Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT clutch installed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACT clutch installed

We just installed the ACT clutch in our EVO X. As we expected the quality of the clutch is 2nd to none. The pedal feel is very similar to the EVO VIII/IX clutch. Engagement feels very smooth and it shifts great at high RPM, no lift shifting is not a problem. We would like to thank Daryl and Dirk from ACT for getting us the clutch so quickly.

Keith
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
We just installed the ACT clutch in our EVO X. As we expected the quality of the clutch is 2nd to none. The pedal feel is very similar to the EVO VIII/IX clutch. Engagement feels very smooth and it shifts great at high RPM, no lift shifting is not a problem. We would like to thank Daryl and Dirk from ACT for getting us the clutch so quickly.

Keith
Did you remove the Clutch delay valve?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:58 AM

^^
Wonder what it will put down on the DYNO now.

Compared to the IX's; is it difficult to swap clutches?

Whats the rating for your ACT clutch?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that Daryl from ACT said that the torque capacity was 512 lb ft, so...plenty. Keith, did you guys also install a stainless clutch line or possibly remove the restrictor pill from the slave cylinder? Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

We removed the restrictor in the slave cylinder but kept the stock clutch line. The clutch job in the X is similar to the VIII/IX. There are a lot more brackets/shields that have to be removed so its a bit more of a PITA. Not sure the exact rating on the clutch I have. I believe its the HD. I'm sure Daryl can chime in and give exact specs.

Keith
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:52 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Can you show us where the restrictor is? Is it similar to the VIII/IX? Easy to get out?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
We removed the restrictor in the slave cylinder but kept the stock clutch line. The clutch job in the X is similar to the VIII/IX. There are a lot more brackets/shields that have to be removed so its a bit more of a PITA. Not sure the exact rating on the clutch I have. I believe its the HD. I'm sure Daryl can chime in and give exact specs.

Keith
It's a shame the CDV (pill) wasn't removed prior to the replacement, I would of loved to hear your feedback on the difference the removal of the CDV made to clutch pedal feel/engagement.

I guess I will have to do it myself then....I assume it's on the end of the slave cylinder right?

James
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Keith

how long did it take to swap out the clutch? as im looking to do this
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

did you take any pics of the install?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How's the engagement point? Is it still high like the stock one?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to install this clutch in my X as it needs it worse than the old cars. I have had the standard HD pressure plate and street disc in my VIII for 28,000 miles with 200 drag launches...leaving the line with 125+hp shots of nitrous, plus all my auto x starts for the season. I left the restrictor pill in and the stock line and I've never had an issue, and I favor leaving the restrictor in. Leaving the line with 500lbs of tq has to be hell on my trans and case, and I think the restrictor being there plays a part in the reason I haven't ever hurt anything. I recently dynoed 515whp and 525wtq on a 175 shot and straight 93 octane and the clutch has never slipped.

All my friends tell me to get the twin discs...and yeah they shift much better. I can't shift my ACT at WOT...but I'm also not replacing trannies and transfer cases like they are with 150 less hp.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

We didn't take pics of the install. The restrictor is in the slave cylinder, just like on the VIII and IX. The engagement point of the clutch is pretty close to stock. I normally adjust the ACT's to grab higher but the engagement point of mine feels perfect right now.

Keith
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
It's a shame the CDV (pill) wasn't removed prior to the replacement, I would of loved to hear your feedback on the difference the removal of the CDV made to clutch pedal feel/engagement.

I guess I will have to do it myself then....I assume it's on the end of the slave cylinder right?

James
I only put about 300 miles on the car before we changed the clutch. Thats why I didn't remove the restrictor before. I took it out when we were putting the slave cylinder back on. It only take a few minutes to do. I like having it out because I like to have total pedal control on the launch. I ride the clutch harder then most people out of the hole so the restrictor makes it even worse.

Keith
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you launch the car without the restrictor pill in place, is it really rough feeling? My old STi launched like a champ, but had a more durable tranny config than the EVO, and I don't think that it had a restrictor pill in it.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We didn't take pics of the install. The restrictor is in the slave cylinder, just like on the VIII and IX. The engagement point of the clutch is pretty close to stock. I normally adjust the ACT's to grab higher but the engagement point of mine feels perfect right now.

Keith
That sux! Do you know if you can adjust it? I like my engagement points low. Right now it seems like the engagement point is so high. Any higher I swear I'm gonna knee myself in the face! haha

Quick Reply: ACT clutch installed