Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Mysterious Issue with random idle surge and running lean.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious Issue with random idle surge and running lean.

Ok here goes first post.
Im normally a sit back shut up and let the experts talk kinda guy, I read these forums ALL the time and If I have an issue I consult the google machine to try and sort it all out.
But here's my story.
Ive waited most of my life to finally own one of these amazing cars and I finally did 6 months ago.
I knew I Had the target of 500HP in mind so I went off and did my due diligence and did some reasearch based on what others have done.
I bought A full ETS exhaust, downpipe, test pipe, ID1700CC, walboro 450 pump (267) intercooler, gtx3576R etc etc etc.

I brought everything to a reputable mechanic to have all the bolt ons installed since its been a while since Ive been under the hood of anything so I paid to have the parts installed because I wanted it to go off without an hitch. He also said he wouldnt want to use my 267 since hes heard of failures and insisted on using a 274. So I let him do his thing.
I brought the car to the tuner the weekend after it was finished and he explained to me that the car would have to be tuned to idle a little rich (11.0) to make it smooth and I was fine with that.
I work a ton of hours throughout the week so I really dont get much of an opportunity to drive the car that often. The following week I started it up and the cars idle would bounce all over the damn place like between 12 to 17. I spoke with the tuner and he said the ECU needs to learn STFT before itll smooth out, fair enough.
I tried to drive it the next day same deal no biggie the car wasnt stalling and under cruise it would be like 13 and wide open throttle it would hold a steady 11.5, Rock on.
The next weekend the car was taken for a spin and it started stalling at red lights but would crank back up and off I went. I brought it back to the mechanic with this issue and he couldnt find anything wrong with it. The car would idle for about 5 min then shutoff. The car didnt idle down or stutter, it would just die.
The drive home was a little rough I kept it out of boost until I could try and figure out what was the issue. I popped the trunk just to check the inline 30AMP fuse and the thing was super crispy blown. I informed the mechanic and he said that the pump must be drawing crazy amperage and that hed replace the fuse holder with a different brand.
We swapped out the fuse holder and the car seemed to still idle kinda rough and noticed that it would smooth out IF i turned the AC or wheel locked the steering wheel. So im thinking its a tune issue. I drove it home and the next day i let the car warm all the way up and as im placing the motor under very light load in 1st gear the car would buck really hard and the AFR would go crazy lean. So not wanting to even attemp what cruise or WOT for that matter would do I decided to park the car.
I pulled the back seat out and checked to see if there is some wiring grounding out on the frame or some other silly problem but I cant seem to find anything. Im also wondering if the fuel pump is defective or maybe a fuel line pinched and causing the pump to work so crazy hard so it blows the original 30AMP fuse.
Now tonite I started the car up just to idle it and the car idles just fine even under zero load and not running any AC etc. Im at my wits end with this car. I really want to enjoy this thing Ive waited my entire life for but I cant help but having the urge to punch a wall.
I would be beyond grateful to anybody that may have any insight to what may be causing this problem.
Hopefully I posted in the correct area.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune was done via ECUflash?
People would need the ROM to see whats going on most likely.
You introduced a lot of variables, MAF scaling (if you added intake), Injector scaling, fuel pump may have been incorrectly wired, etc.

Have you driven enough to gauge your fuel economy?
Is the car leaving spots of fluid?
Have you checked for small gremlin-like creatures living in the engine bay?
Old May 30, 2018, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in for the updates on this one.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever figure this out?

Originally Posted by Rick S
Ok here goes first post.
Im normally a sit back shut up and let the experts talk kinda guy, I read these forums ALL the time and If I have an issue I consult the google machine to try and sort it all out.
But here's my story.
Ive waited most of my life to finally own one of these amazing cars and I finally did 6 months ago.
I knew I Had the target of 500HP in mind so I went off and did my due diligence and did some reasearch based on what others have done.
I bought A full ETS exhaust, downpipe, test pipe, ID1700CC, walboro 450 pump (267) intercooler, gtx3576R etc etc etc.

I brought everything to a reputable mechanic to have all the bolt ons installed since its been a while since Ive been under the hood of anything so I paid to have the parts installed because I wanted it to go off without an hitch. He also said he wouldnt want to use my 267 since hes heard of failures and insisted on using a 274. So I let him do his thing.
I brought the car to the tuner the weekend after it was finished and he explained to me that the car would have to be tuned to idle a little rich (11.0) to make it smooth and I was fine with that.
I work a ton of hours throughout the week so I really dont get much of an opportunity to drive the car that often. The following week I started it up and the cars idle would bounce all over the damn place like between 12 to 17. I spoke with the tuner and he said the ECU needs to learn STFT before itll smooth out, fair enough.
I tried to drive it the next day same deal no biggie the car wasnt stalling and under cruise it would be like 13 and wide open throttle it would hold a steady 11.5, Rock on.
The next weekend the car was taken for a spin and it started stalling at red lights but would crank back up and off I went. I brought it back to the mechanic with this issue and he couldnt find anything wrong with it. The car would idle for about 5 min then shutoff. The car didnt idle down or stutter, it would just die.
The drive home was a little rough I kept it out of boost until I could try and figure out what was the issue. I popped the trunk just to check the inline 30AMP fuse and the thing was super crispy blown. I informed the mechanic and he said that the pump must be drawing crazy amperage and that hed replace the fuse holder with a different brand.
We swapped out the fuse holder and the car seemed to still idle kinda rough and noticed that it would smooth out IF i turned the AC or wheel locked the steering wheel. So im thinking its a tune issue. I drove it home and the next day i let the car warm all the way up and as im placing the motor under very light load in 1st gear the car would buck really hard and the AFR would go crazy lean. So not wanting to even attemp what cruise or WOT for that matter would do I decided to park the car.
I pulled the back seat out and checked to see if there is some wiring grounding out on the frame or some other silly problem but I cant seem to find anything. Im also wondering if the fuel pump is defective or maybe a fuel line pinched and causing the pump to work so crazy hard so it blows the original 30AMP fuse.
Now tonite I started the car up just to idle it and the car idles just fine even under zero load and not running any AC etc. Im at my wits end with this car. I really want to enjoy this thing Ive waited my entire life for but I cant help but having the urge to punch a wall.
I would be beyond grateful to anybody that may have any insight to what may be causing this problem.
Hopefully I posted in the correct area.
did you ever figure this out?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The bug
did you ever figure this out?
Dude posted, then ghosted.

If you are having similar issues, throw up a new thread with a log and rom.