Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS EVO X Engineering thread... Big update on page 3!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2008, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Damn, I hope we get the dual tip exhaust with no resonator PLEASE!!
We are going to offer a twin and single version of our exhaust. We will have it available to be quiet as can be or loud as sin.

Eric
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the X's ecu reacts very well to mod's. Very smooth and consistent power curves. First it was AYC, now its this.... Im jealous!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

So what is the AFR's with those mods and an untuned ECU?

Impressive numbers guys!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Great Job AMS! Its good to see that the 4B11 is making the power if the old 4G. BTW, we car going to want to hear some exhaust clips.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

These #s are extremely nice from an untuned ECU.

People should be cautious until the some long term testing can be done other than a bunch of dyno runs. Nobody really knows yet how the ECU is going to react/ADAPT over time and what driveability will look like in 1k-3k miles or longer, just take the 2007 STi/STi ltd. debacle as an example of how goofy the FACTORY ECU tuning is. Has anyone completely disassembled the X ECU/code yet???

For myself, I love big numbers but there is more to all of this than just making power, I want to see some safety/driveability also over the long term especially when guys are laying down close to 40k+ for a loaded Evolution.

Kudos on the work though, everything is looking very nice! I appreciate your committment to the platform!

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Feb 8, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, Eric. Glad to hear that you will be doing the access port. Markeddy, what issues with the 07 sti ecu are you talking about? Typicially, all ecu's from every manufacturer learn over time, which usually improve the driveability of the car when it's been modified. If anything, the new evo should adjust some settings over time, only slightly, though, mainly preventing boot spking and adjusting timing if knock is detected repeatedly. This should be a good thing, not a bad thing. Now, the 07 sti ecu might have had some wierd issue that I'm not aware of, but that has nothing to do with the evo x.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Awesome, Eric. Glad to hear that you will be doing the access port. Markeddy, what issues with the 07 sti ecu are you talking about? Typicially, all ecu's from every manufacturer learn over time, which usually improve the driveability of the car when it's been modified. If anything, the new evo should adjust some settings over time, only slightly, though, mainly preventing boot spking and adjusting timing if knock is detected repeatedly. This should be a good thing, not a bad thing. Now, the 07 sti ecu might have had some wierd issue that I'm not aware of, but that has nothing to do with the evo x.
The issues I was talking about were the stumbling/hesitation issues, and early COBB tuning and problems with the old symptoms resurfacing with the ECU re-learning due to how intelligent the factory programming of the ECU is from the factory. My point is that the Factory ECU mapping on both platforms is getting more and more complex with more and more variables being added to the factory programming all in the name of emissions. I bet dollars to donuts the ECU in the X is going to be more complex and more adaptive than the IX.

To make this clear to everyone, my goal is not to trash this thread. I am very impressed with AMS's committment to the X platform and I am just as excited to see how the long term driveability is in relation to power from the parts AMS has already installed. (This is being realistic)

Last edited by Smoothgangsta; Feb 8, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

People need to understand that some of us live in states i.e. Virginia, where the angled look of an exhaust is just another reason to get pulled over, and harassed about aftermarket exhaust (Plenty of evo owners, including myself have had to learn the hard way). So, I agree that a twin exhaust is needed. Anyway... Good job guys. Can't wait to see what's next!
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

i also like the twin exhaust look, id have to see the weight diff and power differeance... oh, and of course the sound...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markeddy
These #s are extremely nice from an untuned ECU.

People should be cautious until the some long term testing can be done other than a bunch of dyno runs. Nobody really knows yet how the ECU is going to react/ADAPT over time and what driveability will look like in 1k-3k miles or longer, just take the 2007 STi/STi ltd. debacle as an example of how goofy the FACTORY ECU tuning is.
This is an excellent point. Although, thankfully, no ill sideffects have been reported in the short term so far.

l8r)
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eric, what kind of dyno were you guys running the X on? Mustang or Dyno Jet etc? I'd be interested to know.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also like the tastefull and aggressive looks of the twin exhaust. There should be a way to make it flow about as good as the single exit. It's just going to take careful design to make it work. Sound is also a major concern. Eric, when you say that there will be options with these exhausts, and that one will be quiet and one will be loud, are there going to be two muffler options for each exhaust config, or is it that the twin exit will be the quiet one and the single be the loud one? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

that intercooler pipe is NASTY! If you made one with the "AMS" lettering I would buy that shiznit like 5 minutes ago
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I also like the tastefull and aggressive looks of the twin exhaust. There should be a way to make it flow about as good as the single exit. It's just going to take careful design to make it work. Sound is also a major concern. Eric, when you say that there will be options with these exhausts, and that one will be quiet and one will be loud, are there going to be two muffler options for each exhaust config, or is it that the twin exit will be the quiet one and the single be the loud one? Thanks.
I agree. I think a twin should actually be able to flow better, unless there's an issue with turbulence at the 1 into 2 pipe split.

l8r)
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ohEVO18
that intercooler pipe is NASTY! If you made one with the "AMS" lettering I would buy that shiznit like 5 minutes ago
Hell yea! I love displaying brand fanboyism.

Pssh, Stealth is for losers.

j/k

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X Engineering thread... Big update on page 3!