Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SES Light during brisk driving

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So basically the condition is at low rpm and moderate boost where the condition lasts for a few seconds which would basically mean 4-5th gears.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost creep probably. This can occur in a high gear, low rpm full throttle scenario. Happened on my sti a couple of times in 5th or 6th gear and hit fuel cut, threw a check engine code, and restarted the car a couple times and it was fine. When I got the car reflashed the problem was fixed, as fuel cut was increased and the boost curve was a bit more stable. Even after a proper tune, lugging a car in a high gear at low rpms will cause these spiking issues and is easly avoided by just downshifting to a lower gear to keep the turbo in it's efficiency range. My guess is that a tune will fix the issue just like it did with my sti, once the compensatory tables are adjusted. However, I think that you will always have issues with overboosting in these scenarios. You won't have the cel and limp mode problem once the car is reflashed, but you still have to worry about detonation if the boost spikes too high. Reflash or not, a problem that should be easily avoidable by downshifting instead of lugging the car. Just my two cents. Good find either way PDX, make sure to bring this to the attention of the various tuners and see if they can start investigating the proplem and find a fix, which will most likely be the reflash.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 3, 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We aren't hitting fuel cut though. The issue never occurred on the track, at all, which is a good sign. However, on the drive home from the track, it came on while driving up Sylvan hill, 5th gear, low RPM, lots of boost. But the crazy thing was it was only at 21psi. The light self clears after a day or so, but remains logged in the Tale of the Tap logs on the car. I am going to get this code a few more times, then go report it to the dealership for Mitsu reporting.

If this occurs to you, I recommend pulling over, turning the car off, then restarting. This will reset the safety condition the car goes into, which gives you really awful mileage.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little crap like must be frustrating. I say little b/c it's not causing harm to the car and once the computer can be hacked im sure it will be a rather easy fix. i've only been to 100 so yea. How does the car feel at 120 and above PDXEvo?