Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

First oil change Mobil 1 15w-50

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Exactly, This is what any modern multigrade oil is supposed to do. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings designate the oil’s viscosity; simply put - how thick or thin an oil is at a certain temperature. For example SAE 30 oil is “thinner” than SAE 50 oil. Because temperature affects how well oil flows, engine oil viscosity is usually rated at both high and low temperatures.

Modern multi-grade oils are designed to act like a thin oil when cold so that they can circulate through the engine quickly on start up, and like a thicker oil when hot, to provide the necessary engine protection. An example of a multi-grade oil designation is 10W-40. The 10W (W = winter) indicates how the oil would behave when cold, while the 40 is how it acts when hot.

This is why a 0w30 is such a good oil to choose because it provides unmatched protection on startup and still acts like a 30 weight oil when at operating temp. Plus, if you go with amsoil SSO like I recommended, it has the best base stocks and additives available, and is certified for competition use where high horsepower/heat will be present. I hope this helps you to make the best decision.
Yes it does, thanks alot. Could you share a few links to some info related to this topic?

I was basing the whole temperature where I live thingy based on this info >> http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/oil-change.html . Is this irrelevant based on the type of oil your recommending?

Last edited by forreal; May 16, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:00 AM

Factory recommended weight is 5-30 per the manual.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

wow sti2evoX, one thing we agree on haha.
im running 0w30 Amsoil too.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forreal
Yes it does, thanks alot. Could you share a few links to some info related to this topic?

I was basing the whole temperature where I live thingy based on this info >> http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/oil-change.html . Is this irrelevant based on the type of oil your recommending?
I will look for some internet sites to support this, but I called amsoil and spoke to oneof the technicians and he told me that the ambient temperature is not an issue in any vehicle that is liquid cooled. See, with some motorcycle engines and watercraft, the engines are air cooled so the ambient temperature demands that the oil chosen is appropriate for the temps that are ging to be seen. However, with cars and any vehicle that has a radiator, the engine temperature is regulated by coolant regardless of the ambient temperature.

The average temperature of a liquid cooled engine like that in all modern cars, is around 212-220 degrees farenheit. Amsoil oils have a flash point (temperature at which the oil breaks down and turns to sludge) of around 450 degrees plus. So, if you subtract the average engine operating temperature of 212 degrees from 450, then you're left with a 238 degree cushion of oil stability. So, unless you have 238 degree weather you have nothing to worry about.

Matter of fact, if the weather where you live gets that hot you have more important things to worry about than your car overheating, like your skin melting off! So, if the factory recommendation of a 30 viscosity oil is sufficient for any temperture, and a 0w30 gives you the best possible protection at start up and cold temps, then in my opinion that is the best oil that you can run in your car. The only exception to this is in extreme horsepower applications where a thicker viscosity oil is a good idea. AMSOIL SSO 0W30 FTW.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on Amsoil. Its all I run in everything I own.

Im suprised OilDoc isn't piping up about this thread?

Where are you Bob?
Old May 16, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

It comes with Mobil one fully synthetic 5-w30 motor oil. I will continue to use that.
Old May 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

i went to the dealer next to my house and they gave me 10-50. it gets kinda hot where i live. so does it matter?
Old May 16, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

^They shouldn't have done that. Read my above post about ambient temp and oil recommendations. Came straight from AMSOIL... I wouldn't worry too much, as it most likely won't hurt your car, but the thicker oil will create more parasitic loss and you will lose hp (and we all know with the X being as heavy as it is that it can't afford to lose a single pony). Just a thought...
Old May 17, 2008, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Come on OilDoc! Lets hear it from the pro!
Old May 17, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Come on OilDoc! Lets hear it from the pro!
Yes, Please!
Old May 18, 2008, 09:55 AM

I will look for some internet sites to support this, but I called amsoil and spoke to oneof the technicians and he told me that the ambient temperature is not an issue in any vehicle that is liquid cooled. See, with some motorcycle engines and watercraft, the engines are air cooled so the ambient temperature demands that the oil chosen is appropriate for the temps that are ging to be seen. However, with cars and any vehicle that has a radiator, the engine temperature is regulated by coolant regardless of the ambient temperature.

The average temperature of a liquid cooled engine like that in all modern cars, is around 212-220 degrees farenheit. Amsoil oils have a flash point (temperature at which the oil breaks down and turns to sludge) of around 450 degrees plus. So, if you subtract the average engine operating temperature of 212 degrees from 450, then you're left with a 238 degree cushion of oil stability. So, unless you have 238 degree weather you have nothing to worry about.

Matter of fact, if the weather where you live gets that hot you have more important things to worry about than your car overheating, like your skin melting off! So, if the factory recommendation of a 30 viscosity oil is sufficient for any temperture, and a 0w30 gives you the best possible protection at start up and cold temps, then in my opinion that is the best oil that you can run in your car. The only exception to this is in extreme horsepower applications where a thicker viscosity oil is a good idea. AMSOIL SSO 0W30 FTW.
Hey Sti2Evo,

I'm just wondering if you had found any of those interesting sites, or could you gimme a number to the amsoil line you called for info?

I've been doing some research in the following places:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
http://www.themotoroilsite.com
http://www.motoroilworld.com

Also I want to confirm which one of these pictures is the 'SSO' your speaking of, because I'm leaning towards buying some, based on the research I've been doing.

Last edited by forreal; May 18, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: I forgot to add my research links.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I haven't had time to look for any sites with more info as of yet, but amsoil has a bunch of good FAQs on their website. You can get the number off of their website, which is just www.amsoil.com. BTW, the SSO is the bottle on the left, as in Signature Series 0W30. The series 2000 was replaced by this. Hope this helps...
Old May 18, 2008, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I haven't had time to look for any sites with more info as of yet, but amsoil has a bunch of good FAQs on their website. You can get the number off of their website, which is just www.amsoil.com. BTW, the SSO is the bottle on the left, as in Signature Series 0W30. The series 2000 was replaced by this. Hope this helps...
It does, thanks again!
Old May 18, 2008, 03:05 PM

I wonder if someone could jump in and let me know the fluid specs for the transfer case and gearbox, plus any other items at the same time?
Old May 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

mobil 1 15w-50 my mechanic recommended this is due to the fact that my motor is 2.3 stroker.

any comments?

Quick Reply: First oil change Mobil 1 15w-50