Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Mivec map advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mivec map advice

Hello!

I've been doing some research on mivec tuning practices and made some maps for you all to critique. I'm running an Fp green, stock cams with bolt ons and on my old maps I was reaching 23psi@4000rpm. Last tuner had only tuned the intake map with very high advance into upper rpm and left the exhaust map stock. I believe there are some gains in spool up to be had!

Let me know if anything looks out of place or if certain areas could be improved. I also would like to know from a professionals standpoint and with the new maps utilized, would you pull a degree or two of timing, richen maps, and lower boost until you see how it looks after a few datalogs?

Thanks in advance!
DJ
Old Mar 9, 2016, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you surge with that mapping. That is a crap ton of exhaust cam retard.

Check this post and this thread I created about seven years ago (!):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7411191

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 9, 2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response! What would you recommend at most for retard during spool -15 or -20? Seems like getting rid of the retard in the high load sections would be a good idea too. Too much overlap as boost is building? Forgive my inexperience it's alot to wrap my head around.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 04:26 PM

Nevermind!

Last edited by Burnhad91; Mar 15, 2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 09:13 PM

As you've already realized, that's a TON of overlap. You're going to see quite a lot of blow-through in areas that you're regularly hitting during normal driving. This means less power and worse fuel economy. Turbocharged engines -like ours- operate more effectively with far less overlap when compared to naturally aspirated engines.

I've been playing around a lot lately with my own MIVEC settings and put together a little Excel table to approximate the overlap. If you're tuning your own vehicle I recommend you do the same. This forum is all about collaboration, passion, and, of course, POWER...so, I'd be more than happy to share my stupid little excel sheet with you, if you'd like. Anyways, if you haven't already, reference the maps that razorlab posted a while back -in addition to Merlin's tuning guide- and use those as baselines for your own tune.

Although those maps probably won't be perfect, they're pretty good for most setups. If you want to perfect your tune, prepare for lots driving, logging, analyzing, and trial/error cycles.
Old May 31, 2016, 07:49 PM

Bump!

I had used those posted GST maps and they have worked great for me. But I keep finding examples of people spooling a FP green 20psi+ before 3000rpm. Now I know some people will say that MIVEC shouldn't be solely for increasing spool up time but I am a little jealous even with what I consider mildly aggressive maps my FP green doesn't hit 22psi until like 4200 rpm.

These are the maps I'm using right now based on what other people are doing.

Any advice concerning this or am I wrong to chase others spool characteristics?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you potentially have any pre-turbo exhaust leaks? What gear you are in to test the spool makes a difference, I like the 4th gear to 20 psi test as you don't have to go super fast to get results. Stock turbo I hit 20 psi by 2900 and with the 20g and MX1 cams I'm at 3100 rpm in 4th gear. If my MIVEC goes nutty like it has lately, I lose as much as 500 rpm spool. Every time I've every had a pre-turbo exhaust leak it usually slowed spool 300-500 rpm very easily.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:09 AM

I had performed a boost leak test last weekend because the first thing I had considered was a leak in the intake tract. I don't hear an exhaust leak from around the manifold. I guess I could potentially rule that out by smoking the exhaust system at work and double checking.

I normally start from like 2500 rpm in 4th gear to 20 psi for comparison. I might not be as far off as I think. Just searching through the forums here I see that most people who aren't running aggressive MIVEC settings with this turbo end up with similar spool up.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:13 AM

Hello Guys, this is my first post in here
I wanted to ask maybe someone had installed Brian Crower Stage 1 Cams?
I would kindly ask to share a Mivec map for those. I have some problems with finetune.
The car is on stock Turbo, on RON98 as here in Europe its available.
Street/Strip Specification
Plug and play application. Short duration for nice street manners, slight lope at idle. Excellent all purpose spec. OEM spring OK.BC0131272°/272°234°/223°.445"/.419"11.30/10.64BC0130

Thank you guys in advance.