Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird sound

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
AFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sound

Hey guys

Iīm new to the Evoworld. Iīve had my X for about 2 months now, 2300 miles or so on the clock and Iīve been noticing some weird sound coming from the engine or some electrical parts after the engine gets to the right temperature. Donīt hear it when itīs cold, or at least not as obvious.

I drive around 20-30 miles to work and when I slow down and drive in 1-3 gear I hear this sound quite "loudly". I canīt describe it other way but it sounds like a weird electrical motor making "vibrating noise". It goes away if I step on the clutch while driving but if Iīm in neutral, stationary, it revs up with the engine but itīs not as fast sounding as the engine itself. Gearbox?. The gearbox has the "break" shifting as many have mentioned regarding the X. Breaks into second and third sometimes.

Thought it might be something to do with the A/C motor or alternator sounds but I donīt know. Donīt know if this is usual on Evos but I thought Iīd ask you guys if you know what it is or if I should be worried about it.

Last edited by AFB; Jun 7, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 04:00 PM
AFB

Ok I went out for a spin.

I canīt hear it when itīs cold. I revved it to around 2000-3000 RPM when it was cold and let the car warm up to working temperature, didnīt hear it. Didnīt drive it until the temp was at the middle of the bar (working temp). Didnīt hear it.

But after about 5 minutes of driving it started coming in. Faintly. 10 minutes in it got more noticable. Went home, parked it and revved it up to 3000 RPM and itīs there. I canīt hear it when the car is idling in neutral. Revved it up slowly and I started hearing it in around 1800 RPM and up from there it just gets more noticable.

What can it possibly be? Is this something thatīs just "standard" on Evos / X or something I need to take care of? Bearings?

Last edited by AFB; Jun 7, 2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

is it a bang, bing, hissss, hummmmm, beeep, whoowhooo? need more description.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that if the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in that it's just normal clutch noise or transmission whine. Every manual car I've ever owned does this. Clutch in and no noise, clutch out and there's a slight hiss. If you are really worried about it and want peace of mind take it to the dealer and have a tech listen to it and diagnose it.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
AFB

I think Iīm gonna try to record this sound tomorrow. I canīt describe this sound in words.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
warranty work

that is unless you have installed an aftermarket air freshener inside the cabin. Then that means that you drive your car. Then that means that you streetrace your car. then that means your warranty is void due to improper use
Old Jun 7, 2008, 08:04 PM
AFB

Warranty is propably voided anyways. Imported the car from the US to Iceland. Iīve heard that Mitsu is PITA when it comes to warranty.

I am however going to have it inspected on Monday morning by a local Mitsu dealer here. If they smell bacon, Iīm contacting the dealer who sold it to me.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

No X's in Iceland?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 03:31 PM
AFB

Mine was the first and only one for about 2 months. There is another one here now. Blue, base model. No extras.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:21 PM

MMMM, you will have to bring the car back state side to get warranty, unless it is registered in the US, then you may be able to get help. Mits got pretty stinky with this back in Nov 2007 when US dealers began to sell Canadians because of price differences and thier dollar being par with the US dollar.

So Mits basically sent out some memos and for all practical purposes nullified the warranty, so most likely you're in trouble. A US registered car can get assistance out side US borders through warranty as long as it still has a US registration, good luck with this.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

I *think* i may know what your talking about. I think i am hearing the same sound. I'm new to evos / awd cars so coming from a from a fwd car, the first thing i noticed is the oscillating hum that the car makes as lets say i pop into neutral when approaching a red light. My assumption has been that its the drive shaft noise that i'm hearing.

Sound right? (ha, or is my car f'd )
Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

If it sounds like a coffee grinder on decel that is normal.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:43 AM
AFB

coffee grinder on decel is quite like it actually

Anyways, I went to the MMC dealership here. They made funny faces and didnīt know what it is.

Went to a Subaru, Honda, Nissan and Peugeot specialty workshop and the guy there thinks it has something to do with the alternator. He had heard very similar sound in a Nissan SUV if I remember correctly. Theyīre taking it in for inspection later.

This Mitsubishi "quality" thing is driving me insane though.. almost in a funny way. First off, when I got the car, the right Aero part on the rear bumper was loose. Fasten it with more double tape than it had originally. The hood wants to fly off everytime I pass a truck. Then the left sill spoiler came loose abit. Always a small gap near the front fender, I could push it in but it came back out after a short drive. Then after 2-3 weeks a gap started to show its ugly face between the sillspoiler and the carsill itsellf. 3-4mm wide. Thatīs not all. Thereīs this annoying rattle in the dashboard and finally today, when I was at the Subaru workshop the handbrake handle (with the Lancer Evo logo on) came off... oh dear lord
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, welcome to mitsubishi. Just wait till the staples pop out of the seat fabric near the harness holes and expose the ugly truth of just how cheaply made the seats, and well the rest of the interior, really is. I can't believe how mitsu cuts cost and cuts corners to keep the price down. Maybe it's because they have had such severe financial trouble over the years and they can't afford to offer the quality that is standard on the competition.

So what do they do? They use materials like a vinyl shift boot, they don't have the fabric under the harness holes sewn together but rather just barely have enough fabric to go under the cheap plastic cover and then just staple it into the foam! How ****ing cheap is that? It's embaressing actually, and I have just come to terms with the fact that mitsu builds the things that matter strongly, but everything ese is an after thought.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 9, 2008 at 10:23 AM.