Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any more pics? I am making my own as well and will post pictures once it is finished. All the aftermarket ones that are currently available look horrible and they think real highly of their stuff with their pricing Some of the welding on the systems is so bad it looks like it was done with a stick welder from a guy with his mask on backwards and one arm tied behind his back
Old Mar 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KavMan
brightened the pic for you

click thumbnail

Crimped piping FTL... Id say that $350 was too much for crimped exhaust piping...

Also, you mention bullet muffler.. was that welded towards the front by the Cat?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

muffler and tips cost 160.00, that only leaves 165.00 for pipe and time for them to make it and weld it up. 325.00 im happy with paying I can fill the power difference and I love the sound
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wish it sounded a bit deeper but still pretty sweet!
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

it actually gets alot deeper up in the rpm when a load is on the engine
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by antics22
Crimped piping FTL... Id say that $350 was too much for crimped exhaust piping...

Also, you mention bullet muffler.. was that welded towards the front by the Cat?
what exactly is crimped piping???
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crimped or "crushed" bending is what most muffler shops do when they bend piping using their standard bender... Problem with that is that it "crips" or crushes the steel pipe at the bends... Depending on the degree of the bend, you can easily restrict a 3" pipe down to 2 1/2", 2", etc... defeating the purpose of a "free-flow" setup.

Thats the reason why you want "mandrel" bends, where the pipe retains its 3" diameter throughout the entire path (even around bends)....

The benefits are there especially for forced-induced cars.... Look at the picture(s)closely, you'll see what I mean.

As long as the OP is happy, thats all that matters... But frankly, not a setup I'd go with on my X.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=antics22;5378285]crimped or "crushed" bending is what most muffler shops do when they bend piping using their standard bender... Problem with that is that it "crips" or crushes the steel pipe at the bends... Depending on the degree of the bend, you can easily restrict a 3" pipe down to 2 1/2", 2", etc... defeating the purpose of a "free-flow" setup.

Thats the reason why you want "mandrel" bends, where the pipe retains its 3" diameter throughout the entire path (even around bends)....

The benefits are there especially for forced-induced cars.... Look at the picture(s)closely, you'll see what I mean.

As long as the OP is happy, thats all that matters... But frankly, not a setup I'd go with on my X

Crimped is not going to hurt the flow on this exhaust , there is only a few crimps and they are after the Y pipe, and the pipe size is very little reduced at those bends. There are 2 pipes not 1, some systems only use single exhaust so this will flow just as good. thats my thoughts
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:39 PM

No any little bend and crimp will reduce flow. The straighter the exhaust the better the flow.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DC5->EVO
No any little bend and crimp will reduce flow. The straighter the exhaust the better the flow.

I understand the physics of pressure drop with having bends, but to me, having 2 outlets that may not be perfect ,flow would still do as good as a very good single exhaust. and again thats how I think of. And I may be wrong but for the mods im doing I dont need a exhaust to flow 500horse of exhaust.