Evo GSR to stage 3 91oct for CA yesterday. I'm running the stock downpile however don't know how much of a difference it makes. I was told Aftermarket downpilenisnt really worth it with stock turbo, but that's debatable.
Anyway my car is running great so far. It's not overboosting as it warns that is possible on the Cobb Tuning page.
I didn't do too many pulls but it hit 22psi consistently in 3rd and feels well. But I'm going to drive conservatively until I can afford a protune here in a couple months just to make sure I don't do any damage to car.

It's weird every car is different some respond well to certain things as other cars that are exactly the same don't.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I've ran Stage 1-3 and they were okay. There wasn't much of a difference between 2 and 3 in my opinion and I was getting some knock at the upper end. I had parts from difference companies instead of Cobbs overpriced bundle so that was the cause. Also, those maps are still pretty conservative. If you want the best performance, I'd ditch Cobb and get a pro-tune. they don't even have ATR for you to download anymore. For one it'll be specifically tailored to your car. But you'll also have true numbers if you get it Dyno tuned.

Quick Reply: Cobb Stage 3 impressions requested